Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Birthday Hodegepodge

Welcome to another edition of the weekly Wednesday Hodgepodge.   I am joining  Joyce   here.

Okay here we go-


1. When did you last 'swim against the tide'?

For  since I am a non- swimmer,  I  can't even  imagine  swimming   against   the tide  in a literal  sense....   I would just   get swept asea....   but   idiomatically,   this whole  first part of  2015   has been like  swimming    ferociously just trying to keep my feet on the ground....   As  only child and care giver to  my  90+ year old parents  who  were  released to heaven  within this  last year,  my mom  right after Christmas past....  I  was  hit  with what  I suppose is the orphan spirit... Instead of finding my own release from  the heartache of  seeing them in such heartbreaking  decline ,I   experienced  huge  grief and  loss which materialized in a host of   medical ailments  ranging  from  IBS, to  TMJ,  .nothing  like  being attacked by    the alphabet...  being  hugely involved in  church  committees  I lost all  desire to   participate....  so I  quit the non-essentials,   and  have struggled with the    rest....  MY  Bible  Study  teacher   recognized that  a spirit of  infirmity had been transferred to me  and   she prayed a cutting away prayer over me and  I  am  much  back to my old self now....  and  am finding my way    and my life...  but  it has been  an upstream struggle!

2. What's the last self-help or self-improvement book you read?
I am reading Prayer Altars, by John Mulinde....  an awesome read  about   the need for Christians  to  establish  prayer altars in their hearts and  tend them daily,,,  well, moment by moment, in  communion with God  ..  for we are a royal priesthood and  the altar of our heart  toward God must be   swept out of  all uncleanliness,  the fire of our spirit lit and  kept burning in praise and adoration for our Creator and Father. and if we do this personally,   as well,  together in our home,  business,   schools,     and of course, churches it will bring  transformation  to  all.. including our communities and  even the nation...  This is such a powerful book and  I wish it were required reading for  Christians across our  land,...  if it was practiced  our nation wouldnt be in this state! Unfortunately  where there are no    godly  altars  burning,      unholy altars  are   established  and darkness fills the land... as  holy altars  are  built  their light pushes back the darkness...  I highly recommend  getting a copy of this  marvelous book!

3. "Tolerance is a tremendous virtue, but the immediate neighbors of tolerance are apathy and weakness." (Sir James Goldsmith)

Agree or disagree? Discuss. With civility please, because i think we have a good thing going in our very diverse (in geography, age, religion, political persuasion, ethnicity, marital status, upbringing, and cooking abilities) neighborhood here on This Side of the Pond.

Webster defines tolerance~sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own.
I can  have sympathy for  someones  beliefs, other than my own, but  the  idea of tolerance has shifted in  the world today to allow  other beliefs to  become the norm and  to circumvent others  strong held beliefs...  tolerance should be a two way street, but unfortunately, here in our   nation  it appears,   that  the definition   has been  changed    along with  laws  to  support those changes: laws that protect  the rights of those outside  the mainstream whereas,    others  rights  are  diminished...    

4. What is one of your most vivid memories of the kitchen from your childhood?

My mother  was raised on a dairy farm  and  she was the oldest of 6 daughters... she was also the best  cook  , I believe,  of all of them... Mother never used a cook book.  delicious  food  such seemed to  miraculously come together   ...  mother was   a very thrifty  homemaker...   she could make    food   fit for  royalty  with  the  cheaper  cut of meat...   she worked hard in our garden  to raise  the  food  she put on the table... My most vivid memories were    that  she   was always  in the kitchen,   unless she was  hanging out the clothes or  working in the garden   she had a pot of something always simmering on the stove....  we  had a homemade dessert  just about every  evening.  She made the best fried chicken  ever  and  I wish I  had paid closer attention!

5. How did/do your own children's summers compare with your summers as a child? If you're not a parent, answer as it relates to what you've observed about the current generation of children vs. your own childhood.
MY childhood summers  were  as  has been mentioned by our hostess...  very carefree...  thankfully, life in the 50's  seemed safe and  neighborly.   I was an only child,  and when I wanted to be by myself I'd lie on   the glider on our front porch and read  my Trixie Belden book, but if I wanted companionship, Id  be  all over the neighborhood  visiting friends and  playing  everywhere...  from Vickie's house to Kathy's to the woods  and  on Charlotte's swings... We were everywhere, without permission and  happy as larks.  Just had to be home by suppertime.  For  vacations we went camping...  either to the mountains or the seashore.

We have one daughter  and   she came along  in our mid thirties... ..  we were  well established and wanted  her to  have   a classical upbringing...   times in the mid 80's onward had  changed  dramatically ...  we were  very  skeptical  about   our neighbors because we didnt know them.  Therefore,  we were  pretty protective of   Amanda's  where abouts...  So we mostly  planned her activities.  We  wanted her to learn to swim well, so we joined the pool, and she was  active on the swim team.  She  had  piano and violin lessons... she had planned play dates with special friends ...  We planned  theme parties for her summer  birthday, and when we went on vacation  we  stayed in nice hotels andwere planning events  to broaden her horizons.. It  was just a different time...  so often  I wish  she had had the opportunity to go to my grandmas' homes in the country.. to  wake up  under several quilts  in a very cold house...   to eat breakfast that had been cooked over  a  wood burning stove..   Each generation  has it's    own   wonderful   things    but  they are ever so different.

6. Tell us what body of water you would most like to be on or near today, and why?

Today is my 65th birthday  and I recently was  on the wild Atlantic Way  in Ireland.  Even though I will be spending the day  with my  4  best friends  on a shopping trip to Charlottesville, YAYAYAYAYA!..   IN my dreams I'd love to be back in Ireland  , actually living there  in Donegal  and    be able to sit in  my own garden  there by the river   Finn and  luxuriate  in God's  magnificent creation!
Image result for DOnegal Fintown
And  from my vantage  point I  would love to see my lawn   taken care of.
Image result for DOnegal Fintown

7. Share a favorite song about water, or a favorite song with the word water in it's title, or a favorite song to listen to as you sit beside the water.   It would be  this  Davy Spillane  piece...  on his Uillean pipes!  The River of Gems....


8. Insert your own random thought here.

Happy birthday to me...   safe travels and     glorious times with  friends and family!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness you said it for me in #3. It is very sad what our nation has decided is necessary to do for those who are outside the mainstream. Just cannot understand it. Beautiful pictures here today! Happy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to get my daughter to listen to the song you shared. She loves all kinds of instrumental music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. Sorry to hear of your losses that would certainly take some adjusting to. Thoughtful answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to you! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~