Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Wednesday Hodge Podge ~Hoarding

From this Side of the Pond
Click the icon  to return to Joyce's page!

1. May 17th is National Pack Rat Day. Sidebar-should we be celebrating this? Hmmm...



Are you a pack rat? Even if you're not a full fledged pack rat, most people have one thing or another they struggle to part with. Tell us what's yours.

I am not a pack rat in the true sense of the word..  I don't squirrel things away  because  I  may need it later..    But  after  so many  folks  in our family have passed,  and  so much of their  'stuff' has  ended up in our basement...  plus  all the  expensive decor from our daughter's wedding is  mostly still  packed away in our basement..  one  could very likely say  we are  pretty ratty around here...  It is my husband who will not generally let me part with stuff from his family even though he really doesn't even like it...  bah! 

Every summer we do  go through stuff down there and have  managed to find a path through which to  pass to the  laundry room.
 In general up here in the main house,  I struggle with dishes.. I love to collect patterns....  to mix and match..  and I do very seldomly  get rid of  ones that  don't  sing to me anymore...  but truly,  storage of said dishes has become a problem.   I really  need to  get rid of my everyday dishes  that I don't particularly like and use  a couple of other sets of dishes now for every day..  They will probably  outlive  me at this stage.  Ha!

2. What are two things you know you should know how to do, but you don't?
I hate to admit this  but  Hubs does all our bookkeeping... not good... He is very organized and I have a general idea  of where everything is,  but  yikes...  I really need to start doing this...  That surely counts for more than 2  things!

3. Do you crave sugar? Do you add sugar to your coffee and/or tea? Do you use artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes? When dining out is dessert a given? Are you someone who has slain the sugar dragon, and if so tell us how you did it.
I do like  a bit of something sweet everyday.  To manage  it I  put  cookies   or chocolate kisses in the freezer and limit myself severely,  but do have a bite everyday.  I do sweeten my coffee and tea..  when I dine out I always ask for  half and half tea  which is not nearly so sweet. I never use  artificial.. my daughter  who was a  bio   researcher/ chemist when she worked  convinced me it is a NO-NO!! I  do use agave  in  baking  and  really try to cut back in recipes.  I rarely get a dessert out,    but  on a hot day I have been known to stop at DQ for a chocolate covered cone!!
Image result for dairy queen chocolate cone
4. What's a trend it took a while for you to come round to, but now you can't imagine living without?
The smart phone..  I had  a flip  for  so long...  actually up to last year...  I love  my smart phone..   the photos  and the research.

5. What's a song that reminds you of a specific incident in your life? Please elaborate.
Dating my husband.. We loved to  sing this!!!
HAh, the first one I thought of...  sad song,,  but  we loved it!!! 
also, 


6. Insert your own random thought here.
I feel so sorry for the youth of today...  I cannot image  that they even can think of a  classic song    of their generation  to  recall when they a re  66.

9 comments:

  1. Those dipped cones are my favorite DQ treat too. No DQ nearby though, which is probably just as well : ) Definitely learn the house books! I do all the bookkeeping here, although hubs manages the large investments and retirement account, but we have a planner I can call if I need to understand something there. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave the "books' a try a few years ago and then circumstances changed with my mom and I was into her care and maintaining her affairs and I just gave it up here... now I cant seem to get in the mood... but I "HAVE" to!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing you're right that young people now probably won't be able to recall songs - but that's because new music is so basic and fleeting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our daughter was a teen, it was Dave Mathews Band... and I do think their music was memorable... or it is because we listened to it ALL the time... maybe that is the key!!!! But still, there is nothing like the "Golden Oldies"! HEHEHEEH

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about how there aren't good songs that represent this generation. It seems like a lot of what's on the radio sounds the same. Nothing really stands out anymore. That chocolate covered ice cream cone looks quite tasty! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just dawned on me that the third Thursday is a regular night for DQ because it is on the way from a ministry we attend... and it is pretty hot here this week... goody! DQ, here we come!!!!

      Delete
  4. I totally forgot about that song "Traces" and used to listen to it all the time. Thanks for bringing back the memory. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, for me there were so many songs that Hubs I used to listen to while we parked by the airport. heheh what else was there to do in the late sixties????... I had to ask him what stood out and these two songs were his response.. I had to agree!!!!

      Delete
  5. i just wanted to say, "here here" to the idea of getting rid of some of those boring everyday dishes! use your pretty stuff! :-D

    love you and glad you have this fun outlet for creative writing + sharing.
    -a

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~