Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Hodge Podge Wednesday



1. October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day.  No, I did not see those  or any of the sequels.... Don't know why, but just didnt appeal to us I guess.... but Fall of '85 was a turning point in our lives. It was the week of November the 4th... and over that weekend we received over 12 inches of rain in a very short time... and our city was experiencing a 100 year flood... 
 Our road was washed out on one end and flooded so deeply on the other that an elderly couple actually drown in their house.... On Monday of that week.. we got the call that was about to change our lives... We had been waiting for 15 months to adopt our daughter from South Korea and she was due to arrive that Thursday in Philadelphia... Praise God we were spared from rain damage.. and the nursery had been waiting for several months... So on Wednesday my parents, Lynn, and I rented a SUV and drove to Lancaster, PA... We got up the next morning and drove on to Philly and checked in at the hotel adjacent to the International Airport. Amanda's flight was due in around 9:30 pm so that afternoon Lynn and I did a dry run with the hotel valet driver to the airport.. he was more than happy to show us the ropes when he knew what we were up to.. We didnt want to get all tied up in the dark and not make the most amazing appointment we had ever had... we were about to finally become parents.. I was 35 and he was 36... Amanda was always called the "Flood of 85 Baby"  for some time after that.... 












but our home was thereafter flooded with blessings and love ever since!

2. If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?  I  am  such a huge romantic...  one of my favorite authors is  Lynn Kurland  

who write of  time travel   back to  the medieval  days of  Great Britain...  the days of  chivalry,  great  morality,,, and mortality....  But her stories also turned out  very well....   and  they g ave me a  great  interest in medieval history....  my alter ego  would  love to  travel back in time.....  just say when....

3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass). Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good? 
The Bible says the closer we get to the end of days   information would  be advancing at  a hugely  accelerated rate...  I dont know for sure,  but I believe we are there...  when it comes to technology you would think they could develop  something with lasting value like  the  technology of the  50's and 60'    mean those  refrigerators and washing machines  were  here to last....   with no visit  from Mr. Maytag.Unfortunately,   the pride of workmanship  isnt there  today ... maybe it is because  so much is manufactured out of country now and standards are different... but  my husband and I  find we are  purchasing  printers and computers  ever couple of  years.. and we dont need to  have      the far out    gadgetry  and  capabilities....  it is just that  the  things  dont last...  In fact, my    printer I just got, lasted a couple of months...

4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food?  I used to use my slow cooker quite a bit  when I was working  but now that was 12 years ago and    to tell the truth I just dont remember...  it was a lot of chicken  one dish meals,,, but I cant be any more specific that that.    I love  when friends  do their  mac and cheese in the slow cooker....  but I've never made it my self.  My favorite fast food is  Chinese take out.... We hardly ever  get  fast food chain  regular meals anymore...   We do enjoy  take out pizza  or  subs from firehouse subs  once in a while...  But our go to take out is  Chinese!   Yum!!!!
5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now?   Definitely, facetime..... if I didnt have facetime once a week with  our daughter and  granddaughter once a week,   I wouldnt be able to stand  being over  12 hours drive away from them.Our  grand baby just turned 2 and she changes so  quickly...  I want to be  an engaged  grandma!  Our  second granddaughter is on the way!   YAYAYAYAYAYAY!

6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?
Before there was  a King's Dominion or a Busch Gardens in Virginia there was  Lakeside  and it was  with  ear shot of my  childhood home.... folks drove  from  several states in the  50's and 60's  to  take advantage of its  fun and thrills...  I remember if you saved up enough  Pepsi bottle caps you  had  the admission to see and hear Brooks Benton when he  was  there...  surely you remember this one...



After the flood of  '85   that  just about leveled the  park,   the land laid dormant for some time
now it looks like this...I   always remember  the good ole days when  we  drive past it now.....  I especially loved the  July  4th fireworks  .. we could see them from our front porch and I loved the  booms at the end!

7. Describe your comfort zone.
My most typical comfort zone is  being   in the second string.... my ministry was always in the kitchen... I taught children... never adults....  etc...    then  one day   somewhere along the way  I  prayed for boldness...  and  I unfortunately  didnt ask    for a specific   helping size...  well, I got a  pretty good  sized dollop and  more and more often I find myself on the front lines and  sometimes I  can even get  sort of pushy ....   to get  up front...  it's not that I  have a need to  make myself known...  but   I find myself in  conversations  and  settings  where  God  and   who we are   because of  Christ's death on the cross  just doesnt seem to get the credit,, or his due,,, in     the  scheme of life....   and  I am his great  cheerleader  at  times...  He deserves the glory!  For  whom  much is given, much is required.....

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Amen!

2 comments:

  1. You definitely have the best story from 1985! Enjoy your day : )

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~