Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Wednesday Hodge Podge

Hosted by Joyce!

1. Here we are entering the last month of the year 2020. 2020!! Every year The Oxford English Dictionary publishing team chooses a word that captures the general mood of the year we're leaving behind, or the one word that will leave a lasting impact on the world at large. This year they needed sixteen words in order to cover the whole enchilada. 


While two of the other major dictionaries selected pandemic as their word of the year, Oxford came up with a long list including-bushfire, impeachment, acquittal, coronavirus, COVID-19, lockdown, social distancing, reopening, Black Lives Matter, Cancel Culture, BIPOC, mail-in, belarusian, moonshot, net zero (read more about each word here)

Of the words listed which ONE would you say should be in the number 1 spot? Which word/phrase on this list would you be happy to never hear again? 

So many of the words had such impacts on lives it is hard to choose. I will definitely say that this has been a dramatic year, and most of it  bad!   Mainly, because we see so little resolution or moving toward positive culmination.  The one that I never want to hear again is social distancing. At this time of my life I can feel my age creeping up on me.  Sometimes I wonder how many good years are ahead of me.  So I am particularly eager to make the most of every moment.   

I hate the time I’ve missed being able to be with my small family.  They mean so much to us. 

2. What one word from your own list of words describing this year sums up/best reflects your 2020? Tell us why. My year has been so varied I cannot seem to come up with one summative word.  My first month was taken with knee therapy sessions, then I was laid low with shingles for 6 weeks, then a horrible intestinal infection followed by dehydration then a severe onset of crippling gout.  Then I had an impinged shoulder and was going shoulder therapy sessions through the summer.   All the while missing my dear family, friends , prayer sisters,  no one was meeting, but we sure were zooming! How does one incapsulate that into one word? The year of “YUCK”!

3. Do you like peppermint? Peppermint mocha, a candy cane, peppermint bark, peppermint tea, York Peppermint Pattie, peppermint ice cream...of the peppermint treats listed, which one is your favorite? Will you bake anything featuring peppermint this holiday season? Peppermint is not my favorite herb.  I’d say , “no”.

4. Besides Christmas, what do you associate the color red with? How about the color green?   Red makes me think Valentines, patriotism, and the blood of Jesus. Green is spring and new life!

5. Is your tree up? Real or artificial? Is your house decorated? Is your shopping done? Started? Wrapped? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Scrooge-like and 10 being Buddy the Elf, how's your Christmas spirit? Our artificial tree is up.  When Amanda was little a live tree was crucial, and also if the grands come, but for the two of us artificial suffices.the house is partially decorated, I’ve done  no shopping, and may not,   We decided to not give as many gifts and it seems a gift card kind of year.I have loads of Christmas spirit,  I’ve got one surprise gift box ready to mail to the grands and then another to go the next week.  Just little things to make Christmas special.. activities to keep them occupied!

6. Insert your own random thought here.I am so glad I chose to do Ann Voskamp’s  On-line study.  It helps me focus on what is really important!

13 comments:

  1. This is the first year in 20 that I have had a job and I have to say, personally, I have gone overboard in shopping. Normally we don't spend much because we had my husbands retirement to live on...shameful on how much I have spent. My husband def. had a talking to with me, but he wasn't mad etc...he was like "Lindaaaaaa" (in the tune of Lucy, lol).

    I hope you have a beautiful day, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Linda, I fully remember when I worked it seemed like I was
      buying presents for everybody, especially when Amanda was small and we were going to my grandmothers for Christmas, I bought gifts for all the aunts and the girl cousins. There was something very special about choosing just the right token of love for each beloved one. So I understand you desire for giving. It is more blessed than receiving!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your answers today.
    Glad you have loads of Christmas spirit.
    Have a good Wednesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria, I have always loved Christmas so much. Probably because of all the family traditions and even though it will be just the two of us, I plan to make the most of it and make precious memories we will cherish for years to come.

      Delete
    2. Hi Schotzy:
      I totally agree with this. There are just the two of us also and we plan to make memories too.
      Have a good day.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry that you had such a tough year. I hope that 2021 is a better one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the sweet blessing for a better year. I certainly have high hopes for it ,too. God bless you, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on all the way time speeds up as we get older, and we learn to value it all the more because of that speed. Praying for brighter days, togetherness, and peace in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I am agreeing with in prayer all the way. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. Let's hope that 2021 won't be YUCK. I have to agree with the feeling that time is slipping away and I want to use these precious months and years the best way.
    I stand convicted--yes! Blood of Jesus. I didn't think of that as something red. You are right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are kindred spirits and understand much about the most important things, especially during this season!

      Delete
  7. Well I think Yuck is a very good description for a lot that has gone on this year! Glad you have loads of Christmas spirit!! Happy December to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a sad commentary on a year, and unfortunately, the way things are going I am sort of dreading 2021! I am glad I am close to God through all the uncertainty!

      Delete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~ I am so happy to have my return comments to you restored!

Farewell

 After  17 years of   blogging  I am  pretty sad to  just fade  out  with  hardly  anyone showing any   farewell,  concern  about my  surger...