Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Wednesday Hodge Podge




Click the icon to return to Joyce's page!

1. The Hodgepodge lands on June 14th this week, Flag Day in the US of A. Do you fly your country's flag at home? Sometimes, often, or every single day? Have you ever visited the city of Brotherly Love (Philadelphia)? Did you make a point of seeing The Betsy Ross House? Have you ever made a trip to Baltimore? If so, was Fort McHenry on your itinerary? (where Francis Scott Key was inspired to write The Star Spangled Banner)
I would say  I'm a pretty patriotic gal.. I  cry at parades and naval  air force  flyovers.  We do fly the flag  pretty often.. although I do enjoy other  garden flags, as well.  We  do fly Old glory  at least  straight  through from Memorial Day to  the  Fourth of July.
We have been to Philadelphia....  it holds great memories for us...  we  picked up our infant daughter there  when she flew   from Seoul, S. Korea to  join our family!  We,  then,  drove her   there  when she was  six   to  retrace our steps  about her adoption and  to take her to the zoo  to  find her favorite  swans  from  E. B. White's book,  The Trumpet of the Swan.  Praise  the Lord  they were there!!!
The Trumpet of the Swan

The only time  I've been to Baltimore  has been as  Amtrak  passes through on our trips to Boston!

2. Red flag or white flag? Which have you encountered most recently? Explain.
I would have to  say red flags most often, as I am a super intuitive  person and  when I get a red flag or what I call a check in my spirit,   I  stop and  change direction.

3. Are you a stay in the car listen to the end of a song kind of person? What kind of person is that?Oh, yes,  especially for a beloved song  from  our ( hubby and me) past...  We listen to oldie but goldie  stations and  there are certain songs we sing  along to each other and we wouldn't dare  stop midstream just because we  pulled into the  driveway!

4. What are some of the traits or qualities you think a good dad possesses? In other words, what makes a good dad? What's an expression you associate with your father?
To me a  good dad  is  strong of character, sets  a great example and standard of  citizenship and leadership in the home,  yet is  gentle of heart  and spirit,  is hopefully  a  man of God  who  lives  by the tenets of  God's Word,  and loves his family unconditionally....who  wields a  compassionate but   unyielding authority...  His yes is yes,  his no is no, and his is the final word.Who sets  fair   and loving  parameters,  but  is willing to  talk, listen and  if he deems  a situation   is  worthy of  allowing  some lea way  he  will  respect his  children's  defense  for  consideration  on a  one by one basis...He  helps his  children  set goals and  helps   them attain those goals  with  encouragement and  expectation...  and  will lend a hand  as necessary,  but understands the  very necessary need for  his children  to  learn  and  accept  consequences    for their actions  whether at school or  where ever.  He will supplement  a child's learning.. in our case it was  algebra for  our sweet Amanda  who  unfortunately really didn't have a good teacher and  a good dad will  go the extra mile to help ,  but not too much,  so his child  can  succeed  on their own merit.
My dad's   best attribute was  his tender heartedness...  he was a mild mannered man  and loved me unconditionally.

5. What's one rule you always disagreed with while growing up? Is that rule somehow still part of your adult life? Is that a good or bad thing?
I really was a  very good  child...  I was an only child and  very timid...  I think I actually feared my mom...  being a dairy farmer's daughter and oldest of six girls  she often felt the  leather strap  from her dad   who was  quite a disciplinarian..  I suppose she had  very high  expectations...  she did work hard  and  perhaps I was a bit  lazy...  I never  really did know  why or what I  really did   but    she used a switch on me  a lot  as  a little girl...  I  know that in her mind  I  needed  it  because that was her  mindset,   but  I did so  despise going to school with  switch marks on my legs..  I never used a  switch on our daughter...  although  we did  spank her bottom,   on occasion..I  know that  my  biggest concern  as a parent was  to  raise a child  to respect authority  and we  did try to  teach her to be  contrite,  understand   why she was being  disciplined and  to be  sorry  for her actions.  I  was always so sorry  and  showed  a very contrite nature  with my parents... so teaching that  was  hard for me... it came so naturally  for me.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
All I know is  that  we did  a  good job  raising  our daughter,,,  plus God is an awesome Father and  filled in for our  lapses,  but our daughter   grew into the most  amazing  student,  adult,  and now mother of two  precious daughters of her own...  We could not be prouder of her!!!   Love you,Amanda!
Isn't she a beauty!?!

4 comments:

  1. What a beauty your daughter is, as well. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with your description of a good dad. I'm glad God blessed you with your daughter; your love shines through in your words. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had very strict parents as well, so I understand that fear that you're talking of. It looks like you did an amazing job with your daughter. She's gorgeous and, from what you wrote, seems to have an incredible heart as well. Good job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very thoughtful hodgepodge. I enjoyed reading it. Your daughter is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~