Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Perfect Hodge Podge



1. What is one area of your life where you're a perfectionist? Is that a good thing?

I  have to agree with Joyce,  when I host an event  I  really  desire for  it  to  go without a hitch...it can be a bad thing, though,... for example at  our daughter's  wedding I  saw a couple from our church  whom we hadn't invited.  It was a  sort of destination wedding at  the  bridal couples'  university,  but only about 50 miles from home.  We had invited their son who was also a University student  but when his parents showed up    I  was  horrified that they would get to the reception and find no table setting for  them,  so I rushed to the reception hall to  talk to the    coordinator to  get it all set up and do whatever it took to make it look  like it was  preplanned...  meanwhile, the  family, including  parents and  grandparent photos, were being taken at the chapel..  I guess I just figured that the photographer would realize that  the  couple he had met with  several times who were  paying the  thousand dollars had not been photographed.. neither    my husband nor my parents were in any  photo..   It still  rather sticks in my craw,   but what  else could I have done...

2. What's something you find perfectly ridiculous? 
Again, I agree with the outrageous  attempt by  the outgoing  leadership party to  derail  our new president and his  administration..  rather maddening actually...   and  the    fake news that  keeps  coming out of main stream media . 

3. What's a skill you've developed by way of that old fashioned saying, 'practice makes perfect?

Well, of course, music...  I  grew up  taking  piano lessons all through  school and college...  I was actually pretty good... then...  but over time have gotten  very rusty and now with my  failing  clarity of vision I  even have a hard time  reading the music  to sing in the choir,   But my love of music  is  huge to me.. I  have music playing all the time...  I love solo piano music..

4. What's your idea of a perfect breakfast?

Well, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day...   I  adore  our  traditional Christmas breakfast...  sausage/ veggie quiche,  orange cranberry scones,  brandied fruit,  but  when I go to  a certain   restaurant here  in town  I  invariably  order #3.. Eggs to order ( over medium), crisp bacon and  1/2 order of sausage gravy biscuit.  They do  know how to make  gravy just like granny's! 

5. What's a trip, holiday, vacation, or day outing you've taken that you'd rate a perfect 10? Tell us why.
It would have to be  our trip to Ireland in 2015..  we went with about  25  of our closest church friends and it was a bus tour  starting  in Dublin and  travelling around  entire  island.The only thing missing is I would have loved to share the trip with my  daughter's family  as  we  are Irish and  to  share  these memories would be heavenly.
When we arrived in Dublin I already knew I wanted to find this tea room  right  down the road from Trinity College.. and we got there straightaway..

Awesome luncheon there!!
 then our long afternoon of    touring the college,   the  magnificent library,  and  Book of Kells.
and shopping..  I bought  my Aran sweaters and lugged them around around for 2 weeks..  (Stupid)

 Loved the    traditional folk music, and  fell in love with Guinness and  Irish Coffee..  Oh, my!
 A traditional Irish breakfast...  yummy bacon....
 St. Patrick's

 and on   south to  the  quaint towns of Kilkenney and Waterford

There is some evidence in our family record that our Higgins  family originated from Waterford.
My only regret  of taking a bus tour is  all my  photos were taken  on the 'go'!  But the  fields dotted with sheep  thrilled me...
 The  tour around the ring of Kerry  was mesmerizing..  we could clearly see Dingle peninsula across the way.. The day was so clear we could actually see  the Island of Skellig Michel.. see the faint  triangle    south of the  tip of Dingle.

 Here is a photo  of Skellig Michel  which is one of the most mysterious islands  on earth...   source for this one is  internet..

Image result for Irish island michel
the  Wild Atlantic Way  from  the highest peak of the "Ring"  was breath-taking!


 Sorry for the  reflections  but  I was entranced by the  town of Adair...
 and later that  evening we stayed in Limerick  home to King John's Castle on  the  River Limerick!
 That night  we dined in true  medieval splendor

                               
      
 and  spent two nights in actual medieval castles  ; this one  is Lough Eske in  Killarney



Travelling further north we entered Northern Ireland..  what  a joy to actually be there  and walk the streets    of Derry ,(Londonderry).  So much  history,  anarchy,  and  peace  in one   small area
 Here  there were only protestant churches....such as  this  Church of England
 A tour of the  Guildhall. was   amazing.

Guildhall
The stained glass told  Northern Ireland's history
We  saw  Queen Victoria before  PBS made her  famous!
Our drive  north east toward the Giant's Causeway  was    thrilling...  

 It was our only misty day,  but the northern coastline  was with us most of the way...
 And then we were  at the Causeway!

 A most    contemplative  place to be. most northern spot one earth I've ever been....about the same latitude as Copenhagen, and not  far south of Anchorage...  I so would have loved to be there at night  to see the Northern Lights....  Still on my bucket list!!!
 While in NI.  we stayed in the Europa  Hotel in Belfast.. the most bombed out hotel in the world 
and to end our  lovely 2 weeks,  we stayed  at  Cabra Castle..    near Dublin!
 Loved our  room....

All in all it was  my dream trip to   one of  my ancestral  lands!!!





6. What quote or saying perfectly sums up your life right now? If you can't do perfect, how about one that comes close?
'Take time to smell the roses'...  I  am  really in a mood to  just  take in everything  that is   lovely,  memorable, and   made by the Creator...  

7. How would you spend $300 today?
Well,  I spent a third of that today  on Easter baskets for the girls... We'd spend the other  2/3  on     my spending spree at Kohl's since   we have a 30% coupon burning a hold in our pocket! We both  could  spruce up our spring wardrobe a bit  as we are planning a  trip in the coming  weeks...

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Have to go now  to eat.  Hubs  finished up our  dinner..  by  heating up the bbq chicken strips for our salad.. then we're off to choir..  to practice  for Easter.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Schotzy! I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge! Oh boy...that first one about the wedding...I'd be a bit upset, too. Loved seeing and hearing about your Ireland trip. It's on our bucket list. Amen to your second answer! Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~