Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Hodge Podge Wednesday



Today I am joining with Joyce at From this Side of the Pond for some fun questions and answers.




1. Do you find yourself influencing your world, or is it more the other way around? I do think I in my way have some influence on the world.. Blogging itself has had some small impact on the lives of others. I know I have led some online friends to Christ and helped others who are young or immature to have deeper understanding.. Being a teacher for 30 years I helped to mold the minds of my students to love history, patriotism, and seek after truth... To be careful and not be swayed by trends in social. The teacher in me spills over into my spiritual life and I have been blessed to be assigned women's small group leader for several topical Bible Studies..I truly believe God placed those women in my group which my particular skill set could most influence.. I am a very spiritual person believing mightily in the power of the Holy Spirit through us as believers and my groups are always hungry for that element of teaching that is often missing in the mainline churches. it is important to say that I in no way am trying to lift myself up in this answer because it isnt me that is able to do anything of the things mentioned but Christ through me.. He receives all the glory.. I am just his willing vessel.

2. July 14th is National Tape Measure Day...the device was patented on this date in 1868. When did you last use a tape measure? Do you always know where to find one in your house? Tell us one way in which you feel blessed 'beyond measure'. 

What a timely question... We were in the Boston area last month helping our daughter and son in law get their home ready to put on the market... The home stager said that Amanda's drapes had to be hemmed to just "kiss" the floor.. Her drapes hadnt been hemmed as there was always furniture in front of them, but the stager was removing the furniture so the drapes had to be perfectly hemmed... They were 91 inches long so we were using S-i-l's metal measure... Hubs was helping me to pin them up and the measure kept getting stuck... it had been dropped several times and wasnt in good order.. so Hubs thought to pull it all the way out and retract it would be a good thing... well. no... it really got stuck.. so we had this 144 in metal tape measure to use and he would just sort of wad it up to carry it around so it wouldn't poke a toddler or two,,. it was crazy. What a sight he made .. it looked like he was carrying a metallic octopus...
As soon as we got home we got him a really nice replacement and sent it to them in the mail...

3.The Plaza Hotel (Eloise), The Land of Oz (The Wizard of Oz), Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia), The Hundred Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh), Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), or Never Never Land (Peter Pan)...which storybook land (on this list!) would you most like to visit and why? 

I would love to visit Narnia.. of course, after the defeat of the white Witch and the return of King Aslan... I love Aslan so much... and the characters are so wondeful. I would hope to share a pot of tea with Mr. Tumnus! Maybe the Beaver family would be available for a picnic. That would be lovely!!



4. Where and when do you get your best ideas? 

I am most inspired by life's experiences and I do feel many times that the Spirit within me is leading me on what to share and how to share it.. He has proven himself to be my guide in so many things. and enabler... I cannot even tell how many times he has helped me even with my home decor and getting the best bargain for the money... I owe everything to Him!! It is true He gives us our heart's desire,... he enables us to attain if we trust Him and He sees that we love it because of Him not because we idolize the things. I give Him the credit ... one example.. last summer after I inherited my mom's Apple dishes.. 4 teacups were broken... I really didnt want to order replacements so I just figured I wouldnt prob serve coffee with the set... although we always used them at Thanksgiving and,  of course, had coffee with our pumpkin pie... anyway, one day,  I was driving past a consignment shop and I was completely compelled to stop in ..it was as if I could here Him say.. you need to stop here... so I went in and there they were.. 4 teacups and saucers for $8.00....

God cares even about these small things in our lives... and He knows how precious it is to me to use these dishes because it takes me right back to momma's house everytime!!!

5. So what have you been watching on TV this summer? Anything good? Well, I discovered Sherlock on netflix.. which I absolutely loved.. and cannot wait for 2017!!!!! I enjoy the Cooking competiotns.. I have been following Food Star... I hope Tregaye wins..



6. 'Don't swim for an hour after you eat', 'Dog days of summer', 'Knee high by the Fourth of July'...choose a summer saying from the list or share one of your own, then tell us what image or memory comes to mind when you hear it spoken.

We have "Dog days of summer here that I believe have already begun... I think of long, hot, hazy, humid, blazing days.. where the grass is crinkly, and the air is searing..here is a particularly dry spell we had  a few years ago...
 photo drought006.jpg


so even  when I was working and it meant summer vacation was over, I longed for the lazy  autumn days of late September!
 photo Lancaster2012004.jpg

7. In a single sentence, sum up one life lesson you've learned. 

That when I trust  wholeheartedly the love and   goodness of God, the Father, to me personally,  His trustworthiness and faithfulness,   then when the world seems to be spiralling out of control, I have nothing to fear.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I want to dedicate this space to a very special person.. my dear sweet husband...  who works so very hard for us...  even into his retirement...  he is always  doing something  for  me, our home,  our family...  really.. he  is constantly busy doing...  yesterday he finished painting the bedroom.. it was the radiator...  .  the room looks  awesome.. today he  was  refurbishing  the  window hardware...   cleaning and painting it a shiny black to  reinstall on the windows..  then he   is out right now  mowing the lawn...  with all the trimmimg...  it is 89 degrees and Im sitting here in a/c  but he  just  keeps  plugging away at the chores around here...  he really puts me to shame... if he isnt working  around the house  then he is working at his desk taking care of all the paperwork for our household...  His  system is so  specialized  to his orgainzation style,  I  dont even try to  do any of it....  to say he is particular about things is understatement..  but  he is  that way about everyrthing. And it suits him well..  I  am jsut not built taht way....  more right brained I guess. He is  president of our Sunday School class... opening the class   going over all the church announcements and  closing the class with  the prayer requests  and  prayers. Plus he  is chairman of 2  church committees, as well as, helps me with my church escapades.  
Besides all of this is  he is  a beloved dad and Ba Ba...
  as well as,  quite good-looking to boot...
  I'd say I am very blessed in deed!!!

5 comments:

  1. Great answer to #7! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hard working husband is a blessing for sure! Enjoy your day : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. dog days of summer will be in August or so here. Not been a terrible summer this year but hot it has been.
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your answers, and would love to visit Narnia too.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherlock is great....but they make so few new ones and it takes so long to see them on PBS.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~