Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Wednesday Hodge Podge

From this Side of the Pond


1. Can you tell I'm embracing a Cinco de Mayo theme here this week? Do you like Mexican food? What's your favorite dish? How about on the side-black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, rice? What about heat-mild, medium, hot? Will you celebrate with Mexican food and drink on May 5th aka Cinco de Mayo?

Sad to say, I've never  embraced  Cinco de Mayo...  which is odd  because I took  5 years of Spanish in High School and  read  the whole of  Don Quixote in Spanish.  Hubs is not    huge on  Mexican cuisine, so  we rarely  have it...and I'm sure  I will get several boos when I add we  did send out to  Taco Bell for supper
 last night. only because  our power was out.  And  regarding  re-fried beans,   I always get them on the side..  and hubs will eat them for me..    I  only like my  pintos with a  nice  hot -buttered  cornbread  pone!  Ole'.
Image result for taco bell nachos grande
2. Ever been to Mexico? For work or holiday? Love it or no? If you haven't been is this a place you'd like to visit? Can you speak Spanish?
Hablo  Espanol!....  and   studied it  because I figured I would get there someday..  But  the subject has never come up in our household.  Mexico holds no allure for us.

3. What's one thing you may accomplish this month?
We  together are  working on removing the hideous glued down carpet  upstairs  which has been  a painfully   difficult task...   Hubs  has to  use a heat gun to  removed the  mastic and  dry rotted  rubber backing...  not fun.. then  washing and   polishing the  floors..  but  it is so   wonderful seeing the  gorgeous hardwood floors come to life up there..  We  hope to do the  guest room this month.. He is putting  some polyurethane  on the hall  this week.That will only leave our room to do...  Then  I can  begin  shopping for a  few area rugs..

4. If you were mayor of your village, city, or town, what's one thing you'd like to see changed, done away with, revamped, or accomplished? Is serving in public office something you've ever seriously considered?
Well,   in our  community  I have never been a fan of the  loads of taxpayer money  being spent on  linking all the communities with  greenways...  reason being  many of them that  link the city neighborhoods are located in such  treacherously  remote  areas  they a re a danger...  especially to  people  who have no idea of  what they may be getting into..  I believe  that  the  original premise for    these  fitness trails   was  ill conceived...great to have  some,  but    linking all  areas  around  the town   has proven to be  a dangerous proposition.  And the cost  has been astronomical   when  we still have  schools  that need to be  renovated.
Upon research there are scads of photos of the  more  illustrious sites of our greenways.. but none  through the  more  sketchy parts of town, yet  people are encouraged to  use  them all   to    enjoy  all areas of our  wonderful city.  Newcomers  could    get more than they bargained for.,
Image result for roanoke greenwaysImage result for roanoke greenways
5. What's something that may be popular, but that you just don't get?
All the hideous tattooing  that  the millennials  are into..  Whole arms,  face, neck.. etc.  I mean  really????
Do  businesses  really  seek  people  who  are  so  covered in tattoos???  Also,   those  ear and nose rings...I mean grandpa  used those on the farm    for his bulls, etc... but....

6. Can't let this week slip by without mentioning Thursday May 4th is Star Wars Day. As in 'May the 4th be with you' ahem. Are you a fan of the Star Wars series? Exactly how much of a fan are you? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being 'I've seen every film, own the action figures, might have dressed as Darth Vader for Halloween one year', and 1 being, 'what's a Vader?' -where do you land?
I didn't know  the date for that.  That is actually the day I get my  c/scan on my  sinuses!!! Haha
I enjoyed the  first  3 or 4    films...But I think  that is one  story that  has been  taken a bit too far... (MHO) I know  that are  fans  who live it.. literally...I  suppose  I am  a  5 on the  scale..I love the music better than the  storyline.

7. Scroll back through your blog posts and in three sentences or less tell us the general theme of your fourth blog post. Does it still ring true today? Is it a topic you re-visit on your blog from time to time?
I  was sharing on  Outdoor  Wednesday  because  I had previously taken the most beautiful shot of  our lawn   at sunset.. the  spring  color ... His subdued  glory  and  only He can create.
I do love to share the glory of God through His creation and  I love to share  about  His natural palette of color  and  His design.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I shared  in a previous post about  buying some grat books at the Library Used book sale..
  One I  can't wait to really get into is this one
I  am  so entranced with all things Irish ever since our trip a couple of years  ago  about this time of  year. It has been on my mind a lot lately..  and now  I can't wait to try my hand at Hot Cross Buns, Irish style..  or Dundee Cake.. and  Stuffed Mussels,  but  I think I'll by-pass the Crubeens!

1 comment:

  1. Schotzy, so many things I could comment on here, but I'll just pick one. Tattoos. You and my husband could have a grand time talking about them! (BTW, I replied to your comment and gave you my latest egg-peeling method. Let me know if it works for you.) Oh, and about the Irish, I've posted about Waterford Blaas and my two Irish Brown Soda Breads, one baked in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~