Friday, March 7, 2014

What's on The Menu for My Book Chat Tea?

My Book chat tea is coming up in a couple of weeks..
We are   at this time still reading our book,  Holy Fire, by RT Kendall.  What  an  awesome book... just the  kind of literary piece  that   C S Lewis  would have  loved to  digest  and   stew over  with his  contemporaries over  tea and   delights.



Hence, my  theme for this  party.... 
  recreating  the ambiance  of  an English tea room,  or study.... in keeping with the   English theme, I discovered the  most delightful site online.. 
English Larder...This Suffolk, UK  based  baker  provides  a gorgeous    tea  fit of the royals....  but   I   think  this   is  a bit too  gracious to  my  event....  so I kept  searching...and ran across this wonderful site..
All Dishes    from the UK
and I began working up  my    menu.


I am  really   a huge fan of  marmalade, and  found  the most interesting article on   it here.I   have always associated it with  Britain,  and  truth to tell, Britain has played a great role in its popularity.  So  when I found this recipe,  it became  the  anchor of my menu.For savories,  I have included Benedictine  finger sandwiches as seen here...  truly a gentleman's idea of  a true  tea sandwich..heheheheh.
But   to finish  off this    post  I will share  about  the  Cinnamon Chip  Scones....   
which I  practiced making  this morning...

Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
Ingredients
3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup buttermilk
1 package (10 ounces) cinnamon baking chips
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions
In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder,
baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in chips.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10-12 times or
until dough is no longer sticky. Divide in half; gently pat or roll
each portion into a 7-in. circle. Brush with butter and sprinkle
with remaining sugar.
Cut each circle into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on an
ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10-13 minutes or until
lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 16 wedges.  
paired with a  delicious  cup of Orange Spice tea,  these scones are  perfect for  the  cold snowy day
as seen from  my front window this morning.






 These scones are  very ample in size  so even though the  recipe  originally  said  cut the  disks in 6 pieces, Im glad I cut them into  eighths!



Served up on my newly found   Lochs of Scotland  dessert plate by  Royal Warwick..
the  tea   tasted  marvelous  from  my Wedgewood  Romantic Collection,  Willy Lotte's Cottage  tea cup.
Next week,  I will be giving the cake a try!  Please  check back!
I am  sharing on 




The Charm of Home


Seasonal Sundays..

10 comments:

  1. I love having the edibles carry out the theme of the book. Good for you for taking the time tie them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun you are going to have at your book chat tea ... even the "eats" match the book! I love blue and white and your Wedgewood is lovely. Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a marvelous tea you are preparing for! The menu sounds wonderful and I too just love marmalade. I enjoy it every moring on my toast. Your blue and white is beautiful and thank you for sharing this with us as well as joining me for tea.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous view! Such a pretty room! It looks like an English study.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I were able to attend! Soounds marvelous! I love your menu...lots of things my English family like! The scones look wonderful! And blue and white transferware is perfect! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your green background and your blue transferware is so pretty. Have a great St Paddy's day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy menu and the marmalade sponge cake is something I would like. I knew there had to be other uses for it besides on toast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those scones look so good and the plate they are on so pretty! I like marmalade, too! Thanks for the recipe!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very pretty tea. I have some of the Lochs of Scotland. It is a very nice pattern.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dessert plate and cinnamon chip scones sound absolutely divine! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~