Monday, April 6, 2009

Happy Homemaker Monday



Photobucket
For more HHM visit sandra at the Diary of the SAHM!
On my bedside table:
The Haggadah, for the Passover seder this week.


On my TV: The Love Comes Softly series on hallmark! I love those films!

On the menu for tonight: Pizza from Bellacino's

On my To Do List:
reclaim my ruined laundry from Saturday- remove the lipstick stains! BAH!!!!
clean the kitchen ruthlessly and organize the cabinets

New Recipe I will try this week:
Traditional Apple-Walnut Charoset
Epicurious March 2006
yield: Makes about 4 cups
This is a standard Ashkenazi (Eastern European) recipe, with a little brown sugar added for depth.

Ingredients
3 medium Gala or Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
1 1/2 cups walnut halves, lightly toasted, cooled, and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sweet red wine such as Manischewitz
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
Preparation
In large bowl, stir together all ingredients. Store, covered, at room temperature until ready to serve.
Notes: ·l;For the most even texture, we recommend dicing the apples by hand. However, to save time, they can be chopped in the food processor — just be careful not to overprocess.

In the craft basket:
I hope to make a couple more easter cards to send out on Wednesday

Homemaking Tip for this week:
Here are some general soup tips:
* Start your meats and veggies in cold water. It helps to draw out the flavors. * Always simmer on the lowest temperature you can and cover.
* Use dried herbs. They seem to work better for soups than fresh herbs.
* Salt at the end. I usually add my other spices at the beginning and then, at the end, add the salt and a little more of anything else I think it may need. Soup takes a lot of salt. If your soup just doesn't seem to have any flavor, chances are you need more salt.
* If you get too much salt, add a potato to it to cut the salty taste. (The potato will absorb some of the salt.)

Favorite Blog Post of the week (mine or other):
Stacey's blog, A Lamb in the Field about life in Scotland, her holy week post and all about her precious lambkin, Rosebud!

Favorite photo from last week:

Photobucket
I love this time of year!!!!

Lesson learned the past few days:
When opportunities arise that you really would rather dismiss and but you know that doing them is most important to your livelihood, just dont think, just get up and put that foot right in front of the other. It is the getting started that is the most difficult. It really is worth the trouble and the effort. ( I am speaking of the sub job I really, really didnt want to do today bit I really really needed to do it
On my Prayer List:
My family, Amanda's job, Sunday school listing, our nation

Devotionals, Scripture Reading, Key Verses:
Responsorial PsalmPs 27:1, 2, 3, 13-14
R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.The LORD is my light and my salvation;whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.When evildoers come at meto devour my flesh,My foes and my enemiesthemselves stumble and fall.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.Though an army encamp against me,my heart will not fear;Though war be waged upon me,even then will I trust. R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORDin the land of the living.Wait for the LORD with courage;be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R The Lord is my light and my salvation.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the "Love Comes Softly" series too. I heard there is a new one coming out this coming Sunday! I hope I heard right because it is such a gentle and wonderful show! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post and what a great lesson learned, I completely agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post Schotzy! I Love the bunny vase. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~