Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge


I get excited when it's time for


Click the icon to return !

1. What would you say is your strongest sense? I would definitely say the sense of smell.. I have a very sensitive nose for someone who has really bad seasonal allergies... For example, we have a neighbor, mind you, who lives down the street and around the corner who has a swimming pool in his back yard. To heat it , he has rigged something up connected to his barbecue pit... and he burns the foulest wood and sometimes yard clippings .. now that smoke rises and wind blows it right over to our house where it descends and infiltrates our atmosphere.. He fired it up this morning because today is probably our last really warm day.. Suddenly our bedroom was filled with putrid smoke at about 5 a.m. and, of course, we had to close our windows and now turn on the a/c... This is a bane of life to me... but, alas, there is nothing that we can do about it... oh, we've called everyone... it is our of our control...one of several reasons we are thinking of moving!


2. Do you believe in the idea of a 'sixth sense'? Why or why not?
If you  are speaking if intuition  then yes,   I am very intuitive,,,  it has actually saved our bacon a few times...  ie, the 2008  economic crisis..but  I  cannot  really divide where it may be  intuition or just  God's blessing on me.. through his Spirit.  I  do know it is  because of His deep love for me for when it kicks in, it is  a  huge blessing...here is an example.. I inherited my mom's apple dishes  which I love  but four of the cups and saucers were missing.  I really  wished  to  replace them because  we always used these dishes for Thanksgiving and what is  pumpkin pie without coffee. One day I was driving  home from the grocery store and  something told me , "Stop in at the consignment shop" I mean it was a very strong impulse even though I had  perishables in the car I thought well , maybe, if I spin through quickly. I  strolled  down the aisle toward the  dining implements.. my favorite  area of any consignment ... I usually have my eye  pealed for transfer ware... and  there  they were 4  brand spanking new looking  Apple   coffee cups and saucers..  for  8 dollars.. 


 Abba Father is  awesome and so loving!  TO Him be the glory!

3. When do you most feel like a slave to time? Explain.

During these seasons of Bible study.... when I am small group leader.. because I really dedicate myself to doing the best job I can, and I do believe that in that the Holy Spirit brings things to me that connect dots of understanding that are so wonderful... last week it was a Ravi Zacharias video I happened to watch... and as I was flipping through the channels of tv one afternoon it was Robert Morris's teaching on sin... the differences between transgression and iniquity.. I gather all my resources,commentaries, Bible concordances, and dictionaries, and my Greek lexicon Bible because I never know what fascinating item will pop out on the page.. I love this in depth study, but it does take time..

4. Have you ever worked in a restaurant? How would you rate the experience? If you could own a restaurant what kind would it be? NO, I know I could never handle those horribly laden trays.. I would have law suit after law suit heaped upon my head. By the same token, I would have no interest in owning a restaurant... all the investment of money, time, sweat equity, and probably blood and tears, is not for me.. When I love to dine out it is always Chinese...and Id never attempt to try to run a Chinese restaurant!
Image result for chinese restaurant
5. Ever traced your family tree? Share something interesting you learned there.

I love genealogy...  and  I am fortunate  to  have access to many sources..  On my  dad's side  a relative had traced our line back to  Braunschweig, Germany...  

Image result for braunschweig germany
I had  5  great  great grand fathers named  Jacob.. the first  of which  lived in Germany  and three of which are buried in a family cemetery in  SW Virginia.  On mom's side  her sir name is Cox  and  we actually have a Cox book printed in the 1950's about the Cox Clan how they  were  Quakers  from Cotswold area of England 
Image result for quakers cotswold england
(Quaker Meeting House in Cotswold)
 who settled in Pa. in the late  1700's and  my  great great grandfather and his brother  served in the  Confederacy. The brother  was captured and held in a POW camp in the north.  After the war  upon his release he was   making the long trek home  and was so weak and  ill  a kindly  family took him in and  served him dinner.. He ate too much,  foundered and died  on the spot.
My Irish side of the  family are Higgins... and I  recently  tried yet once again after many  previous  attempts to  push back beyond a John Higgins who married  Fanny Boggess    whose  previous  family  were of the founding  families of Virginia  and whose land marched along side of  the farm of John Smith,,, who married  Pocahontas.. Finally  upon study  someone had researched and found  John Higgin's  line  reached back several more  generations to    Barnstable, Massachusetts..  right  outside of Plymouth..  His ancestor Richard  arrived  there in 1622 and  bought a homestead for 22 bushels of corn!
Image result for barnstable ma

6. What did your childhood bedroom look like?My bedroom was also the guest room... so I had very little  stuff  just sitting around.. There was a corner desk that  I used to do my homework but  I had organizational  things to keep my "stuff"  and  would  put it away in the closet  when we had   company.   The walls were painted a  soft golden  yellow  sort of a country  golden color... and the drapes were  an early American  print fabric with medallions  or  oval   miniature like  paintings of Dolly Madison..  the  rest of the  print  was  very  early America  style  print....my goodness I found it...

Image result for early american fabric dolly madison

 The  knick knacks were  early American  figures, my lamp had a bald eagle on it..   and the  bedspread was  a green  damask...  Not  very  little girlish,,  but as an only  child  I was  a pensive  reader.. not very athletic or rambustious  at all.  When I played with my dolls  I had the run of the house as long as I  put everything away when I was finished!

7. Anyone who knows me knows I love everything British, Scottish, and Irish!!

Image result for scotch irishImage result for anglophile lover
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Hubs and I were   have just returned home from  looking at something that takes me hugely by surprise...  Gas logs,  with  a new fireplace doors/screen..
Hamilton Glass Fireplace Doors
This is the  door insert I love  in bronze...the Hamilton.. I  name it for future reference.
16" Real Fyre Burnt Rustic Oak Vented Gas Logs
 I have been wanting  gas logs for so long  and I do believe that since I didn't make it to the beach Hubs is  working this out for me and I'm taking it to the limit. I will have  what I want  or nothing..  Let the  battle commence  HEHEH..  No I don't even think there will be a battle... He is being  terribly sweet  about it.. the battle will be getting it done sooner rather than later... HMMMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~