Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pink Saturday

Photobucket

Welcome to Pink Saturday! It's
December.... I cant believe it...



There is a great possibility of snow... our first snow of the season ... in the forecast today! And there is nothing like snow for Christmas.
Photobucket
This lovely old house just looks like grandma's doesn't it? For me going to grandma's for Christmas was what Christmas was all about as a child. Being an only child I looked forward to Christmas so much because all the cousins would be there! I couldnt wait to see Pam and Tommy, and Jonny. and Linda, all the myriad others who were much younger than we! Then we'd end up at Granny's house where another whole set of cousins were waiting for us to come so Christmas could begin! There was Gary, Tim, Debbie, and Kathy.
Photobucket
Christmas.... at grandma's..... in the country ! There was always the promise of snow.... the hope for us all that we'd all get snowed in together.... and one year.... we did! I mean, the snow was 2 feet deep... and wind was fierce, our cheeks got chapped but we didnt care.... such glory. We had plenty of firewood, food, carols around the upright, and love! So much laughter.... holiday cheer. The day after Christmas we broke out the toboggan and sleds, built up a bonfire on the hill, and stayed outside all day until frostbite threatened to run us in the house... and then it was steaming cups of hot chocolate and gingerbread cake. I loved grandma's gingerbread the best! And at granny's it was the applesauce cake with caramel icing. Oh, Ive never tasted anything as good since! Those warm memories continue to fill my Christmases. I'm always trying to think of some way to make Christmas ring with those same sparks of joy that characterized those old Christmases. But it is just the family... as it is.... just being together.. sharing and remembering the love we all have for one another.
Photobucket
Like last year when Amanda was here right after she had defended her masters at Tech... and she helped mom and dad put up their decorations.
Photobucket
...having the blessing of both of my parents to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas now.

The thrill of expectancy is building this year... as we contemplate Amanda and Josh... coming in on the train from MA. Family... together... loving! It's a wonderful time of the year!!!
Photobucket
This week and for each week this month we have a holiday assignment to share a memory or two from our Christmases past!
Photobucket
Happy Pink Saturday!
And Merry Christmas!

Visit Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for more
Pink Saturday!

9 comments:

  1. On this first Saturday of December ♥Jappy Pink Saturday♥. I was away for a while and sure missed running around the blogs arnd seeing all of the goodies everyone was sharing.

    Thanks for the memory...

    It was a blessing for you to make my morning so much fun. Hoping that you and those you care about spend a wonderful weekend making memories that will last a lifetime☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your memories of Christmas in the country. Mine were often similar. It was a 2 hour drive to get to our Grandparents, but we didn't mind. all our cousins would be there, most often we would all sleep over. Pink Blessings!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Pink Saturday. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story and photos. Family is the best part of Christmas. I love the photos of your dogs too. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that this, too, will be a wonderful Christmas. It is always so nice when everyone can come together at the same table. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Don't you love your family memories?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Pink Saturday and Thanks for sharing your joys and blessings with us. I feel as if I know your family now! Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, I have always dreamed of experiencing a white Christmas. I spent most of my life in south Florida, so definitely no white Christmas there.

    I love reading about your Christmas with all of your family. I am an only child, too, but all of our family lived in another state.

    And, yum about the gingerbread. I haven't had any hot gingerbread in forever. Maybe I will make some for my grandson.

    Happy Pink Saturday, and wishes for many more years of creating memories with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a magical time and a wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing and Happy Belated Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Childhood memories are so special & so are family getting together. Thank you for sharing yours. I have never experiences a white Christmas .... a cold one but it was an unusual year that year. I'm used to warm/hot Christmas days. A white Christmas would be kinda nice to experience.

    Happy belated pink saturday.

    ciao for now,
    Elena :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~