Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Happy Mother's Day Hodge Podge

Happy Mother's Day!!


Click the icon to return to Joyce's page.

1. Share a favorite memory of your mother or share a favorite something from your own life as a mother. If you're a mother (or stepmom) tell us how your experience as a mom differs from your own mother's experience.
My mother was  first born of 6 daughters  to a dairy farmer in Grayson County,Va.   Needless to say,  she  learned at an early age to  work hard and was very self sufficient.

  When I came along  I loved    those early years when she stayed home with me...  making our clothing,  cooking the best  dinners, washing our clothes in a  wringer  washing machine and  helping her hang the clothes on the   clothesline.
She was   so  very creative...  if  anyone  stained their nice sweater..  she'd embroider a  beautiful   design over the spot.  She even made the belt that matched this dress..  Very , very  accomplished homemaker.  But  when I was  7 she did go to work..  so that    my parents could buy a piano and  give me  piano lessons.  And she fully expected me take those lessons even if I never learned to play anything.  So many of our friends  would let their girls  stop taking  at the slightest  complaint.  

And even as  shy  as I  was as a youngster and  almost panicked with every piano recital,   for my  senior performance I played the entire  Rhapsody in Blue..  wish I could today!   HAhahaa !
  But the love for music was definitely instilled in me!
As I  enjoy this  photo  it does have a bit of a down side..  those  forsythia bushes  were the ones from which I chose my own switch  for her to    employ  .... Yikes.... no doubt I  got what I deserved...  Momma  just seemed  to  be a tireless woman... it must have been that great pioneer stock!!
My parents  paid my way through college and  I  taught school  for thirty years before retirement.. but    finally  at age 35,  we became  parents of  our  precious adopted daughter from S. Korea.   Such a hugely  talented, and  sweet child...  but I only took  18 months off from work  before  childcare  came into play then pre-school... Thankfully, Amanda  was such a gregarious child  she  got along very well in her varied experiences... all good..I think I suffered most from the missed hours. 
Amanda  took not only piano, (  for her own pleasure,)   but  violin was her  discipline  instrument.   We expected her to  take as long as we could afford for her to... which was  all through school..   And in her life it really paid off..  She was noticed  by a young  student  a couple of years older than herself  who  had organized a quartet.. and when they needed to replace their second violinist  he called on Amanda
they made  quite  a living through high school and college playing  weddings,  parties, and   business 
promotionals.
  He was  concert master  of our local youth symphony  then Amanda followed in that  position.. and they played in the local  symphony together  in college.
Five years later she married the young man..
I might add  to my delight Amanda  now plays her violin in the church orchestra in Boston.

and today  they  have  two precious daughters of their own.

                        
I am  so proud  Amanda   has decided to be a stay at home mom!!!!


2. In May we celebrate teachers (May 9) and nurses (May 6) both. Most every family has at least one in their midst, so tell us something (or a few things) you appreciate about the teacher or nurse on your family tree.
Teaching was the  vocation of choice  among the women in mom's family..  Alas, mom couldn't go to college  because she developed an illness and was given a short  time to live,  before  a  treatment  came along and she was  healed. Praise God.
By that time she  was determined to get married so  was the only one in the family not to go to college. But I will say the teachers in my family inspired me to  want to teach and  it was my childhood dream to  be a teacher and played school    for many years with my little friend across the street.
 One of the things that blesses me is to have several of my students as  Face Book friends today!!!

3. Chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad...which would you go for if all three were on the menu? On bread or a bed of lettuce? If you answered bread, what kind of bread would make it the perfect sandwich?
I love the first two,.   lost my desire for tuna  several years ago  when I found  scales in the can...  never  tried  fresh cooked tuna or  never had a taste for  raw  food  like  sushi... Chicken salad is my favorite.. I  put   cranberries,  toasted chopped pecans,  sliced grapes in it,  and I prefer it  on lettuce..  A tea room  in our area serves it by the scoop  along side a small loaf of  homemade bread .. you tear off and   dip in  balsamic... yum!!!!!!

4. Do you have a desk? Is it organized? If so, share your secret to keeping it that way. If you don't have a desk, where in your home do you take care of family paperwork and business? Where do you normally sit to blog?
  When Amanda  left home I missed her so much  that I took over her school desk in her room  and  set my computer station up there..  it helped...   but when we  remodeled the kitchen I had  the  facing wall  built in with  a  desk  with granite,  and  file drawers and cabinets.. which is great...very handy  when cooking new recipes..  I can just pull it up on computer.. but even with every   convenience for  organization I am still a rather messy worker..
Mail and  pages I  recently printed end up  piled on top of items for a few days before I get around to filing!    Oh, well.

5. When I was nine years old....  I started into my gawky stage...    I was  a great kickball player  with my saddle oxfords...    but  I  had to start wearing  cat eye glasses,  and   my hair  never looked good in school photos!! Did you have a mother that  curled your hair in rollers the night before  photos and  those  stupid  locks looked anything  but normal... 
 BTW, YOU will never see me  wear granny hair...  
you know that permed  matted hair..  Actually, my hair  hasnt changed much  in 50 years...  and no hair spray for me.. 
 Bleh!!!
That initial growth spurt seemed to drain me of my  former  cuteness.  I  started feeling very  self conscious and    really  became  an introvert!!  Especially, around the girls,,, I didnt know how to    ingratiate myself among them..  
And actually  started    playing more  with the boys , maybe because they accepted me  because of my  amazing kicking skills,,  whether on the playground or  under my desk!  ....  and  found it easier to  give and take  in conversation with them..  That has lasted  all of my life.  I  can always  talk much  more easily with males than females...  

6. Insert your own random thought here.
You will be glad to know that   I was  so ashamed of my  desk area,  that I have just now  sorted my papers and at least put them away...  now.,  to tackle  this never ending mail stack!!!!  Aha,  a  20% off at Kohl's!

4 comments:

  1. Your chicken salad sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inspired to do a bit of organizing today myself. Your daughter has a wonderful love story : ) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your family story...Happy Mother's Day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww, sweet memories!

    i didn't realize that messy-desk-itis is hereditary! :-P I could barely find my mouse this evening! yikes.

    love you!
    a

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~