Monday, March 24, 2014

Tea Day..Mr. Lewis Would Have Been proud!


 Today  dawned   chilly and damp...just the kind of day   for a fire  in the fireplace....
 a cosy kind of day perfect  for spending with   friends!
And that is  wonderful  because 
 today was my Book Chat Tea! 
What a   marvelous   time we shared...
I know I loved it, and I  pray  the girls enjoyed it, too...
  I set the menu  weeks ago....
as well as , the theme....
  which was  to recreate    an English tearoom atmosphere  and  enjoy  English morsels. 
A lovely  British  blogger, Marie,  had  some recipes  for   tea sandwiches   which sounded  perfect for   the occasion.     Because   another element of the theme  revolved around  CS  Lewis and his love for  deep discussion, books and tea,   I  searched for   items  he might enjoy...  Marie  introduced me to  Gentleman's Morsels...  which were a huge hit.
The recipe was certainly simple enough as well.
8 thin slices  bread
apricot jam
1/4 lb very thinly sliced smoked ham
Dijon mustard 


I, also,  had Benedictine  and  egg salad 
sandwiches.
Benedictine~
2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened $
1 cup peeled, seeded, and finely chopped cucumber $
1/2 cup minced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons mayonnaise $
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
48 white bread slices
 this  recipe would feed an army...  I  only  made about  5  sandwiches  and halved them,

I  made the  Cinnamon Chip Scones   I shared  previously


 and served them up  with   fresh homemade clotted cream....

 I served the  food  in the parlor and  allowed everyone to serve themselves... the tea   was served in the  dining room...


I love how  Dot is  demonstrating   the proper  way to  hold    her  cup!  She is taking  her task so seriously,  which makes it all the more fun!
   

 Lynne enjoyed   guarding the  food....  I just love     these gals...they  are such a   blessing to me!

 A marvelous  thing... to balance a  plate of dainties on one's knee  while  debating the    deeper truths of God's Word!....   A    glorious morning  was   shared by all!

  


I am  sharing on 



A Return to Loveliness

10 comments:

  1. Your tea and luncheon displays, along with the ambient decor for the meeting are lovely and I'm sure everyone enjoyed the thought you put into the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that looks like your tea was a total success...on several different plains! Wonderful! What a blessing to talk about the Truth with friends! Thanks so ,uch for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gathering to share the Truth and books with your friends! Everything from the tea treats to your china and setting, is fabulous! I'm so glad it was a huge success but then we all knew it would be. Wish I could have joined you. I really enjoy reading CS Lewis and it made a perfect tea atmosphere for you and your friends. Thank you for sharing this with Tea Time and have a lovely week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book chat tea looks wonderful. I know you worked hard on making this special for your friends. Nothing like tea and books! Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely group of ladies! You must have had a wonderful time together. You really blessed them with your loving preparations. Everything looks amazing. The blue and white transferware set up looks grand.
    Happy spring!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your did a wonderful job on your book chat tea. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there - I am so glad you posted and linked at Friends Sharing Tea as I think your tea time was smashing and loved all your ideas! I know the ladies loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes. How delightful this must have been - I would have loved to have sat, enjoyed the tea and discussion with you! I am delighted that you shared with A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes, I'm sure this was a marvelous time - I would have loved to sit with you, to enjoy the tea and the discussion! I am delighted that you shared with A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. How could the girls not love it? Sounds like a perfect day with friends and yum! Wish I had one of those scrumptious scones! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~