Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Wednesday Hodge Podge ~Flying

From this Side of the Pond

Return to Joyce's page here!

1. Tell us about a time you felt like you were 'flying by the seat of your pants'.
I sort of felt this way Sunday morning..  after  church  and  Sunday School,  we usually go out to eat,  but Hubs had  to stay after church a while for a meeting so I came home  and decided on the spot to  cook  a homemade  dinner...in the  tradition of my dear momma and  Grandmothers...haha!
 It just about killed me... I so wanted  it to be just like mom's.. fried chicken,  deviled eggs,  asparagus,  mashed potatoes, rolls,   dessert..
Well,  the chicken had to be defrosted.  thankfully,  it was  thinly sliced  breasts.  While I worked that  I  boiled the eggs and  peeled the potatoes..I was  feeling really  glad that I had  bought a frozen lemon pie   the day the before.  Finally, the  meat was thawed  and    I  spent  a goodly amount of time   really trying to season it well and  cook it just like momma would... by this time  it was  nearly  12:30  and  I was thinking  man,  I need to  speed it up  because I wanted things to be  ready when hubs walked in the door...  but I was beginning to drag about the kitchen..  I deviled those  eggs like a mad hatter...  and  snapped off the ends of  that asparagus drizzled them in  oil  seasoned them and popped them in the  oven.   Set the table and    then came in and mashed those  tators      everything was  looking pretty good,   but suddenly the bottom  actually fell out of me. I mean the adrenalin was  gone.. with everything sitting in its  pan    I  went and  collapsed on the sofa  which is how  hubs found  me by  12:45.  I  just  told him..  dinner in the kitchen...enjoy!   



2.  When or where would you most like to be 'a fly on the wall'?

Sometimes  I'd love to  just slip quietly in and enjoy watching my grand daughters  as they  play or  dance  their  ballerina  routines... I wouldn't want to disturb their  imaginative play.   But  it is  so sweet to watch them  perform    their  made up dance!!  Sorry the video  doesnt work..  apparently one  must be a fly on the wall to actually see it...  but I love how  the  baby  at 14 months  dances with her arms  up in the air...


3. 'Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.'-Henry David Thoreau 

Would you agree? Why or why not?
Yes,    I have  been  in that strive for happiness mode  before.. trying to make  things  "special"    or  recapture  a holiday  feeling  from the past.. and  it is always elusive... just  let it go and  that  beautiful  butterfly will  dance  around your life and  happiness is sure to follow!!


4. Share a favorite movie, book, or song with flying in it's title, lyrics, or theme somewhere.

I wish it was  a  more seasonal   song,  but  I do love this one.  This  is exactly how I used to fly as a child..

5. What is one task or chore you tend to do 'on the fly'? Is this something that really needs to be done another way?

hahaha...honestly,,,    lately it seems  most  household tasks  are this way... especially putting   clean laundry away...  or  unpacking my  suitcase  finally and putting everything away..  It happens  in spurts ..  sort of like in passing..  But I straighten up the house the same way..   I grab a bag  and in passing put everything that belongs upstairs in it and  place it on the stairs until I go  back up to put things away.  Im'  B...A...D!


6. What was happening the last time you thought to yourself or said aloud, 'Wow, time flies when you're having fun', and you meant it.Just last month  when we were visiting our  kids/ grands in Massachusetts...Because I know that the next time we see them will be   months away and I think of all the  growing and  developing  that  takes place in a 1 and 3 year old  that we will miss!!

7. This Thursday is National Garlic Day. Will you add garlic to your menu on Thursday? Do you like garlic? What's your favorite dish made with garlic?  Sounds like  Thursday  may be a spaghetti day then..  I  love garlic..    but not too much. my  aunt  eats it so much  the scent actually  oozes from her. no thanks!


I love to use Cento  crushed tomatoes to  make my homemade  sauce...


it makes the perfect  base for  my sauce. Start by sauteing  the beef  or  beef  sausage  combo,  drain,    remove from the pan  then  add a bit of oo ,  finely diced onion,  a bit of garlic,  and  a  finely diced red pepper...   add back   the   sauteed  beef   ..  then  add  the  tomatoes,  oregano, bay leaf, Italian seasoning , salt and  a  bit of sugar. Simmer  for  a couple of hours... so  delish!!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
This week  we  get the week off  from our Women's Bible Study, otherwise, Id be there  right now...  I  do  love this study on developing our   daily reading of the psalms and writing our  prayers  back to God in response   It  goes a long way to  increase our love relationship with God.

3 comments:

  1. Stopping in from WHP. Loved your responses and that precious video of the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching children during their imaginative play is so fun. It's amazing what they can come up with. It sounds like your granddaughters were having a great time as ballerinas! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find cooking a large meal now is not as simple as it once was. I need to do it more often, because I think you lose your sense of timing if you're not cooking regularly. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~