Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge


1. What's surprised you most about your life, or about life in general?

I am much stronger and bolder in my spirit and my personality than I ever dreamed I would be as a young woman.

2. Among others, these ten words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary this year...awesomesauce, beer o'clock, brain fart, buttdial, cat cafe(apparently this is a real thing), fatberg (gross-read the definition here), fat shame, hangry, Mx (gender neutral), and skippable.
Your thoughts? In looking over the list, which word do you find most ridiculous? Which word would you never in a million years say out loud? Which word would you be most likely to use in conversation?

I am a bit at a loss for words.... just trying to wrap my mind around these words..I realize the baser self has to be called forth to honestly contemplate the question. Phyiscally, unfortunately, the fatty words hit pretty close to home, so I can a least associate with them, but would never use them. To be perfectly honest in my flesh the one that sort of appeals to me is beer o"clock and only because I do have a Guinness hiding in the back of my fridge.... that I bought right after my trip to Ireland in April. But at least I do know that a Guinness is the most healthy beverage of all beverages... it is full of antioxidants!

3. Do you like gravy? Is there a food you'd rather not eat unless it comes with gravy? Do you make your own or buy the canned or store-made variety? Turkey and gravy, sausage gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, country ham and red eye gravy, biscuits and chocolate gravy, pot roast and gravy...which on on the list is your favorite?

Being a country southern gal.. I grew up loving gravy.... biscuits and gravy is a delicacy to me..... not red eye so much, but white creamy, sausage gravy! Yum! I am not much on brown gravy either unless it is very savory and rich... My momma made the best chicken gravy, too... which I have never made myself because I cant fry chicken like she did. I realize you have to cook up the giblets, neck and perhaps the back bone of the turkey to make really good gravy... and since I dont buy turkeys... I am a turkey cutlet gal..

( we dont go leftovers!) I have a hard time making great gravy for Thanksgiving . This year I found a yummy Southern Living recipe for madeira marinated turkey tenderloins and then you make a lovely shallot, garlic, wine sauce to serve over the lovely medallions...

4. Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you ever had a plan fall into a trillion pieces? Explain.

I am a great planner... For me plannning is half the fun and excitement of upcoming doin's...I start planning menus weeks in advance of events... I love planning for Christmas and I love to try to get things accomplished from the planning well in advance so there is ample time to revel in the moments leading up to events. I dont believe plans fall into a trillion pieces, although my plans may not coincide with circumstances so I have learned to be flexible... flexibility is very important!
5. November 19 is National Play Monopoly Day. Do you own the original or some version of the game? Do you enjoy playing Monopoly? How likely is it you'll play a game of Monopoly on November 19th? Ever been to Atlantic City? Ever taken a ride on a railroad? Is parking in your town free? Last thing you took a chance on?

As a child I loved monopoly even though it can be the longest ever board game to play... then as a twenty something on a weeklong vacation in the mountain cabin during a rainy week with our best friends we got into a Monopoly game that turned sour... we were just too daggone competitve and everyone went to bed mad that night and it took a couple of days to get over it..Sort of lost my zeal for the game ever after.
I love train trips... take the train to visit family often.. alas, we have no free parking in our city, and I take a chance a lot in my cooking....Hubby tells me.. now dont try to make something for the dinner party unless it is tried and true... but not me... This madeira turkey is a brand new recipe .. never tried.. but that is what makes it fun... 


6. A song you like that has the word (or some form of the word) thanks in the title, lyrics, or meaning?

"Thanks for the Memory" of Bob Hope fame first came to mind....then of course there is "Give Thanks" "Thank You, Lord" "The Doxology" "10,000 Reasons" Wow the list goes on and on!
7. In keeping with this month's theme of gratitude...what is something you're taking for granted that when you stop and think about it, you're grateful for?

Like our hostess listed... every provision of life that we take for granted... it is all by God's loving hand that we have life and the means to live well...clean water, food on the table, heat in our homes, freedom to attend the church of our choice, access to God's throne room. interestingly most all of these things were bought with a price..... paid mainly by blood ... the Son's and sacrifcie of our founding fathers and the brave fighting men and women who secured our freedom..As we look at world events this Thanksgiving may we truly be thankful. for we never know when or if some of these be taken away. certainty in the physical world is shaking but spiritually we can rise above the seen and trust in the unseen!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Thank You, Father, that you are still in control, and you are defineitly at work behind the scenes, and you are coming again! Maranatha!

2 comments:

  1. biscuits and gravy...Yes!!
    Dropping by from HodgePodge. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~