Monday, September 12, 2016

The Simple Woman's Day Book



For Today...September 12, 2016
Outside my window...
It is a  mild  mid-September morning  at 72 degrees...   and the humidity is low...  I am loving this day!Although we do need rain so badly...  the  plantings  are suffering!

I am thinking...
what a glorious time we enjoyed last week up north with our  daughter's family... 


 and how very different  their lifestyle is..  they are too busy to get caught up in the  trials of the world... and so   they  trust God for  what may come.. I am learning it doesn't really help anything to know  everything that is  being  reported  on 24 hour news outlets... all it does is get me upset.  So I am trying to  stay uninformed and  just trust God... Of course, I  pray for   it to be on earth as it is in heaven and  leave it to Him...

I am thankful...
 for the saving  knowledge of Christ and    His  love and provision    in my life....  Sometimes  things  can  get  rattled and out of sorts, and then I  really wonder...  how do  folks with no faith  endure the  uncertainty of life... praise   God...  His mercies are new every morning!

I am wearing...
my green striped seer sucker  Capri's and  white peasant top

I am creating...
a weekly food/menu chart ... I really need to be much more organized in that area...

I am going...to really  work hard on getting my  hdl  up and my ldl down...My cholesterol  total isn't that bad,, but I know I need to eat more fish... bleh! I want to take Amanda's  advice and  start eating more salmon... she  says she loves  quality  smoked salmon on   bagels with cream cheese...  the only time I had it was on an overseas flight  40 years ago..  it was gross.  She tells me  I cant go by that..  I hope so...I would love any suggestions in this area!

I am wondering...
The last time I did a SWDB I  reported about  an upcoming trip  to  Cape Cod...well,  we were going to go last week while we were  in Massachusetts.. but Hermine knocked us out of going... Thankfully, our host at the  Airbnb  let us out of our  contract.  The family will  get to go in a few weeks...and  I  am wondering now  what it would take to get hubs to take me  to  the beach  a few days  before cold weather.. I sure would love it.. haven't actually been to a southern beach in over 10 years.

I am reading...
II Timothy
Jesus Calling  Devotional 
Debbie Macomber's   Rose Harbor Inn  Series..  I read  the books  traveling and   am delighted to find the  last one of the series at the grocery store when we got home... can't wait to  get into it.. but I don't want the series to end... so   good!

Cover artCover artCover art


the final book

Cover art

I am learning...
to  try to make the most of each  realm of my  existence each day..
  physical...  mental...  spiritual!

I am hoping...
God's mercy and protection will  reign over  all of the rest of  the  political election process..  It becomes difficult to separate  one's concerns  re: the political scene from  everyday life, it seems..a t least for me... it is a constant matter of prayer!

I am learning...
to  try to make the most of each  realm of my  existence each day..
  physical...  mental...  spiritual!

In my garden...
We received absolutely no rain over the 10 days we were travelling and things are terribly dry... one of my hydrangeas  may not make it...This hasn't been a good year for  them and I had such high hopes in the spring..I think I will  try to purchase  the same hydrangeas  I  purchased in the spring now and plant them this fall  Hubs  thinks they would do better ...  I  am skeptical but willing.

In my kitchen...
I made the most delicious apple crisp  to take to church yesterday morning...  I used honey crisp apple and they made a huge 

difference..

Apple Crisp with Oat Topping ready in 1 hr
Ingredients
6 apples - peeled, cored, and sliced Use Honey crisp apples
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. cold butter
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Toss apples with white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl to coat; pour into a 9-inch square baking dish.
Mix brown sugar, oats, flour, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Use a pastry cutter or 2 forks to mash cold butter into the oats mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; spread over the apples to the edges of the baking dish. Pat the topping gently until even.
Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and sides are bubbling, about 40 minutes.
I have a few folks  in need of food this week.. This is such an easy dessert and tastes so wonderful I plan to fix it several times this week to take  to friends  in need.. It is definitely a comfort food!

A favorite quote/scripture for today...
Image result for Hebrews 13:16 “Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”


          A peek into one of my days... 
Driving back through Pennsylvania we  saw  many sights like this.... what a thrill to know that autumn will be here soon.. it is on it's way!!!


One of my favorite things...
playing with  precious Birdie...  she made me a cap of potholders and  put her food basket on her head and we had a hat's on parade march around the playroom!  Bless her  little heart..  granny  loves her  grand tots so much!



From the board room... Pinned from my board...
Check out 16 DIY Crafts for Fall at | Autumn Leaf Mason Jar Candle Holder by DIY Ready at http://diyready.com/16-diy-crafts-for-fall/:

See all 16  on pinterest

Post Script
Image result for Hebrews 13:16 “Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”

2 comments:

  1. Certainly wish we could share some of our rain with you! It was pretty over the weekend and so far today but it seems like it rains every couple of days around here. I can just imagine how pretty that drive will be when fall fully arrives. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful SWDB! I enjoyed every entry! 1 - Salmon is good if it is fresh and prepared right (in my opinion). 2 - My hydrangea didn't make it this year either! :( 3 - Going to add these books to my TBR Pile! :) thanks, I think! ;)
    Hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~