Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge

Welcome to another edition of
the Wednesday Hodgepodge! 
To return to  Joyce's day click the icon!
Image result for autumn clipart images
1. Thursday (September 22) is the first official day of autumn in this part of the world...how will you welcome the season? I know some of you have been celebrating way too early, but it's official now so permission granted. House Beautiful recently listed ten ways to make your home smell like fall (you can read the list here) What's a scent you love this time of year and how will you add it to your home?

Well, I have already confessed to being an early bird here!But I make no apologies..  I love fall!!!!  The dog days of summer  were depressing!!

But now,  being almost legal...  I  am  so looking forward to the cooler days when I can break out the ginger cookie recipes and  do some  baking...  all those  spicy aromas  of pumpkin pies,   and  cinnamon rolls...because with the cooler weather we feel like walking off the calories!  yayayaya!!!
Before you know it  I will be looking to purchase a bag of scented wintry  pine cones and   winter spice  sachets.
Image result for autumn pumpkin pie images
2. Apple pie or pumpkin pie? Apple cake or pumpkin bread? Warm apple cider or a pumpkin spice latte?  My hubby rules this time of year.. He is a pumpkin pie fanatic..  I have already purchased the ingredients... I  dug through my recipes and found my grandma's apple cake recipe so I'm ready to  attempt that one, as well...never made her recipe before...  I sort of am afraid of destroying  the memory of her exquisite cake ....and I love warm apple cider...  I love to keep a slow cooker  going on special days  scented with a stick of cinnamon!
Image result for autumn clipart images

3. Do you suffer from what is sometimes referred to as an afternoon slump? What helps ward it off before it hits and/or tell us what helps you shake it off once it's here?

If I  lie down for instance to watch my early afternoon  serial.... I confess I still watch DOOL... I sometimes  fall asleep  for  only about 15 minutes....  a power nap really and  I always wake up  rejuvenated and  perky...  it happened today so here I am working on  this!  HEheheeh!
Image result for autumn clipart images
4. Ladies-how have your friend
ships with women inspired you or made you a better person? For the men here today- how have your friendships with men inspired you or made you a better person?
My very best friends  for the last  decade or since I retired  are women of faith... I know from Bible Study or  prayer groups... They inspire me to  keep going... stay the course.... get connected.... keep up with  my godly practises of prayer,  Bible reading, and  study...iron truly does sharpen iron. 
 photo retreatdeck_zps2c8af99d.jpg
We prayer gals on  retreat in 2013!
 photo valentines2012005.jpg
and enjoying  a  Valentine Tea party..
5. Are you a people pleaser? If you said yes, do you think that's a good or bad thing? If you said no, do you wish you were more of a people pleaser? 
I would say I used to be a  people pleaser... I was pretty concerned about my personal image...   what others thought of me... as I have  matured I  have to say I am not so much any more...  for example,  in Bible study groups  when I hear error,  I am  sometimes rather bold in    pointing out the  error...  not  to  embarrass or  cast  someone in a bad light but to make sure that  truth is  highlighted and   made clear...  One example recently  was in a class where a   beginner  was  stating that  seeking  help from a   spiritualist  ( fortune teller)  had helped her to  understand about her mother's death...  A couple of us were  rather  quick to  explain  how  that would  not be the best choice for seeking  information of a spiritual nature.. but rather  seek God  and His Word  for Truth.  I don't think she was particularly happy with our response  because she had felt that  the answers she received were  valid...  but even  powers  of many kinds  can  tempt us with things that sound good!

6. The seasons are a-changin'...share a favorite song relating in some way to change (not necessarily seasonal change, it could be change of any kind).
Well, the first song I thought of was a seasonal song and I will share it because I loved to hear my mother  play it on the piano and sing it .  She loved it so!
7. What do you wish would never change? 
I have to say  that I  wish our country had never changed  to the  extent that it has in the last decade or more.... In my humble opinion it just appears that  an agenda has  overtaken  our society and  brought with it degradation, poverty, immorality, and peril, and  uncertainty...if only we as a nation could reclaim that which has been lost  and  return  to one nation under God!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Image result for fall is coming


5 comments:

  1. I love the photos of your bible study group, I have been a member of a group for many years. It has been life changing in so many ways. I love my support group too. Have a great week.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Loris... what a great name... yes, my prayer gals,,, with whom we pray and study God's Word is a great blessing to me... God provided them for me I needed spiritual people around me... women who believed in the power of the Holy Spirit and prayer. I miss that component from our previous church.... God bless you!

      Delete
  2. I have a wonderful recipe for an apple cake, but need an excuse to bake it. I cannot make it for just the two of us because : ) I am a big fan of naps! I think they should be required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI JOyce, yes, that is so true with all really wonderful desserts.. YOU need to ahve a crowd in mind before going to the trouble... because otherwise we're tempted to eat the who thing.. at least I am.... whoa!! Have a marvelous day!

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun in your prayer group ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~