Saturday, August 14, 2010

Journey to Boston part 3

I can definitely recommend a stop over at least for a bathroom break at the Woodbury Commons..... what drew my attention was the Brighton Outlet store where everything is anywhere from 30-50% off.... ok,,, that has become my weakness lately.... and Lynn did pick out a lovely pendant heart necklace for Amanda's 25th birthday as well.... then we were right back on the interstate heading for I84 which would take us east across the Newburgh bridge over the Hudson River.... now last year I am ashamed to confess that I was rather horrifed about this dilemma.... and I will say right up front its not the bridge so much as its my imagination of what could happen as we drive across these edifices.... last year I actually had to call my prayer partner and talk to her as we approached and drove over the bridge...somehow it helped to share what I was feeling throughout the experience.... you might wonder why her, and not my husband... the driver... but he is a bridge engineer who is always just simply enthralled with every aspect of bridges and has no concept of my irrational thinking.... but this year I was much better and actually took some pictures in transit...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
A 2 span cantilever bridge spanning 7,855 feet it is very elevated making the huge river below seem rather insignicant until one really considers its length and breadth!!

I always used to think of Connecticutt as a very quaint, beautifully peaceful , pastorale suburb of NYC.... but last year and this last week contiunues to prove me wrong ..... the traffic and road conditions in Connecticutt are hideous.... Lucy and Ricky may have enjoyed the peaceful serenity of New Haven and Mr Blandings might have built his dream house there, but I84 is a complete headache and whether youre driving or navigating one is a complete bundle of nerves as one leaves the state behind... last year what should have taken about an hour and a half of driving the 98 miles of Interstate took about 3 hours dues to the stop and go traffic patterns...
Photobucket
Assylum Street caught my eye... once you reach Hartford you are just about ready for a visit there.
This year we learned how to bypass Hartford and even though the traffic was still horrendous on a Friday afternoon the trek was more timely and we were only partly demented as we finally reached Massachusetts!
By the wonders of technology and our GPS we were able to drive right up to Amanda and Joshua's home...
Photobucket
Amanda, ever the gracious hostess had planned a gourmet meal for our first evening... Joshua , a master at the grill, barbecue delicious citrusy herbed chicken while Amanda created her scrumptious fresh corn and veggie salad and savory savoy slaw, fresh out of her garden herbed tomatoes on on toasted crostini...yum!
Photobucket
Photobucket
That evening everyone unwound by watching one of my favorite films , Leap Year, which Amanda hadnt seen and the guys, well, they endured another chic flick but in this case Mom and daughter rule... you know what I mean!?! Besides we needed a low key nihgt because tomorrow was going to be a full day for sure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~