Tuesday, November 19, 2013

THanksgiving Inspiration

Better Not be late
Click the photo to   return to  FInding the Inspiring!
I am trying  very  hard to  keep up    with   my family traditions this year, even though,  this will be the first year that  my  parents  won't be with us   in my  whole life of 63 years.Sadly, they  are now living in separate  nursing facilities and a re both  too fragile to travel... The kids live too far away to join  us,  so  this year it may  be just the two of us.... unless  we decide to invite  someone  over....    Thanksgiving  is one of  our most favorite holidays....  reminiscent of huge family gatherings, .... we  have  watched  the years  go by and each year it seems  the table  is  becoming  very much more  intimate..I still   put my all into  the  decorating, however, and  I  do plan to   fix  the  turkey and all the trimmings... then pack it up and  take it to  mom and dad    so they  can  enjoy the  savory  tastes of the season!
 Last year the table looked like this

    and  as I   walked about   our home     I  saw  repeating autumnal  hues in every room...




When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of this old favorite..

"Over the river and through the woods
Trot fast my dapple gray.
Spring over the ground
Like a hunting hound
On this Thanksgiving Day, Hey!
Over the river and through the woods
Now Grandmother's face I spy.
Hurrah for the fun,
Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie."

My parents and I would sing it every year on our way to grandmother's we'd go.... up the very long 90 miles of mountain road it seemed to t ake forever... I couldnt wait to get there.... wondering which of the cousins and aunts and uncles would be there already..Grandpa was a dairy farmer in the 1950's and going to their home was like living in a Currier and Ives print...the house burned down over 25 years ago but this farm house reminds me a bit of the place




although my heart tells me Grandpa's home was larger much more lovely... with several boxwood bedecked steps leading up the wrap-around porch and it sat prominently on a knoll surrounded by piny woods all about..

It was flanked by the dairy barn and out buildings including the farm-hand's house, the woodshed, and the smoke house.




Perhaps the lane  leading up to  it  drew me in... ,   but  grandpa had   clean a nd sturdy  fence rows    and  ever so often  you passed over the  cattle guards  that were so  difficult to manuever  on  foot.
But the heart of the home was  grandma's kitchen..
Something about  this photo reminds me of  it...   so cheery  and warm...  but  grandpa  made  grandma  a gorgeous  hexagonal  dropleaf table  that opened wide   then was  set with myriad  chairs of various    shapes and  colors...  and the  savory  aromas of  baking  permeated  the scene...  the  delicious dressing,    the  wondrous   scent of   baked apples, cinnamon  in her  apple  raisin walnut  cake...  oh my, I  want a piece of that!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I just loved this journey to your grandparents home. I'm now humming that tune in my head and longing for a piece of that apple raisin walnut cake! Thank you for sharing these memories and for the link back to my blog. So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet! wish i could have seen their house. i imagine it looked like aunt tommye's.
    love you!
    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet post- wish i could have seen their farmhouse-- i'm guessing it looked a lot like aunt tommye's house! love you and proud that you're carrying on thanksgiving traditions!
    a

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~