Wednesday, August 24, 2016

It's Still Summer





I am joining along with Joyce on WHP..Click the icon to return to her page.

1. It's National Waffle Day (August 24th)...what decision are you currently 'waffling over'? (or share one you've recently 'waffled over')

We have a time wafflin' over how and when to start seeking a contractor to redo our very small bath on our main level... I mean this bathroom is so small you have to step over the commode to get into the shower... and this being an older home.. this is the only shower in the house... I know sounds terrible.. but the upstairs bath is built into the dormer... my three year old granddaughter could stand in a shower there... but alas there is none. I want to start it yesterday... well really last spring.. but Hubs keeps waffling and therefore it doesn't get started... but the problem is folks come out.. look at it and say yes.. we can incorporate that closet into the space into it and it would be just great... but then we never see or hear from them again.. No one wants the small job... 


2. It's the middle of August, but I'm already seeing lots of autumn-related posts. Do you think we rush the seasons? If so, does that bother you? I saw (here) an end of summer bucket list that included-
make s'mores, read a new (or favorite) book in the park, eat something delicious and bad for you at a state fair, have a pot luck picnic, book a last minute summer getaway, relax by or in the pool, take a hike to watch the sunset, have a day on the lake, try a new summer recipe!
Which activities on the list might you squeeze in before summer officially comes to a close?

Well, I am definitely guilty of rushing the season.. and I'm glad I did because we finally then got a break in the extreme weather.. although it will be 93 here again come Friday, so yes, summer still rages on.. I am not a summer type person.... give me a lovely 70 degree day and I'm giddy. This list would have really grabbed me about 30 years ago, but at 66 I am only entranced by a couple of items.. you see my skin now needs little direct sun.. so I have to be necessarily pretty well covered... so even sitting out to read a book doesn't draw me like it once would. A friend just told us about her day at the West Virginia Fair and I asked her if she tried a fried pickle.. something I would be curious about... she didn't BTW. Fortunately for me, I will be doing a pot luck at the lake this week..and I am trying a new recipe so I am over the moon to be at least a bit relevant to the list... and my daughter is working hard to get us a few days in this season on the seaside at Cape Cod so I will definitely take my book, but will probably read it in the car on the way because every second will be revelling with my grand tots!

3. Your favorite summertime 'art' found in nature? Afternoon sunsets always bless me..




 photo september2012250_zps24c0b33c.jpg


4. Stephen R. Covey is quoted as saying, 'We judge ourselves by our intentions, and others by their actions.' Agree or no? Do you define yourself based on your intentions, your actions, or something else?
IN this world   where    the lines between  what is acceptable and what it not  are becoming  so blurred  due to  perceived corruption and  deception... in the highest levels of our   society... it is difficult to say.. I have to admit I often judge by actions   believing their intentions to be  not that  good..   or  judging them  because of the influence said society has  had on them to  blur their own  moral  compass  that  directs  their actions toward immorality... I struggle  with this  not wanting to be judgmental.. I try to  hate the sin and not the sinner  but  when  this huge move   so far left of center  affects  my life, ie  bathrooms, locker rooms,  education, etc.  I  do  find myself   drawing that proverbial line in the sand  and  standing firm  to defend  it and  a judgmental tone  will  rise  up within me...  just being honest here.. Personally, I have a  very strict sense of  propriety based on  the battle  lines  between  my  Christ- centered  righteousness and   my sin nature  that  has not been    eradicated... and  when I overstep  that line,, I  am very  guilt ridden and  uneasy in my spirit until I  make it right  through confession and  repentance.

5. Are you useful in a crisis? Elaborate.

"I'm usually good in a crisis, particularly if the people around me are feeling panicky. I might be a blubbering mess once things return to normal, but in the moment of crisis I can be level headed and useful."  I love the  quoted answer of our  hostess, Joyce...   and I agree... I have a pretty strong  adrenalin rush that  over takes me    once  a crisis is  in full throttle even though I can be a quivering mass  in just   the contemplation of  a  really  terrifying  event  and its  possible  affect  on me personally..  for example, we have had a  terror   stabbing event about 3 miles from our home this week.. and just to  ponder  what that  would be like  sends chills over me..  but  usually  while in the midst of  crises like, for example,  bomb threats  we  experienced  while I was teaching..  adrenalin  spurred me on into  very level headedness to  do the next right thing to insure that   those children were  safe and  prepared, steady, and calm.  and yes, after  the fact,    I will  feel  almost undone  with  the  reality of it all.

6. What's been your go-to dish this summer? Is it something you'll continue making as the seasons change?
We eat a lot of chef salads... this year  we have  had  a lot of  home grown tomatoes and    now that we are using  head romaine  that is so fresh and  so much better that prebagged  salad...  we  have  salads  several times  a week.. with  sliced deli ham and cheese...

7. Adult coloring books are a thing now. Have you jumped on the bandwagon? If not is this something you think you might enjoy?
I just like our  hostess, love to color...  and I have looked at the color books  but  they a re so intricate  I  havent jumped on them,  but  my Inspire Bible with  art journalling pages  to color  has  really  made me so  happy..
Some pages are printed  to be colored and others are  blank
for your own  doodlings  but  I  find  I am so relaxed  coloring  but also contemplative on the word  I am reading  it is  helping to cement the Word into my  heart as  I  express my  heartfelt  feelings  about  the scriptures.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Lots of things  happening this week...  starting today...  got to go now  and  jump into my day!  Hopefully it will be lots of fodder for future  postings!   Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Bible you showed. I have to look for one!! We have lived in our home for more than 25 years. My late husband waffled for so many years about putting a shower in the main BR. It still doesn't have one. Now we laugh about it and include it in one of our wonderful memories of him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on the sunset skies. I don't know how anyone can see the beauty there and think it all came about by happenstance. Enjoy your day and your pot luck : )

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~