Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge



1. What's the last thing you did that could be described as 'taxing'? 

At the risk of possibly coming across as a bad daughter, it has to be the last 3 years of caring for my aging parents... They celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary, and then both fell into horrible conditions. Mother fell and broke her back which culminated in severe excruciating pain for her, and my dad's health was terribly compromised by liver disease from a botched bile duct surgery 7 years prior. So being an only child I had no recourse but to put them is separate nursing homes.... dad in a veteran's in the next town and mom in a facility nearby... Therein began a difficult three years that tore me apart in many ways...thankfully, hubs retired at that same time and was able to do the things necessary at their home to get it ready to sell... repairs, painting, the estate sale... momma was so mad at me for selling her things... but at 92 and on methadone for constant pain... she wasn't herself at all... I really cant even today talk about the emotional upheaval that occurred for me during these months.... I lived off of adrenalin and now even after 18 months since their passing, I'm still not fully recuperated from the stress and the pain of seeing my mom go from 175 pounds to 75 pounds...Believe me.. it takes a toll on you....

2. If you cold plant a garden of anything, what would be in it? 
I would have an English garden littered all over with prolific hydrangeas...

3. April 10-16 is National Library Week...will you celebrate with a visit to your nearest library? When did you last make a trip to the library? What are you reading right now? What's one title on your want-to-read list? 

I am definitely a 'real' book reader..but, actually, during these past 5 years I haven't had the unction to focus on a book to actually read cover to cover, unless it was a Bible study book or a chapter of the Bible..it is only these past few months of 2016 that I have wanted to just lay around and read.. that is what I do.. I read best in a prone position...even though we have been members of the "Friends of the Library'" for three years... we loved to attend the special functions at the library especially the mystery night! However, we didn't join this year because then I was too tempted to attend the members only book sale and bring home way too many books.. our bookshelves are super loaded..I am deep in the throes of rereading my Lynn Kurland series of Time Travel books...these are much milder books of the Outlander ilk..I enjoy them because I am entranced with medieval times... and the age of chivalry!

4. Share a saying or an old wives tale you heard while growing up, you believed to be true or that you paid attention to 'just in case'. 

If you swallow your gum, you'll get a  gum tree growing in your tummy!

5. Are you a fan of onions? Garlic? Ginger? What's a dish you love that contains one, two or all three items listed? 

Sounds like Chinese food...  which I love!!!

6. Where does nurturing end and indulging begin? What are some skills or qualities you think a person needs to posses in order to be viewed as mature?
Nurturing is the process of   providing   the needs of  a child...  physical needs, as well as,  emotional and  psychological needs  to  grow  into a responsible and  caring individual.  Indulging  is    providing the   wants of a child  to such a degree that their  wants  become needs to them and if they don't  receive  these want/needs  then they  learn  forms of manipulation  to try to  get them...  This  describes a  spoiled  child  to    learns to play  authority figures until they  actually begin to rule the home.  Maturity  springs forth  through learning  to  cope with  the  disappointments as well as the joys of life in such a way  as  to  be   a giving individual.. learning to think more highly of others than  self...  But I realize this is a very  sketchy   explanation and I don't have time to get more involved....

7. What leading figure in any field would you like to hear speak, and why?
I would love to  have been able to sit under  Derek Prince's ministry...  I agree completely with his theology. Alas, he  passed  at the end of the 20th century!  But his  preaching can be heard on you tube!

8. Insert your own random thought here. 













3 comments:

  1. I love your positive ending in spite of the circumstances you have been undergoing. My heart goes out to you, but am thankful for your husband to be helping you. I have a book by Derek Prince that I've only skimmed through. Your answer to number 6 is excellent. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think caring for aging parents is taxing, and doesn't mean we don't love or appreciate them. I love an English garden...wish I'd said that. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~