Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday Morning This and That

I was visiting with Marie this morning and I fell in love with her title for today so I had to incorporate it onto my post as well. It seems to be a day to share about our wonderful yesterdays. Our Thursday was so truly fabulous. Lynn and I were up with the chickens preparing to meet our best friends at church by 6:15. I tell you, you have to get up pretty early with this bunch of precious folk if you want to get 3 seats tgether on the bus,so Dottie, Bill, Gerri, David, and Lynn and I converged on the scene about the same time even though the bus didnt pull out of the parking lot until 7. Then we were off to Monticello. About 2 and a half hours up the Shenandoah Valley, it was great to leave the driving to Mike, as we settled in for a glorious day of fun and fellowship.
The ride up the Valley was so beautiful as the sunlight was awakening.
Photobucket
Dottie and her brother, Bill, sat across from us and Gerri and David sat behind us and we made merry all the way to our destination!
Photobucket
Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, is absolutely gorgeous!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
From every angle the view is captivating!
The architecture and gardens sublime!
Photobucket
Photobucket

By noon we had finished our tour, and had perused the newly opened visitor center, watched the film and shared a iced lemonade. Then we were ready for our luncheon at Michie Tavern at the foot of Jefferson's, "Little Mountain"!!
Photobucket
As we disembarqed from our travelling coach, we were met by our serving wench and led inside to our cozy and delicious banquet of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, beets, corn bread, cole slaw, and fresh baked peach cobbler! Oh, my goodness, was it ever delicious!
Following our luncheon another wench led us on an amazing tour of the tavern and grounds...
Photobucket
Gerri and David listened with rapt attention...
Photobucket
While Dottie and Lynn posed sweetly for the camera.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
The tavern is nestled so cosily amid other outbuildings reminiscent of the times, and one can almost hear the clattering clip clops of horses of weary travellers seeking shelter, a warm meal, and a friendly welcome.
Photobucket

Photobucket
But we couldnt linger... we still had one more stop to go...
Photobucket
One of Jefferson's nearby neighbors was another man of great renown...
none other that President James Monroe. Soon we were turning up this marvelous avenue lined with ash trees....
Photobucket
This opened out to pristine pasture land and a beautiful farm.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
The August flowers and late summer bird and katydids were all vying for our attention at every turn! The senses were completely attuned to the reverie nature was performing around us. It was quite magnificent.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Lynn and David are quite enthralled with our guide's recounting of the building of the farm.
Our guide was amazingly knowledgable and quite expressive in the details and nuances of
every event and artifact... but I was taken with the spreading, majestic oak tree that overtook the scene!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Our tour concluded with our eventual escape out a side door ... I mean, I really was entranced by our guide... but he was so long winded and theatrical ... my feet and legs were screaming for relief after about an hour and when the opportunity presented itself, Lynn and I made a beeline for the door.. only to be followed by others one at a time who sought the relief of the airconditioned bus that was waiting down the lane! There comes Dottie, now.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I did say, relief... didn't I! Oh, we did have an amazingly wonderful time together, just as good friends do!

3 comments:

  1. FIVE pictures of me! ARGH!!!!!
    All I can say is that I hope that Bill and I were not snoring on that last one :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics- glad to see that you all had such a fun day together! :)

    Love you and hope you have a good weekend!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day you had with your husband and friends Schotzy! I loved seeing all the pictures and that meal sounds fabulous! I especially like the last picture. That looks about what I'd be doing at the end of it all! lol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~