Tuesday, February 18, 2014

You Just can't get A Cup of tea Big Enough

You can't get a cup of tea big enough
or a book long enough to suit me.


Last week I shared about my Book Chat Tea coming up next month...
I love the above tea quote by CS Lewis because I naturally think of him when I think of any type of book chat...There was a period of my life when I was an avid reader of Lewis, I am thinking primarily of his lovely autobiographical book about his dear wife, Surprised by Joy... he spoke of 
his Oxford University days when he taught 
literature and philosophy, and joined the group
known as The Inklings, an informal collective of 


writers and intellectuals who also counted among their members J.R.R.R Tolkien.



It was through conversations with group 


members that Lewis found himself re-embracing


Christianity after having become disillusioned with

the faith as a youth.... can't you just imagine their
round table discussions over cups of tea and 


probably more than a few dainty morsels! 


Obviously, as well, the room would necessarily 
be very likely rather smoke filled with the savory 
scent of tobacco from most probably more than  one pipe... I forego the smoke, but 
this has become the inspiration for my Book ChatTea. 
Upon a bit of research, I cant help but wonder if 
the Inklings ever met at the Old Parsonage
Hotel...near the University..


decadently modern now, I can imagine 70 years 
ago, the tearoom there would have been a 
welcoming locale for such gatherings.
Now with the popularity of tea in this century the elements have become what I would think were too posh and refined for a gentleman's cosy nook fitted for lively discussion....
or perhaps he just invited his group to his 
comfortable home

the Kilns.

So this is what I am talking about


source


A room, well stacked with  books....   that is   my  idea of   a beginning of preparation...  Be watching for  I'm  beginning to  plan the menu!

A Return to Loveliness@ A Delightsome Life



Friends Sharing Tea @ Bernideen's Tea Time Blog


Cottage Style Linky Party@ http://lavendergardencottage.blogspot.com 




 

1 comment:

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~