Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Harvest Home



 
Harvest Dinner
Turkey  Cutlets
    with Madeira Gravy
                  Orange Glazed  Sweet Potatoes     
               Mashed Potatoes       Green Bean Casserole    
                 Kale      Cranberry Apricot Sauce 
       Rolls    Iced  Tea  Water
   Pumpkin Pie    Coffee


T hanks for time to be together, turkey, talk, and tangy weather.

H for harvest stored away, home, and hearth, and holiday.

A for autumn's frosty art, and abundance in the heart.

N for neighbors, and November, nice things, new things to remember.

K for kitchen, kettles' croon, kith and kin expected soon.

S for sizzles, sights, and sounds, and something special that about.

That spells THANKS for joy in living and a jolly good Thanksgiving. 
- Aileen Fisher, All in a Word

      So looking forward to  this weekend  when  we  get to share the Lord's bounty with good friends...   That is  what  our   season of Thanksgiving  is now.. sharing     with   our   wonderful church friends or otherwise  folks we know and love who  are  without   family at this time of year.  Now that   my parents   have passed on   to eternity...  (this is my mom's   first Thanksgiving in heaven)   it is  our  great pleasure to  include  others  during this festive and  glorious season of gratitude! 
In a previous  post  I shared that  I love planning   just such events...  I have been perusing  recipes where ever they can be found.  I love  the  idea of  using  single serving  turkey  such as cutlets now  because we  just  cant seem to  enjoy leftovers now that it is just the two of us.So when I found this recipe  in Southern Living, I was   completely   allured  by the idea since  otherwise it is difficult to  make a good homemade gravy...  For this recipe I am using cutlets instead of the tenderloin...... which simply was not  to be found in our area!
I, also, found   the cranberry  mold  recipe   here..  I inherited my mom's mold and   to be honest, Ive never used one...  I know I'm taking a chance on that  but  nothing ventured nothing gained!
The Sweet potato recipe   is found here!
     I am pretty excited about  using my new 
 centerpiece~gilded  antlers...  which  reminds me so much of  my heritage...    my  grand dad was  a hunter,  fisherman,   farmer  who was almost perfectly  self sufficient  on his  dairy farm.  He worked hard, he learned carpentry and  built his  home and   farm buildings,  then he  married  and set about   to  create a  wonderful  family  on his growing farm.. The Lord blessed them  with 6  beautiful  hard working daughters  instead of sons,   but    they made it  through the great depression  with   food to share!  I loved to go fishing with grandpa...  I watched  him  prepare  the  food he  had hunted on his land,  and  I  plucked a chicken or two  myself. I am thankful for this   great  pioneer spirit that  is within me, but also  for the  heritage of  godliness that  my forebears passed down through the family...  I have so much for which to be thankful!  
                          I am sharing on 
                     Make it Pretty Monday
                      Return to Loveliness
                      Grace at Home
                     Thursday Favorite Things
                    Home and Garden Thursday   
                     Tablescape Thursday
                       Home Sweet Home

5 comments:

  1. What a great Harvest dinner menu, Sounds like everything is going to be perfect, we will be gathering this weekend for our Thanksgiving!
    Prayers for you as you spend this celebration of Harvest time without your Mom!
    I so enjoyed the story of your grandfather, thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. (seriously need to center up your menu at the top of this post ;-) :-P love the antler centerpiece. looks like a wonderful meal ahead!!!

    love you! enjoy the rest of your week,
    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post. So informative. Your story was enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your menu sounds perfect!! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~