Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Surf's Up Hodge Podge



1. Have you ever been fishing? Did you catch a fish? If so did you keep it or throw it back? If you haven't been fishing is that something you'd like to try?

Fish out of water, big fish in a small pond, living in a fishbowl, packed in like sardines, this is a fine kettle of fish, plenty of fish in the sea, fish or cut bait...which fishy phrase most recently applies to some area of your life?

As an only child, my daddy and  grandpa  took me fishing quite a lot, especially on Trout  season opening day...  We'd go up on the Roanoke River and stake out our spot  around dawn and stay all day..  I  wasn't  too afraid of  baiting my own hook...  I  got the hang of it  pretty well, and  was very excited  to catch  a fish...although I remember catching an overhanging limb  a time or two.  
"This is a fine kettle of fish"  seems to suit me today...  can't really explain why  except to say that  the enemy of  our  lives, and  king of lies roams about seeking to rob, steal and destroy everything good in life!!

2. What's something you're always fishing for in your purse, wallet, desk, or kitchen junk drawer?
  Even though my key chain is  huge and  heavy and  you'd think easy to lay hand to,   I can never  just  fish it out of my purse without having to  pretty much empty it of everything else....  drives me nuts!!!!

3. Your favorite fish tale or movie?Well,  when   I was about  8  my family including  aunts, uncles and maternal grandparents took a fishing trip in October to  Moorehead City NC.  Grandpa always said the fish were  really bitin' in October even though the gnats were killers!! But  our first night out on the pier  a  huge oil tanker came into port and  suddenly  caught on fire.. I mean a huge fire and  problem was  the  oil tanks  were  just right there  beyond the dock..  We  were standing  out on the pier watching    helicopters  flying over   and planes dropping  chemicals on the fire...  the  radios  blasted  telling the vacationers  to be  alert to  a mandatory  island   evacuation...  but  the fishermen were so intent on  catching all those fish that the  fire was  sending our way  we  were  crazily  casting, then hauling in  tons of  fish that night.
  When my parents  sent me off to bed I remember lying abed and watching the  rosy red light    reflecting on the walls around me as the  fire  blazed  so  very nearby,,  and  just lying there  wondering... and thinking...  could we really be blown right off the map of the coast of NC..  THe  grown-ups (Grumps)  must really like their fish....  

4. Are you sunrise, daylight, twilight or night? Explain why you chose your answer.
That answer  would be different with each stage of life....  but for me now  I   am sunrise... My inner clock  awakens me  right about sunrise everyday.... a hold over from  my teaching days...  but I do love a slow beginning of a  new great day...  it means  my first cup of coffee and  some quiet time  with  God!  To be honest  I have sort of  deviated from that but it is  a  real habit I truly want to  reinitiate for my life!!

5. What's the oldest piece of clothing you own and still wear?
It would be a  green rubber  slicker that  is lined with  a    navy blue  bonded  fabric  that has green whales printed on it..  Can't believe I  got it  way back in the 70's and  I can still wear it... it is indestructible!!!!

6. We've got one more month of (officially) winter here in the Northern hemisphere. Are you feeling the need for a getaway? What's been the best and worst part of your winter so far?
What winter...?? I do vaguely remember  a snow day  back in January  but  that was  a rather disappointing one...  but even though  our weather has been much milder than usual  I have been perusing  beach  rentals    for  a while... I would love to get a few days in there  with our kids when they come visit  this year... but not in  mid summer....  maybe  mid  autumn....  I detest  hot/humid beach time!!!

7. The Wednesday Hodgepodge lands on National Margarita Day...will you be celebrating? Frozen or on the rocks? Are you a Jimmy Buffet fan? If so, what's your favorite JB tune?
Well,  I did  imbibe one time  actually last summer  when we were travelling and  spending the night in Pa... I had always wondered  about them  and  the restaurant was known for  their  magaritas and I was feeling sort of adventurous... It was tasty I must say,  but  even a big gal like me  couldnt hold her  liquor... I  felt so woozy walking to the car, I thought  , Oh, my ,  and people are leaving restaurants all the time  driving under the influence  like  this!! and I only had 1  drink...  It made me  want to stay home forever!!!! Hate to admit it,  but  Jimmy Buffet????  I dont know him
  I mean...  Ive heard of him  but  that's all I  know...  his name
... 
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I suppose  confession is good for the soul,  but I do hope I didnt    cause anyone to stumble.  I suppose when we 're away from home  where no one knows us we may be more likely to  try  new things....  but I realize  readers on  here  may  know about me and  I am sorry if my previous  answer    may have  given you  reason to  question  or judge me..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~