
A day trip from our daughter's near Boston to Newport is a thrilling excursion for a landlubber like me....even a long bridge will just about do me in..... but, in 2011 the kids took me on a day I'll never forget and enjoyed so very much!
From Providence we took Rt138 and crossed the Claiborne Newport toll bridge....
and I was totally fine.... I only gasped a couple of times! But I knew my son-in-law was a marvelous driver and it was truly an amazing day!
The kids told me the only way to see Newport, known for its fabulous summer mansions of the rich and famous was by sea... so we were soon on board our boat and ready to set out!
It was exhilarating!
The harbor was a never ending maze of every kind of vessel, from fishing boat to awesome yacht...
every size and shape imaginable.... and it was such a glorious day the slips were writhing with activity...
The bay w as dotted with sailing masts... and there in the distance you can see an awesome triple mast of the largest sailing vessel ever built... the Maltese Falcon ....
as our vessel slipped past her it was evident just how very huge she is....
I cant imagine how majestic she would be asea under full sail
I borrowed this photo here to just show her beauty
Looking back at the harbor shows just as was explained how lovely Newport is....
but now for the coastal vistas... I give you the Newport mansions...
with names like
The Breakers, Chateau-sur-Mer, The Elms, Marble House, Rosecliff, Green Animals & Kingscote
owned by such powerhouses, as Vanderbilt,Oelrichs, Gallatin, and Bouvier..

to name just a few
(Jackie's childhood home)
next time around I want to take the inside tours..... awesome!
Back ashore we had so many fine restaurants from which to choose...
The Mooring really took our fancy...

a lovely dockside setting as the sun begins to set.....
We couldnt resist the bag of doughnuts. ...Lobster, crab & shrimp fritters with chipotle-maple aioli 12 fabulous... we each wished we'd had own own bag.....
Fried Atlantic blue cod, Guinness batter, spiced fries,
red pepper slaw, Mooring tartar sauce 19
Eating dockside with the lapping of the water was the perfect end of an awesome day on the water for me!

with names like
The Breakers, Chateau-sur-Mer, The Elms, Marble House, Rosecliff, Green Animals & Kingscote
owned by such powerhouses, as Vanderbilt,Oelrichs, Gallatin, and Bouvier..

to name just a few
(Jackie's childhood home)
next time around I want to take the inside tours..... awesome!
Back ashore we had so many fine restaurants from which to choose...
The Mooring really took our fancy...
a lovely dockside setting as the sun begins to set.....
We couldnt resist the bag of doughnuts. ...Lobster, crab & shrimp fritters with chipotle-maple aioli 12 fabulous... we each wished we'd had own own bag.....
I opted for the Fish N Chips...
Fried Atlantic blue cod, Guinness batter, spiced fries,
red pepper slaw, Mooring tartar sauce 19
Eating dockside with the lapping of the water was the perfect end of an awesome day on the water for me!
Return to the Tablescaper here!



















Newport s such a fun place to visit. Last time there, we were on our boat. We were probably the smallest there, but it didn't keep us from enjoying the adventure!
ReplyDeleteI loved the tour of the Newport mansions!
ReplyDeleteWhat a luxurious place, the Bouvier home is ofcourse gorgeous. I can imagine Jackie living there--such a CLASSY woman. The largest vessel must be something to see in person. Sea food is one of my favorites and I love the water--a place to add to my list.
ReplyDeleteAnn
I have a good friend who lives just across the bay from Newport, so I've had the pleasure of going to Newport when I visit her. It's a beautiful spot. Love to stroll the Cliff Walk, shop the quaint stores, and of course, enjoy the seafood. Thanks for taking us along. ~ Sarah
ReplyDelete