Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Random Dozen




November 11, 2009
Random Dozen :: November 11
It's a dreary Tuesday and I'm just in a pensive mood. So I thought I play along with this Random Dozen thingy!
1. What was the last song you listened to?

Well, I've been listening to my new cd I purchased at the Renewanation dinner.. The entertainment that evening was provided by Richard Kiser and his classical acoustic guitar. Fabulous... so I bought his Christmas cd.. I think it was Silent Night.

2. Have you ever had “buyer’s remorse” over anything? Oh, yes... I am a real sucker for buying cd's following church and other local events.. I want to keep the memory alive I suppose... but I have many a cd in my collection that just dont quite measure up to the actual event.... I guess the live experience adds more excitement and wonder to it all than you'd think. Thankfully, the above mentioned cd does not fit this category... it is wonderful!!


3. What is something in your life that you are thankful for now that you didn’t think you would be at the time of the event? (Something that seemed ill-timed, inconvenient or hurtful which turned out to be a good thing) When we left our previous church it was with very bittersweet motivations.. It is so difficult to leave a church family... but you just know when the time has come to make the move,
even as difficult as it is.... we actually should have made the move much, much sooner. It has made the greatest difference in our lives as a couple;... glory to God!!!!



4. Do you watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade every year? If so, do you have a favorite float or balloon? I guess it has been 20 years since I actually sat down to watch it... too busy in the kitchen! I do remember watching for Santa though, of course!

5. Share a quote, scripture, poem or lyric which has been an inspiration to you lately.
On Eagle's Wings
You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord,
Who abide in His shadow for life,
Say to the Lord, "My Refuge,
My Rock in Whom I trust."

Refrain
And He will raise you up on eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of His Hand.
The snare of the fowler will never capture you,
And famine will bring you no fear;
Under His Wings your refuge,
His faithfulness your shield.


Refrain
And He will raise you up on eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of His Hand.
You need not fear the terror of the night,
Nor the arrow that flies by day,
Though thousands fall about you,
Near you it shall not come.


Refrain
And He will raise you up on eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of His Hand.
For to His angels He's given a command,
To guard you in all of your ways,
Upon their hands they will bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.


Refrain
And He will raise you up on eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of His Hand.
And hold you in the palm of His Hand.



6. This is meant to be a fun question, and this is a G-rated blog, but please share a “guilty pleasure,” something that you enjoy that’s probably not the most edifying, time-worthy or healthy thing you could be indulging in. Did I mention this blog is rated G? I do spend an inordinate amount of time on Facebook! AAACK! Ok... I am a little addicted to Farmtown.


7. What Thanksgiving food are you looking forward to? Since this is the first time in 59 years that I am doing the whole meal on my own.... I am looking forward mainly to learning how to make the dressing.... if my mom ever writes down the recipe!!!


8. What is your favorite book to read to children, or what was your favorite childhood book? I loved reading Fantastic Mr. Fox to Amanda... "Will there be dogs?!!!"


9. Do you collect anything? (Feel free to post a photo.) I love angels

Photobucket


10. Gift bags or wrapping paper? I love to use both. I enjoy wrapping up my parcels with real ribbons and tying lovely bows, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of a nice gift bag as well!


11. Share an after-school memory from when you were younger. What was your routine like on an average day?

I lived nine blocks from my school. The walk home was up and down hills with few sidewalks. I remember especially when it rained wearing my galoshes and tramping through some gullies along one trek of the routine. On nice days I'd stop in at Wills Store for some penny candy if I was fortunate enough to have a penny. I liked to buy those wax lips of all things! Bleh! I walked to my neighbor's house across the street who watched me after school. I loved elementary school. Our school was quite old when I started in 1956. Each class had a cloak room. Man, did we ever think it was fun fooling around in there getting ready to go home in the afternoon. I remember wearing woolen leggings in first grade... what a pain to put on in there. And we wore cotton dresses or skirts with suspenders... if we didn't wear suspenders they'd fall down off of us. Yikes!

12. True story: This reminds me of living near a Mr. Moe's hamburger joint. When I was about 13 and I'd come home from school hungry, so I'd raid my dad's drawer for 19 cents and run down to Mr. Moe's for a hamburger. Now I realize that I was raiding his coin collection !! Triple yikes!!

Click on 2Nd Cup of Coffee for more Random-ness!

3 comments:

  1. Mummy!!! Did you see they've made a Fantastic Mr.Fox movie? I think it comes out over Thanksgiving, so maybe it'll still be in theaters over Christmas! Too cute! :)

    Love you,
    a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grat post Schotzy. Loved all these things about you and I adore angels too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering how you were doing yesterday. I was thinking about Amanda being so far north and wondering how the holidays will be for you this year. I liked your random dozen. I can't believe you were able to get a hamburger for 19 cents!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~