Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Three or more Tuesday

Photobucket



Visit Tam at The Gypsy's Corner for more TOMT..

Today for my Three or More Tuesday I would like to share about my surprise birthday party last night... well, I actually turn 60 day after tomorrow, which fact, helped in keeping this event a complete surprise.... I thought Lynn was just taking us and my parents out for dinner.

We left home at abut 4:20 and picked up mom and dad then we proceeded to drive all around town looking for a place to eat for the next hour.... when we arrived in the next county I should have had my suspicions, but even then , I just had no idea!! Eventually, we pulled in to Amanda's in-laws driveway.... and my expectations suddenly soared,,,

because by this time I was becoming quite hopeful for an amazing repast..... and I was not to be disappointed!!!


Photobucket
To say that this event was well thought out and executed is just plain lame.... To know our hostess, Jan, you must know that her flair for creating themed parties is nationally acclaimed.... her renown for party planning stretches half way across America and probably beyond....my party took us on a trek around the world in commemoration of my life and family!!!.. We traveled from my home town... to Europe,, to Asia, and back again.. all in one beautiful festive, delicious evening!!!
Photobucket
To begin every place setting was completely personalized and spectacular...

Photobucket

My place mat was of Williamsburg to celebrate the years I taught Virginia History... Lynn's was of the State Capitol since he is a state employee... Mom's was a rooster... being a Cox she loves to crow... ( no she loves roosters.... HEEHEE) and dad's was the Old Mabry's Mill.. very appropriate!
A close up shot reveals my Korean linen napkin which is a youngster swinging which is a traditional pastime for young ladies.... to remind me of my darling daughter, Amanda!!!

Photobucket

For our appetizer Jan transported us to Europe... with a fabulous German cheese and cracker competing with an English cheese and cracker... Lynn and I lived in Germany the first year of our marriage..and of course, I long to visit the United Kingdom... soon.... as my genealogical roots are calling my name!!! A local apple cider from Botetourt County... my school division..... rounded out the first course.... then we were on to new locales.... with a wisk and fourish Jan changed the setting....


Photobucket
Photobucket
and we were off to Asia... a lovely Korean doll and china plate graced center place.... and Kevin's amazing dinner was served... including Korean Bulgogi, a fabulous asparagus and beef dish, Korean soup, chicken and veggies,and delicious sweet and sour tilapia... yumyum!!!!! All served over a wonderful stir fried rice laden with veggies and delicate spices!! (Note, the beautiful vase commemorating the Hokies as our kids ' Alma mater!!)

Photobucket
You will note an all new place setting and new tone for the festivities.... conversation lulled as we all enjoyed the savory meal.... with each course I was presented a gift bag of goodies which I will share about directly... but whallah!!

Again the scene was transformed... and we returned to America just in time for a patriotic celebration...
Photobucket
Photobucket
with a twist of my beloved Scotland thrown in to make everything just perfect.
Photobucket
Even though our dear friends Sarah and Wally couldn't attend Sarah sent along her marvelous shortbread's for the occasion which served with a German coffee , UMMMMM!! and Jan's wonderful fruited pudding... made for a festive end to a fabulously memorable birthday dinner!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
And since dad's birthday is this month as well....
Photobucket


he got to celebrate, too!!!



So now to the amazing and significant gifts....

My lovely birthday card was completely approrpriate for me.... as I love to enjoy my daily cup of tea and dream about far away places on the moors and highlands of Scotland..



Photobucket
The white bag of gifts sported a tribute to Germany and England...
Photobucket
Photobucket

Pictured here are the gorgeous German napkins, and German chocolate covered butter biscuits... ummmm!,, and some local Apple Butter processed just beyond my school where I taught for 30 years.....Scottish collection of jams and jellies,, and a tin of Highland blend tea...
Other bags featured the following wonders
Photobucket
A Symphony Bar celebrates the talents of our marvelous children Amanda and Joshua, living in Boston,,, there were 2 boxes of Boston Tea Party Tea, as well as some Virginia Hubs peanuts, and Korean stir Fry sauce!
Photobucket

Also in tribute to our kids,, there was a bottle of Cape Cod dressing and a package of Massachusettes cranberries.... each and every delightful article special in the memories each one evoked in such a personalized and symbolic manner.... Well, I did say, Jan is an artistic party planner extraordinaire!!! And this celebration will go down in the annuls of my life as an amazing celebration of life and family... Jan and Kevin... there are no words adequate to express my heart felt delight and wonder for last evening! So I revert to my favorite exclamation!

YAYA!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a wonderful party and delicious food! I wonder if Kevin & Jan can freeze some leftovers for Christmas?! I don't think I've ever had his bulgogi! So glad you all had such a special visit together. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful pics! Jan and Kevin (if you see this comment), thank you again for your thoughtfulness! We were certainly thinking of you all and there in spirit!

    Love you,
    Amanda

    PS- That Cape Cod Salad dressing looks delicious! I'll have to look out for it (or go down to the Cape and get some!).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~