Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Year of Hope and Favor


I am   so completely   enamored with this season....  I  love to  just  tweak  my   home decor a little bit each day..

I am toying with   inviting my best  gal pals for an Autumnal brunch soon.. to be held in the  sunroom.
So I  have been  tweaking  my apple table...
Of course I would be serving  Apple Spiced tea in my  gorgeous  Franciscan  Apple  tea cups.

ON the menu~ 
  ~ a delight we were served at the Swiss Woods B&B recently!




When cooler temperatures arrive, a warm breakfast appetizer hits the spot. Apples baked with oats and cranberries creates a yummy favorite for guests in Hot Springs.With mist rising off the lake, a roaring fire in the dining room fireplace, and the scent of baking apples: a great way to start the day! 

INGREDIENTS

5 large apples (Granny Smith or Braeburn), peeled, cored & sliced
1 cup regular oatmeal (not quick oats)
2 cups apple cider
1 cup cream, milk, or soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium saucepan, bring cider and cream to a low boil. Add apples, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir. Add oatmeal and cranberries, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil and decrease oven temperature to 375 degrees, and continue baking for 30 more minutes. Serve in small bowls, topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a few dried cranberries. Enjoy! 

Now continuing with the apple theme...
 I want to share the devotional I have worked up for   the garden club next week. I just feel the Lord  speaking to me about this because today is a very  High Holy day  in His calendar! 
Rosh Hashanah.. the beginning of the  new year,
to be celebrated with  joy and awe!
First, I would pass around this simple platter:
  and then ask those who are  inclined to participate to feel free to  take  an apple and dip  it in the   honey  and enjoy the  sweetness...as I share this devotional which I have  worked on today  very diligently, so as not to offend anyone, but give the historic  significance   of this season.
   
I am a real traditionalist ,a student of   Judeo-Chrisitan heritage  as it relates to the world and  my faith.  So  I wanted to  take a moment to  share that we are  midst of  a very  significant season…actually the  10 Days of Awe   beginning with  Rosh Hashanah which marked the beginning of the  new year and  runs until Yom Kippur. According to tradition,, The apple represents the Shekhinah the Glory of God During Rosh HaShanah Shekhinah is watching us and evaluating our behavior during the past year and determines  our   judgment or our blessings.. eating apples dipped in honey represents our hope that the Shekhinah will judge us kindly and look upon us with sweetness and favor.  Looking at the ancient calendar  we see this is  the new year 5775  which  in Hebrew   which means  We hope God  sees us with favor.
Actually, the  5 at the beginning and the end in hebrew  both  mean "favor" ...  a very hopeful  significance!
Blessed are you, , king of the universe who creates the fruit of the tree. May it be Your will, that you renew for us a good and sweet year of favor .  Amen and Amen


3 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I used to work with an organization who taught basic Biblical Hebrew and shared on the Hebrew roots of Christianity and taught about the Feasts. Great info! The oatmeal recipe looks wonderful as well. Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post! At present, my hubby is reading a book about the relationship between the Hebrew roots and Christianity. Your recipe sounds delicious and I love your apple theme. Thank you for sharing this at Tea Time and Happy Autumn!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a yummy variation of the baked oatmeal we've had before-- i'll try that sometime!

    love you!
    a

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~