Saturday, August 14, 2010

Journey to Boston part 6

As the day dawned we knew it would be another swelteringly hot and humid one... but we were not swayed or dismayed.... we were on a road trip adventure someplace where not one of us had ever gone before.... to Cape Cod.....
Now everyone has their own ideas of what the Cape is like... my own ideas are very romanitized from old movies and picture post cards....depicting the allure of quaint New England cottages festooned in weathered shingles and sporting roses on their lintels.... well, I was right...almost..
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Another thing I told the kids that I must see was at least one lighthouse....
and I saw two....
Photobucket
the first one was the Chatham lighthouse... which was a great thing, because while we were looking for the lighthouse we found a great stretch of beach that was public and we didnt have to pay an astronomical fee to park the car!!!
So yes, we expected to see beaches and finally we did in Chatham... ohn there were beaches all along the coast but they were private and inaccessible.
We did enjoy our public one... the kids actually got their feet wet!!!
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Uh, watch out there.. yeah, you best hang on to each other... we dont want any untoward accidents!!!
I was really captivated by another sight I had hoped to see... sailing ships because I had always read Moby Dick to my classes each year and even if I couldnt get to Nantucket I hoped to see a sailing ship... well I saw several...
PhotobucketPhotobucket
All shapes and sizes!
Photobucket
and some near and far.. like this one near Martha's Vinyard!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
and there were other vessels of many kinds...
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Ah let's follow that one... it might be dinner!!!
Photobucket
Yes, I expected there'd be food!
We found lunch at the Aqua Grille... a lovely open air restaurant on a marina...offering everything you could want in the seafood line...
PhotobucketPhotobucket
How about lobster sliders?
Photobucket


Now Amanda had another surprise up her sleeve about dinner.... I had never really considered the possibility... I mean every year of my last several years when I taught my fourth graders from their weekly readers there would be at least one article all about Alvin I and Alvin II....
robotic submarines used for research by the scientific teams from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.. located at the southern tip of Cape Cod....it was actually these robots that photographed the inside of the sunken Titanic which popularized the event so much and led to making of the film... and Woods Hole was the site of our other lighthouse and seascoast village hosting our dinner!!
Arriving right before sunset the sun cast its rosy glow!

Photobucket
Another wide expanse of public beach offered up its crisp clear seafaring views....
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
and Woods Hole provided just the quaint New England seaside village we'd been seeking...
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
and docked along side the other vessels was a research ship from the Institute!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
and our final treat of the day.. dinner at the Monger

PhotobucketPhotobucket

my choice??
my favorite....
Photobucket

seated by the window we watched the fog roll in while we waited to be served... just like an old movie, the fog horns blaring and ship's bells clanking in the distance... the perfect accompaniment for my
Photobucket
fried sea scallops!!!! Yummy!
And then it was time to sail back home to Amanda's for our wonderful visit would soon be over... but there was always the lovely ride back to Roanoke!!

2 comments:

  1. These pictures are so wonderful-I feel like I've been there with you-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,,I have feel in love with your blog Sweetie..Just Awesome and sooo blessed by God.. Love the scripture you have shared all over it too. I am Blessed to have been here. Sorry for the late reply we had went shopping for the rest of the boys school things last minute and my hopes to be back early were dashed...Please forgive me... :0)
    Blessings and Hugs Dena

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~