Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge

Welcome to Wednesday Hodge Podge with  Joyce  from This Side of the Pond!



1. It's officially summer (in the northern hemisphere anyway). Which summer month is best and why?

I actually like late June and early July  before the searing;y  humid   dog days of summer take hold...Also, the teacher in me  enjoys  the start of summer vacation even though I  havent entered a classroom in years.. it is just engrained in me...  ...solidarity with my  many  younger teacher friends...


2. Can you swim? How did you learn? June 27th is National Sunglasses Day. How many pair do you own?
I was  always  petrified of water.. some kid knocked me into the deep end at our local pool  when I was 5 and I never got over it.. Mom tried to  get me lessons,  but they never took.. I hated them... My  worst  thing about college was  I had to pass swimming to graduate...   bad girl that I was I waited til last quarter to take the dumb class.  But I  was determined to pass..  I learned a spiritual  song from  a  tv evangelist...  '''Something good is going to happen to you"..  I sang it to class every day.. now everyone in the class  except one friend  could already swim so it was a no brainer for them.. They were  happily  playing around in class every  day, but Brenda and I struggled everyday.. I finally  playfully learned how to jump up in the air and fall back in the water    and  if your lungs were full of air  you would float.. That is how I finally learned to  float..and I tried so hard to help Brenda  but  she was a lost cause and actually didnt graduate  that quarter.. I never  learned how to swim or actually  breathe right  but on the last day for exam I did jump in the deep end,  float for 5 minutes and turn over and swim as far as I could on one breath and then flip over on my back and do the backstroke  the  length of the pool  and back to the deep end and  haul myself out of the pool.  I  beggingly asked my instructor.. "did I pass!?!? " She just looked at me pathetically and said..  "I dont know!"  I could have  knocked her in the pool...  But graciously I didnt and she did pass me!  Praise God!!! I personally think I learned more than anyone in that class but I took my D   happily!  I  do  have sunglasses~ 2 white pair that are exactly alike and 2 others all of which slip on  over my glasses ..  I dont  spend money on   prescription sunglasses anymore...  

 photo IMG_4906_zpso0m6mtkt.jpg

3. What characteristic do you judge most harshly in yourself? How about in others?

I  realize and  admit I am not a very dedicated  person when it comes to thinking of others,. ie  brithday cards,  calling the  sick, etc.. I  have good intentions  but  do not  always follow through...  I truly wish I was better,  but I get  absorbed into other things and time passes and  I miss opportunities...  not good! 
 I also do apparently have a problem of  having unrealistic expections of  people in authority...  That is what I've been told...  

4. Robert Frost wrote the now well known poem entitled The Road Not Taken. What's a road (literal or figurative) you've always wanted to travel, and where do you hope it takes you?
  I have that book and want to read it sometime...  I think I need it... but  figuratively...  I  am learning to step into deeper water with the Lord ...  I have lived my life just on the  edge of  excitement but  never dared take that next step.. until  a  couple of years ago...  when I went up  north to visit the kids  alone on the train...  and they  took me to Newport RI...  Of course, you can only see  the mansions  from asea... I dreaded  getting on that smallish boat and going out on the Narrangansett, but I bucked up...  drew up my courage and  took that step and had a ball...  I mean what is the worst thing that could happen..  Die???  well,  I know  where I will wake up so  what's the  problem!!  Live!!!   Take a chance and have fun...  now that I'm all of 65!
 photo bOSTONTRIP2011137-1.jpg
 photo bOSTONTRIP2011099-1.jpg
5. Popsicles-yay or nay? If you answered yay, what's your favorite flavor? 
I love popsicles....  what's your pleasure  Id love one!

6. Brexit-on a scale of 1-10 how knowledgeable are you on what's involved here? (1=very knowledgeable and 10=what's Brexit) Is this news you'll follow or is it something you think won't impact your life in any way shape or form?

Well.  on a scale of 1-10  I am  a huge 10 in favor of  the  Brexit and would like to see other nations  pull out of the  EU... I am very against one world government and I think  the EU  was  a  horrible  experiment and  England was  really smart.. I think the media is trying to act like it is  a  horrible move..  because they are  for  this very liberal mindset..  But  I believe  time will show it was  a great move for Britain and I am  proud of my British heritage for taking this step!


7. Share a favorite song on your summer play list. 

As a lover of celtic music  one of my favorite songs to listen to in the car with the windows down and my hair blowing is   the following   . THis is definitely our summer travel song....  I can listen to it over and over and over!!!!  HEHHEHEHE!!! BE SURE TO TURN UP THE BASS!!
8. Insert your own random thought here. 
I hope  all who pass through here are  praying daily for our nation.. our leaders,  our    families, and our  churches....  Our nation needs  concerted prayer!

3 comments:

  1. Love your answer for #4. I'm a former teacher too and there is nothing like the beginning of summer :) Yes our nation needs prayer, badly! Nice meeting you through The Hodgepodge today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness...your swimming story. You poor thing! I can't believe they made you pass that class to graduate!!!! What a wonderful life lesson to you...to have a positive attitude and never give up. Enjoyed reading your answers this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an American living in Europe, I think that Brexit is being split amongst ideological lines (liberals opposing, conservatives supporting), as happens with most things I suppose. I do fear that the ramifications could be far-reaching. But what do I know? I'm just a left-handed ice-cream-loving virgo :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~