Saturday, October 7, 2017

Saturday Critters

Today while visiting a friend's page I ran across the Saturday Critters party over at Eileen's! I find this is fun meme so I will begin by saying as a retired elementary teacher, I used to have my classes journal many topics..a favorite journal is on backyard friends who visit and share their 
 personal talents with us..  



Funny to say  the first day  of my  vigil  my only visitor was a single crow!!

Now that I  have  a 4 year old granddaughter  I  desire to  instill in her  a keen eye,  a  differentiating mind,  and a love of nature..  She lives  nearly on the edge of a national forest  so  they have  many  backyard  visitors. ...this week a  family of turkeys  passed through in single file!
 So I restarted  my journal and when I see her I share it with her and  we talk about  watching carefully, and  the importance of knowing the  names  of  the living things  about us!  These early  fall days are perfect for sitting quietly in anticipation of a critter  to  come along!  One of my favorite  critters  visited this week...he is usually so skittish it is hard to capture him,  but I did this week!!!
 This closeup will help  when I attempt my drawing!
When I can capture on camera  I like to,   but sometimes  I just  can't,  so I draw them...I  could not get a shot  of the  male cardinal this week...  I  use several nature indentification books...  some of which I have already given  my dear 'grand'!A few at a time  to  spur some interest!

 I had to look up these two  birds - the one above is the female.. and below is the male...  House Finches .. that day we had a whole flock of them foraging the side yard!  

 I love  seeing  various mammals  pass through...  can you find  this  lovely creature!

 I will be writing about her today...  I think  a drawing  may be  pertinent as well, don't you!


14 comments:

  1. Oh how blessed you and your grand daughter are to share art journaling and great photo of the squirrel to start with ~ Wonderful ~ ^_^

    A ShutterBug Explores aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so delighted to have found this fun meme and the wonderful folks were frequent here!! Thanks for the kind comments...

      Delete
  2. I would love to see a chipmunk! Friends tell me they have seen them, but nary a one on my place yet.
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, Lea, chipmunks are so prolific here and so tame we fear they could get in the house.... not fun!! But thanks so much for your visit.. I know Im going to enjoy joining in here!!!

      Delete
  3. Hello, welcome and I am so glad to have you join in with my critter party. It is amazing at what you can find in your own backyard. Cute shots of the chipmunk. I always love the birds, like the jays and finches. The bunny is a cutie too. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, thanks so much for the cheerful welcome on your fun meme! Everyone has been so friendly and encouraging.. MY camera isn't the greatest and I need a tripod to keep the focus, but it is so much fun.... have a grand weekend!!

      Delete
  4. Hello. Im here to wish you luck with teaching your granddaughter about the natural world. It is so important that we instill in our young ones the need to care for our planet and all the things in it.

    Good luck also with your IDing. There is so much information on the Internet and elsewhere that a little time and trouble will help a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PHil, Again might I say your photos a re fabulous... and I suppose the id'ing is probably the most important part of my purpose.. when I was teaching we introduced our biology section by impressing on the kids there is no such thing as a tree, or a bird, or an insect... but that is the type of living thing. Identifying and knowing the living things around us is so important. I want the grands to know the bird calls as well... so they will id even when they dont see!!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you are able to share your knowledge with you Grand-daughter. My GD is now 23 and since she lived with us as a small child we delighted in each other. Enjoy!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. How marvelous that you are so close to your granddaughter.. my grands live 12 hours away so I really wish to make an impact on their lives in a significant way... as Birdie gets older we will probably share our journal pages online.... she is only old and inquisitive enough these days to peak her interest in and desire to learn about her world this way!!

      Delete
  6. Welcome! I know you will enjoy contributing here. (You'll get more responses if you post the night before if you re on the west coast like I am) I love the journal idea, and your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind welcome and the words of encouragement... I think I will really enjoy posting here!!!

      Delete
  7. We get so many squirrels around here but I rarely see any chipmunks. I enjoyed all your critter photos.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~