Saturday, August 14, 2010

Journey to Boston part 2

Photobucket

I've already stated how much we are grateful to God for the wonderful traveling conditions... even though it was the hottest part of our season the sky/ clouds gave us glorious scenes and precious shade for our driving pleasure.. and by midafternoon we were traveling along state route 6 in SE New York thankful for our GPS. The historic township of Warwick is a delightful restful hamlet nestled in the southern most tip of the Catskill Mountains.... a sleepy kind of place... I was reminded of Rip Van Winkle and almost dreaded going to sleep that night.... well, there may have been a few other reasons as well.

I was excited to stay at the Warwickshire Inn ... its Victorian ambiance did suit me to a tea!
Photobucket
and our hostess, Stella, couldnt have been more gracious.... we were the only guest that night and it certainly wasnt the proprietor's fault that there was a power surge that knocked out the tv and the bedside lamps... unbeknowst to us at the time....
Our room, the Devonshire Room, was so lovely and we were so weary,, when the power was knocked off for just a bit upon our arrival we didnt notice... we were too busy collapsing on the delicious sofa at the foot of our bed and taking a bit of a snooze...
Photobucket Upon our awaking it was time for dinner so we enjoyed exploring the village and fell upon the most cosy and quaint Irish Pub... the Blarney Station.. completely authentic in decor and cuisine we enjoyed one of our favorite meals of the trip... fish and chips, Irish soda bread, and my first taste of Guinness... (sh) but I can tell you, ... it shan't be my last. (Sh)...

When we returned to our room we noticed that the side door was unlocked yet there was no one there... for me,,, a tad disconcerting for such a large place... so many places to hide... we happily ensconced ourselves behind our locked door and settled in.... much to our chagrin minus any tv viewing or bedside lighting... now there were lights to be sure,, but an overhead light in a room surrounded by windows just didnt seem to suit... especially in a house where we were all ...ALONE!
So since we were so tired and had a long trek ahead of us on the morrow.. we decided the best thing to do was retire at 8:30 and get a good rest.....
Except .... you know these marvelous grand old victorians arent suited for central air... I mean, it's too disruptive to tear them all out to install.. and our room had a new window unit... that was a bit tempermental.... well, it worked just fine and for that we are grateful!!! But the rattling and the clunking about every 10 minutes was a bit unsettling..... we just couldnt get used to it although it did help to drown out the unmistakable other odd and disquieting sounds in the night.... but suffice it say I was awake about every other 10 minutes through the night.... thinking.. wondering.... wishing for morning! And then ...it was....
Photobucket

Now it certainly isnt the proprietor's fault that I happen to have a very active imagination.

And upon the light of day everything was just so wonderfully cheery and lovely... I mean I can just imagine how the owners felt when they were first shown this place by the realtor... I mean who could resist its charms?

Photobucket
I got out of bed and went exploring...
the adjoining room to ours sported a lovely stained glass insert!!
Photobucket
This gorgeous hallway seating area screamed,, come sit and enjoy a wee cup of tea!
Photobucket
or perhaps you'd prefer the downstairs hallway...
Photobucket
Well, I settled for the parlor in one of these comfy armchairs... just mesmerized by the details!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Ever the collectors the owners certainly enjoyed filling this Manor House with treasures through the eras... and what amazing architechural detail!!

Speaking of detailing.. my favorite was this dining room...

Photobucket
The moldings were exquisite....
Flowers from the garden welcomed us to breakfast... and what a breakfast it was!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
and the coffee
Photobucket
was perfect! Just right for that second and third cupful as Stella regaled us with uproarious tales about the wondrous village of Warwick, how eclectic it is home to writers and actors on Broadway and how neighborly and safe and quiet the town is .... and goodness there were famous artists living on both sides of the property.... all too soon it was time to pack the car and head north to Amanda's!!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Pink Saturday!
    I was enthralled with your experience at the beautiful bed and breakfast.....they are my favorite places to stay, but I do want them quiet!
    I know that the "quirks" add to the adventure, though!
    I, too am Irish....my maiden name is Gillmor and we have the history of three brothers coming to America.....I am going to have to look up the Gaelic spelling of my name...how fascinating!
    Jil

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~