Thursday, April 9, 2009

Celebrating Passover

Shema Yisrael, Adonai Eloheynu, Adonai Echad.
Hear, O Israel, The Lord is our God, The Lord is One.Devarim / Deuteronomy 6:4, Mark 12:29
Passover began at sundown last night, Wednesday,April 8th. Even though it is basically tonight, our family will be celebrating the passover seder tomorrow night.
"A Passover Seder is a joyous occasion, including singing and dancing. Just as many Christians would be highly offended if someone were to get Protestant or Catholic materials and "act out" the Lord's Supper or a Mass, "just to see what it's like", many Jews are offended by Christians who--for all practical purposes--are "acting it out" instead of actually celebrating it. "
We are very excited about celebrating and participating in the haggadah (telling) of ceremony, praise, and worship. I only wish I had been with it more when Amanda was younger so she could have celebrated with us.
Photobucket
May the Lord bless you and protect you.May the Lord deal kindly and graciously with you.May the Lord bestow His favor upon you and grant you peace.
(Numbers 6:24-26 )
One recipe I will be using for the charoset, the sweets, representing the mortar the Jews used while in captivity in Egypt.
The Clay of apples, nuts, cinnamon, and wine, (Charoset).
red apples 1/2 to one per participant,
chopped nuts, pecans one tablespoon per apple
Passover wine splash
cinnamon teaspoon
one cinnamon stick, optional
Core and chop up (or coarsely grate) into small pieces apples.
Add about one tablespoon of chopped nuts per apple (I use pecans).
Spice with a dash of cinnamon and a splash of Passover wine. Mix well. If prepared some time in advance of Seder a little bit of lemon juice may be added to help keep it fresh.
A little is placed on the Ceremonial Seder plate, a small glass dish on the plate may be used to keep it from running. A piece of cinnamon stick may be placed in the apple mix on the Seder plate to symbolize the straw they had to collect to make the bricks.
This charoset is eaten along with bitter herbs (horseradish sauce) which represents the suffering of the Jews while in captivity.
This interesting article explains the significance of Passover to our Lord Jesus Christ. God instituted Passover in the Old Testament for all His children to celebrate for all time. I am so glad to finally know and obey God's mandate! Even as Jesus celebrated Passover, so we who call Him Savior should align our hearts and actions with His!

3 comments:

  1. Hi:
    I was just stopping by to see what you were up to. For some silly reason my hand, which was so much better, is really hurting today so I am not up to typing. So I made this little message to let you know I still came by...and I loved your post because I always do!

    Roberta Anne...The Raggedy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your link on my comments post. It caught my as I was priviledged to celebrate the Passover (seder) last night with a group of friends. Our feast in the middle we were able to have roast lamb from our own field at Pilgrims Hall, a Chritian recource centre that I am involved with. Very moving and very enjoyable. We had a dear Jewish friend to officiate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really special celebration, Mom. I'm so proud of all the research you've done and to know that my family is honoring God and celebrating his mercy and love in this way. I will be thinking of you and hope to see pictures soon!

    Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~