Hosted by Joyce!
1. What's something about Christmas that most people like, but you don't? Elaborate. More and more it is about the excessive spending on gifts.. Oh, we got into it and bought and bought until it took all afternoon to unwrap and we loved it... but surely, we also missed the true glory of the day. This Christmas has brought that home to me in a very real way.. We definitely have had more time to focus on the reason for the season!
2. Tell us about one cherished tradition from your childhood and if you'll make it happen this year?
That is exactly the word.. or phrase... "make it happen" ! That has been a real downer for me because I have come to realize you can never recreate the same excitement, joy, feeling, of a great Christmas past.. Believe me, Ive tried..Oh, I have enjoyed many awesome Christmases in my younger days but each one was special in its own way...like the one where mom had bought a craft tree skirt and we all gathered around the table to paint the sleigh ride scene.. it took all of our time in the days leading up to Christmas but it was so much fun... all of us working on a common goal full of delight and Christmas cookies! Or the Christmas where we didn't think anyone much was coming up to grandmas because of the snow: for me, I got there before the snow and it was absolutely beautiful... But suddenly there was my Aunt from NC. and her 5 kids with sleds and toboggans and we sleigh rode down through the meadow beside the house all evening .. lit but the full moon and a huge bon fire. It was glorious! Out came steaming cups of cocoa and dry mittens. Try as I might there was no way to recreate the same tone of a Christmas like that... the people, the climate, the food.. too special to be recreated... Just try as we may to make each Christmas memorable in its own way!
3. In 1941 FDR declared December 15th Bill of Rights Day. Citizens were encouraged to fly the flag and gather for prayers and other ceremonies as appropriate. Did you know this? Will you fly a flag? Can you name all the rights and protections guaranteed in the first ten amendments of the US Constitution? Of the ten, which two do you value most? If you need a list you'll find one here.
I've been retired from teaching now for 18 years and I used to go over the ten rights but can't remember them all, but like our host, Joyce, my favorite would have to be freedom of religion ( not freedom from religion like many of like it to say) and freedom of speech both of these have become hot topics in our democratic form of government...
I agree with Joyce, that these and our press have been or are being diminished in a shocking way... a matter for huge intercession!!
4. Do you know someone named Bill? Tell us something about him? Is there a famous 'Bill' you'd like to meet?
I have several Bills who are near and dear to my heart both in my family and out.. the most famous Bill I know of is probably Bill Clinton, not that I would say I particularly liked him, but I did see him in person when our daughter sang at the lighting of the White House Christmas tree when she was 10!
5. A step in the right direction, on the right track, bragging rights, be in the right place at the right time, get off on the right foot, right as rain, right side up, give your right arm for, have one's heart in the right place...choose a 'right' that applies to your life in some way in recent days and tell us how it's so.
I would have to say it would be bragging rights... with granddaughters like mine, I can't help myself. To say anything about them sounds like bragging!
This first grader got her first French spelling test back with an A+ /100Another beauty, a preschooler, an almost 5 year old, got to celebrate at school today , her December birthday.... She is the teacher's right hand helper after school every day!

6. Insert your own random thought here.
I cannot believe that we just had our last prayer zoom meeting of the year 2020 this evening.. So good to see the year come to a close.. now only if I had the will to hope that 2021 will be any better! I pray so!
I enjoyed reading your answers, especially about the Christmas memories. Those are some great ones that I know you'd love to recreate if you could, but perhaps more happy memorable Christmases are still in the future for you and for all of us. Your granddaughters are so cute and sounds like they are very smart too! What a blessing they must be to all of your family!! Yes, it's ok for Grandma's to brag about their grandkids. And I agree with your thoughts about the Bill of Rights, etc. We are losing too many of our hard fought for rights and we'd better pay attention before it is too late. Praying with you regarding a better 2021. We just have to stay focused on the Lord and trust Him, because we sure can't trust the government or the press! 'nuff said. Merry Christmas and God bless you and yours always.
ReplyDelete