Saturday 9: Flipper (1964)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Flipper ran for three seasons, from 1964 to 1967. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan? Oh, yes, every Saturday night!
2) Brothers Sandy and Bud consider a bottle-nosed dolphin, named Flipper, their pet. Do you currently share your home with any animals? No.
3) Bud and Sandy's dad was Chief Warden Porter Ricks of the fictional Coral Key Marine Preserve. In reality, the show was filmed in Miami and Key Biscayne. When were you last in the ocean? Which ocean was it? I stuck my toe in Cape Cod Bay.
4) There was no one single "Flipper." In close-ups, the role was played by a dolphin named Susie. While Susie was good at interacting with people, she had trouble with stunts, and sometimes a male dolphin named Clown was brought in for action sequences. Do you consider yourself more social, like Susie? Or are you more athletic, like Clown? Just call me Susie!
5) Without looking it up, do you know the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise? I think I got them both confused with sharks, but dolphins more so!I think the snout is more pronounced on dolphins!
6) Flipper wasn't just a TV pet. He was an industry! During the show's run, Flipper comic books, coloring books and puzzles were very popular. As an adult, do you entertain yourself by reading comics, coloring, or completing jigsaw puzzles? I really enjoy jigsaw puzzles and those adult color books. I bought a Creative Bible with photos to color. I use colored pencils.

7) The Flipper lunchbox was also a big seller. It came with a Thermos topped with a red cup. Do you own a Thermos? Yes, a stainless steel one.
8) In 1964, when Flipper premiered, it was up against The Outer Limits and The Jackie Gleason Show. If those were your only viewing choices, would you watch the family show about the dolphin, the sci-fi anthology show, or the comedy-variety show? (Or would you rather flip through a magazine?)I enjoyed Flipper and Back in that day Ranger Ricks was easy on the eyes.
9) Random question -- Which would you be more comfortable explaining: how a car engine works, the current IRS tax brackets, or the rules of baseball?
I suppose it would have to be baseball, but I do know there must be at least one finer point I would miss...

What a beautiful picture of Cape Cod!
ReplyDeleteI have not been watching the Cardinals in person...they have no fans because of COVID, but I HAVE seen them many times in St. Louis and we have a AA team here where I live for the Cardinals we can get to real fast...but no fans this year. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Your answer to #8 made me smile because I noticed the same thing: Flipper's dad was HOT!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your answers today.
ReplyDeleteWe do have some similar answers.
Have a good Saturday.
Hello and happy Saturday. I enjoyed your fun answers. Have a great weekend. Stay well and safe!
ReplyDeleteI like your Creative Bible. I think I have one on my shelf like that but I plan to gift it. There is a whole community out there when it comes to Bible journaling. Illustratedfaith.com Several groups on FB too. Your grands are cute!
ReplyDeleteI use colored pencils when I color, too, generally, but I was surprised at what I could do with crayons when I tried them.
ReplyDeleteHellooo Porter Ricks! I had no idea he was so studly lol.
ReplyDeleteFlipper! I had forgotten about that show. I loved it too, watched it every week. I don't know the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise. I know there is one, I just don't know what it is!
ReplyDelete