The Love Boat
Welcome to Saturday 9. Hosted by Sam!
Saturday 9: The Love Boat (1977)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) The Love Boat ran from 1977 to 1987. It was in the Top 10 for seven of those 10 seasons. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan? Yes, I liked it a lot! I was the right age.(27-37)
2) Every week, viewers followed The Pacific Princess as she set sail to a glamorous destination. Have you ever taken a cruise? If so, where did you go? No, we used to think it would be fun but no more. We think about river cruises now.
3) Gavin MacLeod played Captain Steubing. Born Allan See, he came up with the stage name by combining the first name of a fictional character he admired, and the last name of a teacher who influenced him. Using his formula, give yourself a stage name. For example, Sam would be Hermione Hart (Hermione from Harry Potter; Hart for her Kindergarten teacher).
I would be Margaret ( M. Hale from North and South) and (F. From my 7th grade teacher) Forbes.
4) After the series ended, Fred Grandy (aka "Gopher") went on to become a Congressman from Iowa and then CEO of Goodwill Industries. If you had a bag of gently-used items to donate, where would you take them? Goodwill is handy, but we prefer Salvation Army.
5) Ted Lange is best known for his role as the ship's bartender, Isaac. But he began his career performing the classics, and appeared at Colorado Shakespearean Festival and London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Let's class up this joint. Give us a little Shakespeare.
Saturday 9: The Love Boat (1977)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) The Love Boat ran from 1977 to 1987. It was in the Top 10 for seven of those 10 seasons. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan? Yes, I liked it a lot! I was the right age.(27-37)
2) Every week, viewers followed The Pacific Princess as she set sail to a glamorous destination. Have you ever taken a cruise? If so, where did you go? No, we used to think it would be fun but no more. We think about river cruises now.
3) Gavin MacLeod played Captain Steubing. Born Allan See, he came up with the stage name by combining the first name of a fictional character he admired, and the last name of a teacher who influenced him. Using his formula, give yourself a stage name. For example, Sam would be Hermione Hart (Hermione from Harry Potter; Hart for her Kindergarten teacher).
I would be Margaret ( M. Hale from North and South) and (F. From my 7th grade teacher) Forbes.
4) After the series ended, Fred Grandy (aka "Gopher") went on to become a Congressman from Iowa and then CEO of Goodwill Industries. If you had a bag of gently-used items to donate, where would you take them? Goodwill is handy, but we prefer Salvation Army.
5) Ted Lange is best known for his role as the ship's bartender, Isaac. But he began his career performing the classics, and appeared at Colorado Shakespearean Festival and London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Let's class up this joint. Give us a little Shakespeare.
“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.”
― Romeo and Juliet
6) Bernie Kopell played the ship's doctor, Adam Bricker. Kopell first appeared on TV in 1961 and was a regular on Get Smart and That Girl, and he's still acting today. But Love Boat was, by far, his favorite role. Working on the show was "absolute heaven" because he was paid to travel the world and meet his acting idols, like Oscar winners Greer Garson, Joan Fontaine and Eva Marie Saint, who appeared on the show. When you think of the best job you have ever had, what made it so good: the pay, the location, the people you met, or the work itself?
That is easy. I loved my 30 years of working with my students, seeing the light of understanding come on and then enjoying the creativity of application.
7) Lauren Tewes played Cruise Director Julie McCoy. Today she lives in Seattle, appearing in local theater and -- between acting assignments -- working as a chef for a catering service. Have you hosted dinner for more than 8 people? If yes, do you remember what you served? Yes, and it was our first Christmas dinner here in our home. we had Crown roast with those paper crowns on the rib bones. And all the trimmings... since this was over 30 years ago I had to find a photo online!
7) Lauren Tewes played Cruise Director Julie McCoy. Today she lives in Seattle, appearing in local theater and -- between acting assignments -- working as a chef for a catering service. Have you hosted dinner for more than 8 people? If yes, do you remember what you served? Yes, and it was our first Christmas dinner here in our home. we had Crown roast with those paper crowns on the rib bones. And all the trimmings... since this was over 30 years ago I had to find a photo online!
online source
8) For the first nine seasons, the theme was sung by Jack Jones. The Grammy-winning singer says one of his career highlights playing Sky Masterson onstage in Guys and Dolls. In his late 50s at the time, had had to go outside his comfort zone, dancing and acting as well as singing before a live audience. Tell us about something new you tried recently.
We recently began members in a new church. Our new church is so beloved, I find I am so much happier.. it is very much smaller. I can definitely say that every one of the 25 families who are members are strong Christians. We all participate in every event held in the church. Everyone attends Bible Study, prayer meeting etc. I am the leader of the prayer team there, and very much more is placed on me there than I've ever had on me in much larger churches, But knowing the responsibility to lead inand encourage prayer is so fundamental and important, it pushes me to study more and to always make myself available whenever the need arises!
9) Random question -- Which would you rather receive as a gift: one $500 wristwatch, or five $100 wristwatches?I have no need for a new or any wrist watch! I love my retirement watch I received 17 years ago... and it keeps on tickin'!
We recently began members in a new church. Our new church is so beloved, I find I am so much happier.. it is very much smaller. I can definitely say that every one of the 25 families who are members are strong Christians. We all participate in every event held in the church. Everyone attends Bible Study, prayer meeting etc. I am the leader of the prayer team there, and very much more is placed on me there than I've ever had on me in much larger churches, But knowing the responsibility to lead inand encourage prayer is so fundamental and important, it pushes me to study more and to always make myself available whenever the need arises!
9) Random question -- Which would you rather receive as a gift: one $500 wristwatch, or five $100 wristwatches?I have no need for a new or any wrist watch! I love my retirement watch I received 17 years ago... and it keeps on tickin'!

I'm so glad #8 was a good experience for you! The right church and minister can make all the difference. I switched churches back in the mid-1990s, leaving the congregation I grew up in, and it was the right choice. My girlhood church seemed more interested in perpetuating itself than in improving the community, and that really left me questioning. Anyway, when I changed, I worried about my grandmother. She was VERY active in my former church. But she was fine with it. She supported me following my own spiritual path.
ReplyDeleteThat crown roast sounds delicious
ReplyDeleteIt was fun reading about the actors who played in The Love Boat and what they are up to now. I watched that show a lot back in the day. So glad you have found a church congregation you like and that you can be involved in. That is so important. Have a good weekend.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I wish we belonged to a small church. Our church is huge. I think knowing everyone and getting together would be so nice. When we were in church choir we had that a little, but the church only has singers now. We do not have many friends from church anymore. I have been lucky to find myself in the presence of great Christian friends at work though. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
River cruises sound wonderful...is that grass on the top of that ship??? I'd also like to take an inter-coastal waterways cruise, but those, I know, are SUPER expensive!
ReplyDeleteLove Boat was on every Saturday night I believe. My family would watch it and I would even come home early on a date and watch it on the sofa with my family and little sister, al of us eating popcorn!
ReplyDeleteWe've never been on a cruise but we talk about taking an Inside Passage to Alaska. One day. I loved watching the Love Boat! Hearing the theme song makes me feel so nostalgic. Great post!
ReplyDelete