Monday, January 16, 2017

The Simple Woman Day Book


For Today..January 16, 2017
Outside my window... 
dark and drear,  but mild

I am thinking... 
is this the week I will call and  try to  reschedule one of my postponed dinner parties....  need to start working on Hubs...  He is  his own projects  in mind and may be unshakable.
Image result for dinner party invitations

I am thankful... 
for the relative good news  that the  UN Council meeting  over the weekend did not produce  its objective..  to form a 2 nation state in Israel  actually removing  Israel from Jerusalem and  all parts  that  were give to them by  God.
  
I am wearing...
my my  navy day dress and navy sweater!!!

I am creating...
an attitude within me   that if I'm really going to get  what needs to be done around here  I need to get rid of about 1/2 of what we have.  


I am wondering..
if I can  really just  pack away  as much as I need to  to take to  the Salvation Army....  It is going to take  a lot more than,  until now, I thought I could muster... from closets.... basement.... and  bookshelves...
down-sizing is not easy for a hoarder....  I never thought of myself as one  until I  consider  the size of  patio homes in ratio  to what we have to store away...  the key word..  "stored away....  question...  Why am I keeping it??????



I am reading:: 




Book of Judges for Sunday School
Jesus Calling Devotional 




One Year Devotional, Walk with God 


A Thorn in my Heart, by Liz Curtis Higgs



I am listening to....
lovely lyrical Celtic music on Pandora

I am learning...
to try to  hold loosely to things of this earth



I am hoping..
to tackle my  lingerie, scarf, and sock chest today and  clear up at least one  whole drawer  by  ridding myself of enough socks and scarves to combine them.

In my garden... 
all is  brown and  sodden  from the recent rain...no plans for the gardening this week.

In my kitchen...
One of my Christmas presents was  a Lodge  Dutch Oven so I am  researching some great  recipes for which  to use it...
Yummy Pot Roast


Pot Roast with Vegetables

Ingredients
1 (3 to 4 pound) piece beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
2 yellow onion, halved
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bunch baby carrots
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 cup button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced in half
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves

Directions

Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot that has a tight cover; heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat. Brown the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside. Pour in the tomatoes and the water. Scatter the vegetables and herbs around the pot roast, season with salt and pepper; and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Braise for about 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes with the pan juices, until the beef is fork tender.
Slice the pot roast and arrange on platter surrounded by the vegetables. Serve with the pot juices.
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence


A favorite quote/scripture for today..
Image result for ephesians 1:18-19

One of my favorite things...
Slow Cooker Chili  from Betty Crocker



Slow-Cooker Family-Favorite Chili
Ingredients

2lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2cloves garlic, finely chopped
1can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1can (16 oz) chili beans in sauce, undrained
1can (15 oz) tomato sauce
2tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
1/2teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon pepper

In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion and remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.


This recipe inspires me to  create a Chili party  as my up-coming rescheduled dinner party.

Board Room


A Moment in my day.....

Enjoying seeing  our precious  Love Bug  enjoy her  birthday present we sent her in the mail!!!
Postscript
Image result for quote on joy


4 comments:

  1. I so need to get rid of about half of my house, but just to get started. I loved your pictures and will be trying your roast recipe, it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat. Thanks for the comment.. I tired to find your blog, but alas I coujldnt. but I want to challenge you.. tomorrow I am going to work on my lingerie chest. It is so full I can barely close the drawers. I have a kazillion scarves I never wear.. I am getting rid of half o fthem
      in anonther drawer I ahve zillions of mismatched socks.. If I can pair them up. they are out of there.. then I will combine scarves and socks and have a free drawer... Then I can get some tops folder and off the guest room bed.. I am so bad... come on let's get rid of socks and scarves or whatever you are drowning in.

      Delete
  2. The roast and chili both look delicious! I'll have to try both recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the minimalists! Decluttering is so hard!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~