Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge

Time to work on  my Wednesday Hodge Podge...  Let's join Joyce  this week for more  Hodge Podge fun!

1. Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.
The first story that came to mind  actually occurred about 1964, when I was   14... my dad had just  become a manager  for  an Insurance  Co. and  he   decided that as  was  the previous  manner, he must  host  a company party at our home on Christmas Eve.  I wasn't a bit happy...  Momma and I had worked  hard  to get  all this party food   ready   and  because the  employees were  mainly  young  thirty somethings  we planned to have  some family and close friends in  early   and  the  company party started about  7:30 or 8.  it must have been BYOB or something.. I just remember retiring to my bed room, rading the Bible Story,  praying  and  crying because    there was a fair amount of drinking and   uproarious  celebrating going on....   something  that wasnt  at all  what Christmas Eve was supposed to be. No one got to bed that night  before  the wee hours...   and  when  we did get  up the house had the acrid  smell of tobacco and  stale    beer....  I   was not  a happy   young teen...   but  noone had time to   discuss anything because  we had plans to  be at   Bonny Lynn's  gorgeous home for   a  lovely  Christmas morning  breakfast  by 7am...    divinely set out... the food  was  delicious and  beautiful.   Unfortuantely, we couldnt    enjoy a leisurely   repast and  genteel  discourse,,  but had to get up and  run because  grandma  expected everyone for dinner  at  12 on the dot and that was  a good 2 hour drive. The whole family on mom's side  was in attendance and  all the kids were relegated to the  basement  tables  while  the  6 sisters and spouses  along  with  the patriarchs  dined in the   dining room..  the  meal was  served in several courses,  and  everything  as usual was  perfectly  prepared and  scrumptious...   but, alas,  all too soon it was   almost  3:30  and  we had to be at  Grannies  by  4...  off we flew our coat tails flying. .. to dad's mother who  had spent all day  cooking Christmas dinner  over a  wood stove...  yet her   dinner  was  sublime and  she always  had    several cakes...   all of which  everyone had to have a slice of...  I can tell you that by this time   heart burn was sitting  in on us  and    no matter how    delicious  the aroma   that  knocked us on our heels when we entered her home,   we were,  the three of us, feeling a bit  woozy...  but, of course,  we had to  pile our plates and  eat it all  or Granny  would  nag  and nag...  why we didnt  want to eat her food.  She was the  sweetest kind of granny who stood over you   with  the  food bowls  desiring nothing  more than to refill your plate.    Around 8:00  we were looking at a  2 hour  drive back home....  and I can tell you  no one was looking forward to   that long mountain  road.  I knew I was  going to be sick  and  dad  was,  not exactly hung over   from  the night before    but not feeling  top o the morning...   at all.... Momma  wa s sullen and glum....   for she too ahd worked very hard to make Christmas special and   she was feeling all of her hard work after  the long hours  on the job  had come to nothing  but  heart ache and heart burn...  No one  had experienced any Christmas  joy. It was a  crazy Christmas.. and  one we  wanted to forget,, but alas,  by the next year   it was   the one we all realized  would  be  the one we'd  tell and tell again .... mainly encouraging  one and all  not to ever get yourself in such a situation....but at least by then we could all laugh about it!
2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?
Absolutely not.....  I  found my bravada,    I suppose  it should be feminine since I am,,,  well into my thirties...  I actually  prayed for boldness because I was so timid  and  I felt it was  hindering me in my  Christian walk.  Now my husband is  always trying to temper me...  you know,  how   your spouse  will gently kick you under the  table or nudge you  when he  is afraid you may  step on a toe  or   say  something I may   regret later...  That is  probably a good thing..It's not that I am trying to be rude...  I do find  that my temperment lately is not  very politically correct...
3. Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm...did you know serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?
PANTONE Color Standards
for Creating with Rose Quartz & Serenity
Well,   when I had my  colors doneback in the 80's I  was  assessed as  a summer.
... summer skin tone fashion home decoration colors for summer skin tone
so  having  done my  comparison  I  feel that the  2 colors of the year  are  bit to  Springy for me....  and I absolutely  would not  have them in my house....  I  am just noticing that  even though I havent  really studied a summer color  swatch  in  eons,  my kitchen  is  very summery  in the colors I chose!  haha...  Now my best friend,  who is   Spring personified  would   love them  in every facet of her life....  and  they are lovely...  but just not for me...
4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?
here we go a wassailing image search results
Olde English, of course!
Here We Come A-Wassailing

5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?

my favorite....
Cannoli!
6. When it comes to holiday decorating_more is more_

7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Explain.
This past weekend  during all the wait times between  performances...we  do all   enjoy our time together   in worship,  but, also in fellowship!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I think  I'm done   now....   have a blessed  Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. I agree totally that more is more!
    I am now following you from Hodgepodge...you can follow me back at Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the Hodgepodge-Enjoyed your answers--my blog is Enjoy Life.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~