Thursday, April 7, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge



1. What does retirement mean to you? Are you planning for it, not thinking about it, looking forward to it, or dreading it?

Oh, my goodness.  I retired from teaching in 2003....  that seems so long ago,  I  think I should be 94,   but  I retired at age 53... after 30 years of teaching....  I loved the children, but the   bureaucracy was getting to me...  so  I  cashed in my chips and left the party...  I never knew that  my life  could  get so busy...  I used to think retirement was  time for a  good rest and reflection.. hahahahahah.... as soon as  it is discovered that you  have retired you  will be  bombarded with  requests of your  time...  but  to be honest.. I love  my life now....  I have learned things in retirement I never  would have learned in   all the years of teaching and my life    then...  retirement is  a  time of true commitment   to  things,  time,  others...  not  that I have to  get up and go punch a clock  but I get to get up and  serve in my church,  or  visit a friend, or   help my parents,  dabble in  oil painting, or    spend precious time with my  dear husband...   over  leisurely  breakfasts,  travelling,    working  around the house....   it is a time of  sweet  intimacy with  your  spouse...   not    so much the  physical kind,  but just   having the time to really  enjoy each other...  the sweetest day of my life was the  day  9 years after I retired my dear  husband  joined my ranks.  

2. It's International Guitar Month...do you play? Does anyone in your family play? What's a song you especially like to hear played on the guitar or a favorite song featuring the guitar?

No one plays guitar in my family....  we are  more a violin family....  still a stringed instrument  so  Im going to say it still  fits  in...  my  absolute favorite  song played on violin would have to be    Adagio for Strings! A most pensive and  soulful melody!


3. What's your comfort food?
I love  chinese food..

4. What's one activity or area of your life where you absolutely never procrastinate?
I have to say  Joyce said it best...I too, love the  sense of  peace that a made up bed  gives the  home...

5. Who does the grocery shopping in your house? Does your local store bag the groceries for you or is it a do-it-yourself kind of place? Do you like someone packing your groceries?
Before  hubs retired I did it all...  now  I love  for us to  do this together....  mainly because I never have a list.. he keeps the list  and knows best what we need  I am so bad!!!!

6. What's the coolest thing you've seen in nature?

I wish I could say  Halley's comet that I  looked forward to seeing  all of my adult life.. after hearing how  it's brightness lit up a  daytime sky..  good grief ... we drove to the darkest area  within 50 miles of home to look  upon it, sat in the car  all night long and never saw a thing..   but I deviate... I suppose it would be the great hawk that was  roosting  atop  our  lamp post  right by the  back steps that  lead up to  the driveway.. there I was  bounding out the  back door on my way to garden club one morning and  about    fell over as I approached the  steps  and looked up to see that menacing, yet majestic  beast   staring at me....  I  only remember  slowing backing back into the house and  screaming for hubs to  come look....alas,  we did not get a photo of it..  But  as it  flew away, its  wingspan looked to be  almsot  5 feet across!   Awesome  majesty!

7. Share a favorite quote about home.
As I was  researching quotes on home  and ran across this one, I  must say it  will now be my    quote to live by...  

If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.
So now I know  to  get a sack  and  go around the house and fill it with all the  stuff that doesnt fit those categories.. I love it!!!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
This week are enjoying a season of life that is marked  by  a precious milestone  that  makes hubs and I  almost giddy with  expectation... our one and only  child and her  family  have purchased their first house..after living in a gorgeous condo for 6 years, now that they  have  two wee ones  it was definitely time to take the plunge,  but  the  sellers market in their area   has been a  nightmare...  of  bidding wars and  disappointments...  But this week  their  dream is  accomplished.. and  it is so great to see them strategizing to  walk through the   coming days   to  bring it all to fruition...  for  now it is time to sell  the condo  with  two (2.5 and .25 year) daughters in tow....  Oh, how I wish I was there to just take those girls in hand and  let  the  parents do the rest....oh how much fun it would be to just rock  Lady Bug and    sing with  Miss Birdie!!! Here is just a sample of some of that cuteness!!! 
Well, I suppose we will be going  up  to join in the 'fun' sooner rather than later!!! yayayayaya!!

1 comment:

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~