Click the icon to return to Joyce's page!
1. February ended with an extra 24 hours in 2016. What did you do with your bonus day?
Unfortunately we spent the day at the doctor's office... I had allergy testing and then Hubs had an appointment because I fear I have given him some kind of virus infection I had last week... Poor fellow, he doesn't do sickness at all well..
2. What's something in your life that's grown by leaps and bounds in recent days, weeks, months, or years? I'm giving you lots of room to come up with an answer here, so no fair passing on this one.
For me the most noticeable way I have grown in recent years is in my confidence in the Lord... I must say that I was a very timid child and young adult. I even made my life's work teaching children in part because I was intimidated with working with adults. IN college I shifted direction from a career I really wanted to do in interior design because of my insecurities. Praise God over the years my faith has grown along with my understanding of the work of the Holy Spirit in my life. I have learned that there is nothing in me that is able to do anything of lasting value, but when I trust completely in God's leading and His spirit alive in me I can do all things... I also credit the internet in giving me non-threatening opportunities to share the gospel with "friends" I meet in various venues..I can say that I have had a positive impact on several people I've met and I have built my confidence in "talking" on spiritual issues through blogging.. which has developed into positive face to face encounters... Now I really enjoy my social interactions with both men and women and I am not timid at all about drawing others into conversations and new topics.. This has also had a very positive impact on my husband who like me was very retiring and non committal in social engagements... but now he is the president of our Sunday School class, sings in the choir, and heads up an important committee in our large church.. But we both give God and His precious Spirit full credit for changing and growing us!!
3. Do you read reviews about a film before deciding if you'll see it? Did you watch The Oscars this year, and if so your thoughts on the program? How many of the Best Picture nominees had you seen prior to the broadcast? (Spotlight, The Martian, The Big Short, The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, Room, and Brooklyn) If you watched The Oscars who gets your award for 'best dressed'?
We only saw one film in the theater this past year and that was Warroom which we absolutely loved... Doubt it was mentioned at the Oscars.. We don't follow Hollywood... we do enjoy having netflix and we are about 3 or more years behind the current season of shows and films.
4. When did you last have overnight houseguests? Give us your
top three tips on being a good houseguest.
Wow, it has been sometime since we had anyone overnight except our children. But I believe a good house guest should
1. bring a token gift to the host,, flowers or even a box of candy or a bottle of wine.
2. offer to help in the kitchen or other tasks hoping not be treated any more special that a family member
3. leave the house in good order... either make up the bed or strip it before you leave after asking which the hostess would prefer
5. March 2nd is Peanut Butter Lover's Day. Will you be celebrating? If so, would you prefer a home made peanut butter cookie, a Reese's peanut butter cup, an old fashioned peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or shall I just hand you a jar and a tablespoon?
Gee, each of those ideas sound scrummy to me... I just bought some natural peanut butter which is the kind we will only use, and a new jar of cherry preserves, so a PBJ sounds most likely!!
6. Why is failure important? Or isn't it?
Failure or trial or whatever you want to call it is hugely important.. James, the brother of Christ said it well... James 1:2-8 Trials and Temptations
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
7. Share with us one fun thing on your March calendar.
This coming Friday, March 4th will be fun... We get together with Hubs' cousins once a month to dine out... and we really enjoy this time of fellowship because we went for years disconnected and have only really found each other in the past year. I believe it has to do with life in retirement.. it gives us a very different outlook and perspective and old grievances or whatever may have been at work dissipate... thankfully we can truly just enjoy each other! Then later that evening The Desolation of Smaug comes on TNT and I just got to see The Hobbit last week... I am terribly interested in following up on this trilogy, and I really look forward to the discourse between Smaug and the Hobbit.. between Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.. (my 2 new favorite duo from the "Sherlock" series!!!!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I was reading Joyce's post from yesterday on the climate in America.. it seems so many people have lost their moral compass.. I sometmes think I have been living in a vaccuum because I just don't get how far America has slidden down the slippery slope we are on..I realize there were many things wrong with the America in which I was raised but now I realize that the most important thing that was changing was so subtle and behind the scenes it is no wonder many missed it... and then now here we are facing what I believe is the most critical election we have ever faced before with no clear candidate out there to cast our vote on because the dilemma is two fold it has to be someone who can take down a a running mate who has I fear if he gets the nomination he will be a super easy mark for the opposing team to take down because of the scandal that follows him, and so deciding which other candidate has the capacity to take that one out and 2. actually win the election.. because if we don't win this election... we will be so far gone toward socialism there will be no return. And Socialism is synonomous with Communism and Lord help us to know what to do as a nation today Super Tuesday at the ballot box.... and never let it be said that anyone would actully say I give up and I'm not going to vote..... America needs everyone to honor their first privelege of citizenship... America needs your thought and moral vote!!!