Tuesday, January 31, 2017

End of January Hodge Podge




Click the icon to return to Joyce's page.



1. Can you believe it's the end of January? What was the best day of January 2017 for you, and why?
I believe it was Inauguration Day...  I know I looked forward to it  a long time and  I  enjoyed the patriotism it evoked...  I loved the parade!!!

            
                  
                               
                                
                               

2. What sounds make up the background noise in your life?
Unfortunately, for me, it is  Hubs radio  on  talk radio.. when we  updated our kitchen  we moved my computer to one corner of the kitchen and  hubs keeps this radio on 24/7.. not kidding.. all the time  ....on talk radio.      

3. I read on the Power of Positivity website a list of ten things to drop from your life right now. They are-

anger outbursts, people who put you down, regret, negative self talk, being a people pleaser, the notion you need to be perfect, the past (but keep the lessons learned!), gossip and judgment, comparing yourself to others, and the word hate (focus on what you love instead)

Which thing on the list do you most need to drop? Are you trying or will you try?

Well, since I do have  talk radio on drumming  the rhetoric and the  hue and cry in my ear all day,, I would have to say  it would be anger outbursts..  So many things about  our  "politically correct",    "tolerant"  and   divisive  society    can really  get my craw....  I will find myself  beginning to seethe  and    my  angst begin to  boil....  I  really  don't need this..  I'm  a conservative 66 year old retired school teacher...  I'd much rather  be    devoting myself to  pleasantries and planning  visits with my family...  but  it is what it is.... when we made this move for me to the kitchen I  had no idea  how my  environs  would affect  my  emotions!!
Image result for talk radio

4. What is sacred to you?
The Word of God  and knowing Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord!
Time  spent  in His presence...I  do not like to be disturbed and  really  enjoy my privacy  during those times...I enjoy  singing, praying and  talking to Him  aloud!!!

5. January is National Oatmeal month. Are you a fan, and if so how do you like it?
I love oatmeal....  but I must have it sweetened and fruited...  for
example, I really like those individual packets  that are  cinnamon apple with  non sugar sweeteners...  to which I add  hot milk and  raisins...  I , also,  love cooking with oatmeal .... cakes,  crisps,  cookies... etc.
537376

6. What feelings does twilight stir up in you?
I love twilight...  it  takes me back to my youth  when  we kids  were outside playing until  almost  dark... I had  a lovely  unobstructed view of the sunset...  and I  loved  watching the evening star  come out....  That  violet  color of the sky at  twilight  when the  rosiness of the  fading sunlight  melts into  velvety night  is one of the most  gorgeous sights I can recall.. I don't know if it is the innocence of  an unaffected life    when all I did was  play and enjoy  every  gift God gave us in his world, but  the idea of  coming night  was  so sweet because it meant  cosy hours  with family gathered   around sharing  experiences of their day... over time  with age and  experiences  of  the impact of  evil in our world.. nightfall  has lost a bit of its charm for me... for example, now I don't like to go out after dark alone...  sad  to  say,,, where we live now,,  we can not see the glory of a blazing sunset  and  the  wonder of twilight is lost to me.

7. Something you're looking forward to next month?
I love Valentine's Day...  Hubs always  treats me so well.. He is a great sweetheart!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
This morning  I will be leaving soon to go to church to lead  a small group  in our Women's  Bible study... I  do look forward to  the,  for lack of  a better word, the demand   it puts on me to  really  dig  into the Word and  listen more carefully  to what the Spirit has  for me to share...I always  come away  from  these  weeks set aside  for  intensive study  with a  deeper love and  understanding...This study, Finding the I Am..  holds great promise!!

8 comments:

  1. Great Hodgepodge post - those cookies look amazing! Singing, praying and talking to Him will get every day off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking when I pout that photo up of the cookies it was time to bake some more!! THanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Twilight in your childhood sounds nice. I always liked it unless my parents were gone and then I dreaded the coming darkness. I hope you have a wonderful Bible study this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say, that study my Lysa Kerteurt promises to be awesome... Finding the I Am ... knowing Jesus in His fullness and experiencing Him in fullness of life... I am very excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I'm visiting from The Hodgepodge, today.
    I used to listen to talk radio, a few years ago, but finally came to the conclusion it was affecting my mental and physical health. I no longer listen to it nor do I watch the news, and I feel much better :) Listening to music (or nothing at all) is much better on the nerves.
    I loved reading your feelings about twilight...then I got down to the part where you can no longer see the sunsets from where you live. Yes, that's the situation I'm in, too...

    I hope you have a great Women's Bible study. I'm all for a "deeper love and understanding" of the Word.

    Have a great week,
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Kathy, we have lived here in this home for 30 years but are getting all spruced up now to put it on the market as we downsize. and primarily go onto one level.. but I ahe 2 priorities in a new home...! a great master bath... every bathroom in every home we ahve owned has been small and not too great... hahaha.. and a clear western exposure but preferably not at the back of the house... I dont want the afternoon sun blazing in but I ahve to be able to enjoy God's pallette~~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you should get some good headphones. No way could I listen to talk radio all day long. My hubs listened more, mostly when he commuted, but he grew weary of it too and I have to say is less wound up at the end of the day : ) Hope you have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TOTALLY AGREE WITH KATHY AND JOYCE!!!!!!! Just turn it down or turn it off. He can turn it up, if he's working in there, or better yet, you can get him a nice set of wireless headphones that he can pair w/ his smartphone. Too many solutions to this days old problem. It totally affects your emotions, disposition, mindset, and day! Dad is unique in that he can take it with a grain of salt and remain less emotionally involved with what he hears. Women, especially, have more difficulty doing that, in my opinion. We get emotionally invested and then WASTE time worrying and fretting.

    Jesus says, "do not be anxious about tomorrow". Part of that means not engaging in material that will entice you to break that command. It is a command, and we ought to do our darndest to obey it!

    I love you!
    a

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~