Saturday, July 19, 2014

A Summer Transformation

This  season is flying by....   plus I am  so   involved in so many  things,  when I am  sitting at the computer I  feel like Im just either vegging, pondering,    praying and  just  havent felt  a bit of creativity ,   but  this morning  there was a bit of   the  desire to   push forward and  do something different  in the house...  lately I have been  so   enamored with  posts from Nancy's Daily Dish  that regularly  appear on facebook,   that  I must say   her  gorgeous transfer ware  has inspired me to   make   these changes....And the fact that  last week following my  skin cancer  removal,, ouch!!!  I  felt I owed  myself a stop at my favorite  consignment shop where I found the most  lovely set of 4 salad plates by Bursley, which I  incorporated into my tablescape..
These  lazy days of   mid-summer  put me in the mind of  those long ago  visits to  my grandparent's dairy farm...  The  checkered tablecloths and the  tall  ever vibrant  sunflowers grandma   planted around the  edge of corn rows...these beautiful   plates depict The Old Post House  from  the  English potteries of Bursley  I enjoyed  pairing each place setting with various other   plates from my red transfer ware  collection...
 some  by Spode's  many groupings

others  with  one of a kind plates like this  lovely white filigreed bordered  Abbey in  red.


 I think the  fiery red of the  table  lends itself very well to the  golden  sunflowers   which  are grounded  by the  sturdiness and   earthiness of the  pewter  pitcher!...


To complement the table I have  removed the  springy  blues of  spring  and replaced them with  the transitioning  colors of late summer..
Completing the  farm theme,  I   am  most happy to  highlight  my  roosters and chicken.....   mainly, too,  because of  one of my  favorite  birthday presents  ....
Jim Shore's  Angel with   chicken....

ON the table  are  a myriad of lovely  birds....   a  jaunty rooster   I inherited  from my  mother's  estate when she had to break up housekeeping...  It was a gift I gave her for Mother's day  several years ago  commemorating   her  namesake...   We are of the Cox clan.... and she  collected  chickens...
The red  ceramic hen is an antique that I remember so well in mommie's kitchen  since my first memories of home...  the   beautiful handcrafted wooden rooster  was one my dad  cut from wood and mom painted  during their  crafting days.... and, of course, my  beloved  angel of the  chickens....

I love how the colors of all these items  reflect the country  theme I  have  created  which  enlivens  so many wonderful memories of my life!  
Another  small tribute to my mother is  this simple arrangement of fresh flowers on the  drop leg table grandpa made..mama always loved  the simple things of life,  yet  she could make   the simple things  seem   like treasures of great worth.
So there is  the transformed sun room...   from  springy robin's egg blue to  the  country  fowl and  hues of mid summer!

Make it Pretty 
A Return to Loveliness@ A Delightsome Life

4 comments:

  1. Nothing takes my eye the way red checkers table cloths do. I love this...looks wonderful with the red transferware and roosters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely setting filled with sentiment too. Love this post. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop . Watch for your feature on Monday xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely plates, Schotzy - Nancy's transferware is quite inspiring! I love what you've done in your sunroom - I hope you're healing well! - I will be featuring your post in this week's A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful transferware! great find on the salad plates. I love your sunroom!....Christine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~