Wednesday, September 10, 2014

An Apple a Day

Ever since  beginning  teaching third grade,  ahem,  we wont  determine how long ago that was,   but anyway,  September meant it was time to do a Johnny Appleseed bulletin board.... the students names were  written on  laminated juicy red   apple cutouts,   and  that memory  sticks with me....
 photo 2013-08-26044311_zps7ec6dbea.jpg
so when  mom sold her house and I   inherited her  Fransiscan apple dishes out they come  every September!
 photo 2013-08-27223133_zpsd2b8f3ee.jpg
Mama had cut out and painted these adorable napkin rings,  and when I found  the  gorgeous blue fabric for napkins and  runner,   I decided what a lovely  way to use the  dishes  for other seasons besides  Thanksgiving   when Mama always used them....  Ive always loved  them so!

 photo 2013-08-27223139_zps4fc914c0.jpg
These dishes  go  way back with me, at say over 50 years.... gee, I never thought of them as antiques,   but...   let's not go there!  Mama must have bought them  the very first time she saw them come out in the stores  for I remember growing up with them using them only  on special occasions...otherwise they always graced the shelves of mama's  pine hutch in the dining room!
Instead of    an apple arrangement  this time of year,  I prefer to  use this  amazing planter  that  Amanda gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago...  That was such a God thing.... I first saw this planter  while on a bus trip to Lancaster, PA and loved it so much, but  it is heavy and I  hesitated  having to care for it on the bus,  so I  just  decided to live without it. Imagine my surprise  when unknowingly
Amanda saw it, ordered it and sent to me in the post  from  Boston a few months later. God is so good!  photo 2013-08-27223244_zpsbae41f19.jpg
The    wonderful  teacups are  such a delight in which to savor apple spice tea, cider, or  coffee!
 photo 2bff7c28-8bde-4ab4-8fba-a3334f227a78_zps1abaaf14.jpg
Just to let you know  I am planning  a  gathering this month with  an  apple theme...  one of my favorite appetizers  for fall  is 
                      

Three-Cheese Walnut Spread

You can use light cream cheese
Ingredients: 
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted 
package (8 ounces) cream cheese 
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese 
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese 
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
Apple wedges, pear wedges or assorted crackers (optional)
Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place walnuts in a Baker.
 Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly toasted.
2. Meanwhile, in Bowl, microwave cream cheese
 on HIGH 1 minute or until softened. Add blue cheese,
 mozzarella cheese and black pepper; mix well. 
3. Remove baker from oven to Cooling Rack.
 Carefully pour walnuts into cheese mixture;
 mix well. Spoon cheese mixture back into baker,
 spreading evenly.
4. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted.
 Garnish with parsley. Place baker on serving platter; 
surround with apple or pear wedges or assorted
 crackers, if desired. Serve spread using Spreader. 
Yield: 16 servings 
©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2003 
This  hot spread  is delicious on crackers 
 and fruit slices....  it always gets rave reviews
                                    Make it Pretty 

9 comments:

  1. Oh, what lovely memories are attached to your apple dishes! They look wonderful with your runner and napkins. The planter is a sweet and thoughtful gift. I love the bird motif on it! Thank you for sharing this at Tea Time and have a beautiful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Apple pattern. It reminds me of my Mother-in-Law. She would put them out every Thanksgiving. Your table looks so pretty. Have a great week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What special memories. I love hearing stories of old things and how they touch our hearts now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely memories. Wish I could have gotten a better look at the photos - they wouldn't enlarge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely apple setting! It sounds like you have many wonderful memories of these plates, which make them extra special. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your apple themed posting. Also the wonderful sentiments regarding your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the old franciscan dinnerware. They make new versions but they are NOT as nicely made as the old ones. They are a lovely treasure for you, especially with all the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this fabric is apple licious and goes perfectly. I remember this pattern of dinnerware the red is so bold,Can I covet the napkin rings? lolSusie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty dishes! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to the party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-114.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~