Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Wednesday Hodge Podge


From this Side of the Pond

Click here to return to Joyce's page!
1. When was the last time you chatted with a neighbor? About what? (sharing that last bit is optional)
About 2 weeks ago....  a  new young couple moved in a few doors  up  the hill  and  he happened  to  stop by to ask us about where we  went to church..  We told him about our church and  think he went that next Sunday. Unfortunately, his wife works on Sunday,,,  I haven't had an opportunity  to see how he liked it...  We need to follow-up!

2. River, lake, ocean, or waterfall...which one are you most like and why?
Now that I'm retired  I  am  probably most like  a  slow moving river  that  is  lazy and  meandering...  but  once  riled  can  become a raging torrent...  you ask  what  might  rile me...  lately, it can be too much politics...  I'm trying to wean myself off of it!!!
Image result for the new riverRelated image
3. July 13 is National Delaware Day. Ever been to Delaware? Delaware is called 'the first state' because it was the first to declare independence from the British. What's your state's nickname and does that moniker make sense to you? If you were in charge, what nickname would you give your home state?
We went through Delaware  when our  daughter   was  6. We were on our way to Lewes to take the ferry  across the bay to   Cape May...
Image result for cape may bed and breakfasts
What a gorgeous  place...  have always wanted to return..  and stay in one of their  magnificent  Victorian b and b's!...
 Living in Virginia, our nickname is Old Dominion....  and I  love that nickname... very ap-propriate.. as we  are the Mother of States, and Mother of Presidents!  Another nickname is  Virginia is for Lovers...
Image result for virginia is for lovers
  this name came into being  when I was a teenager  so  it always  struck me  as  really cool... romantic... and  made  Virginia sound like  a place on everyone's bucket list... to find true love...  and that is  exactly how I feel about our fair state.  If I were   in charge  I might change the nickname to the  Land of True Love!  heheheh!

4. What dish did you contribute to the last pot luck meal you attended? Do you have a go-to recipe for pot luck suppers?
I usually take baked beans  to pot lucks... Here is the recipe.  I prefer  Bush's Country Style beans.

5. What is your number one tip for a brand new parent?  As a teacher and  parent  of one  wonderful daughter  who now has  two toddlers of her own... I always stress and  she  knows this very well on her own... the parent must  be  Consistent...As  precious as every  baby and  toddler is,,  they were still born into a sinful world and they,  too, have their own sin nature.  They learn early how to manipulate, and  they  really  do    want to know  what the  parameters and limits are..  so they push them...consistency with love  is  my #1 tip!!!.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm still reveling from  our  weekend    trip to celebrate  my 30th anniversary of my 37th birthday... Hubs took me to   Abingdon, Virginia, very close to the TN  border.  Abingdon is a charming Victorian town... home to  the Martha Washington Inn 
Image result for martha washington Inn

and the Barter Theater... 
Image result for the cottage barter theater
 Many    great  actors of the Golden age got their start here...like  Gregory Peck!!
Atticus Finch
Image result for barter theater  gregory peck
 We  arrived  Saturday  around 1pm  just in time to check in to the Inn and   walk over to the Barter for the  2:00 matinee.  Our  play was a comedy,  The Cottage.... Image result for the cottage barter theater 

  this play is scheduled for   Broadway in 2018...  and I predict it will be a hit...  Very  uproarious.. yet set in  the  English  Countryside of the 1930's.  I absolutely loved the set!!

Image result for the cottage barter theater
Back at the Inn  which is  right across the street,   it was like stepping back in  time to  a much more  genteel  attitude.  so  serene and  lusciously comfortable!
  The veranda  was pure delight!!
 Cosy nooks  for relaxing  all around the property!

Much of the decor from a by-gone era!

Dining  was    sublime!!!







 Even Hubs  got into the dapper  attitude  in the Inn library!!


All too soon it was  time to say  goodbye!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip, I love the photos of the Inn and the play. looks like a fun trip!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, we drove north up the coast to get to NY and we'd always stop at a rest area in Virginia right before going up into the mountains. I had a huge collection of "Virginia is for Lovers" bumper stickers!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~