Thursday, June 19, 2008

Show and Tell Friday

Show and Tell

Welcome to “Wings” as I join in with Kelli's Show and Tell Friday. To find more or to join in the fun go to
www.kellishouse.blogspot.com/

Today I would like to show and tell some things going on around my yard. First, the bad news. The terrible drought we have experienced the last couple of years has taken a toll on the many mature trees in the neighborhood. We have not come out unscathed. We had to cut down a wonderful giving tree, a Silver Maple that resided right outside my studio window.
Photobucket See the large maple at the far right which so graciously formed a privacy screen between properties. Today this is what the side yard looks like.
Photobucket
The mighty oaks that majestically stand sentinel in the front were showing signs of distress. So we had some pruning done on those.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
The saddest thing that has happened to our property is the loss of so many trees over the twenty years we have lived here. Ravaging storms have weakened and destroyed many of them.
Now, for some good news, there are a few smidgeons of color interspersed around the yard, although they struggle everyday for their subsistence.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket And my pride and joy, my first tomato of the season!Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. My mouth drools for home grown tomatoes...it's one thing in this world that just can not be duplicated.

    Your flowers are gorgeous. They look pretty healthy and vigorous with being in a drought. [we have drought conditions where I live too]

    Too bad about all the beauty in the trees. Sad.

    If you can find time, do drop by for my show n tell. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's too bad about the loss of that tree.

    The morning glory and other flowers are pretty. I love the blue hydrangea. We have a lavender one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry to hear about your trees, but I'm glad you are enjoying some beautiful colorful blooms around your yard!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pity with the trees, but it is still very green around your house ! the flowers are so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lost 2 HUGH trees which we had to cut down from the bad ice storm we had in December and we have another dead tree, hit by lightening that is going to have to come down :o( It is so sad.

    The color is lovely and we have a few green tomatos we are watching closely.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a shame about the loss of your trees, but your flowers are beautiful.

    Thanks for visiting me today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your yard still looks great but it is sad about the trees. Every time I hear about a terrible flood like they're having in Iowa, I think "Why couldn't some of that water go to the draught areas."

    Thank you for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carolyn,

    Thanks for the lovely comments you have left on my blog. Your flowers look fabulous!!! So lively and so much color - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a great garden and a beautiful blog, too

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so sad to loose trees! Your flowers are a nice bright spot, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Endless Summer Hydrangea. I have one in the back but no blooms just yet. Sorry about your trees. A lot of trees up here are being destroyed by the terrible rain storms we've had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. those blue flowers are gorgeous--I don't know what they are, but I would love some in my yard. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely yard thanks for the
    tour, I like bright flowers also,
    the purple and blue ones are soo
    pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~