Thursday, May 19, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge


Click the icon to return to Joyce's page!
1. Tell us about a time you found yourself 'in the middle of nowhere'. Was this deliberate? 

A few years ago after I retired I became very involved with the ladies' summer Bible Study and right off the bat, it was planned that we would go on a ladies' retreat. I was so excited I was probably the first one to sign up... One of the ladies said she had an old house in West Virginia that her family used for summer vacations so it was decided we'd go there. Now it was a country house with no running water so we each had to take a gallon to flush the toilet,.Ok.. my grandparents were good pioneer stock.. I knew all outdoor privies so  this  would be a cinch!No problem.Well, I was a driver and we all fell in line to follow Jan away from Virginia into the uttermost mountains of West Virginia. I could no more find where we went than the man in the moon.. But after we drove about four hours we made a switch back turn and started going straight up for about another hour.. there were the most eye opening shanties along this road and one had to wonder this must be Appalachia.. but yet we continued.. I know we must have passed the Hatfield and McCoys place about half way up... and soon there were no more houses, but yet up we climbed..

I was beginning to wish this was couple's retreat... or least that we had brought along a big dog. finally we were  pulling off the road down through a field through a clearing right at the top of the mountain...  and there before us was a dilapidated old farm house.. this was to be our home for the weekend.. NO cell phone then... thankfully there was electricity but no form of communication... I would say we were in the middle of no where... BUT.. the Holy Spirit did show up in ways I'd never experienced Him before,. but that is for another post and another time.




2. What's something you're in the middle of today or this week? 
We're in the middle of planning some home improvments that I truly hope will be accomplished before fall... the first is re- painting the master and doing a complete makeover... that isn't the hard one except I need to remove wall paper. yuck! But we have to have a professional redo the half bath downstairs... that requires tearing out a hall closet to enlarge the bath, all new reset fixtures and all new shower and floor tiling.. Finding the professional poses our largest problem... Can"t get anyone to do such a "small" job!






3. At what age do you think 'middle age' begins? What does it mean to be 'middle aged'? 

I think around 50ish... I think of middle age as when your children are leaving the nest for college or marriage... now I was a late bloomer and Amanda didnt graduate high school until I was 53 which was also the age I retired after my 30 years of teaching...I definitely took a left turn in life trying to reinvent 

myself.


4. Ravioli, stuffed peppers, samosas, deviled eggs, steamed dumplings, peirogis, or a jelly donut...your favorite food (from this list!) with something yummy in the middle. Your favorite not on the list? 
As a  lover of Chinese food I  love    Chinese dumplings.. (gouzas)  as well as  stuffed wontons  and egg rolls..

5. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying,"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Would you agree? Have you found this to be true in your own life? Feel free to elaborate. 
Like  I'd say many people I  was  always one to,  firstly, desire to take the safe road...  stay in my comfort zone and coast... but there is no challenge in that.. and thankfully, I had friends and  mentors  in my life that pushed me out of the nest and taught me to fly...it is through  the challenges we face that  fortitude and endurance are forged and we gain the confidence to move even into deeper water.. I have learned that it is when my feet cant touch the bottom that God bouys me and guides me  through my life..  there are many vistas of great magnitude experienced only in the deeper places  and higher  altitude.That is where we learn to trust    and  we actually  become pliable vessels  for Him!


6. What's a song you remember loving from your middle school years? Do you love it still? 
I would have to say  I fell in love with  this one in 1962  
Now I was  just beginning Spanish lessons...  but I didnt learn it in Spanish..hahaha  but, I would sing  it all the time..I think singing this song is what put my groove on... I was  really  led to  enjoy  smooth jazz and  walk with a bit of  swagger... as this tune  became a part of my DNA!  heheheh

7. May 18th is National Visit Your Relatives Day. Will you celebrate? Which relative would you visit if time, distance, and expense were not considered? 
NO question about it.....our daughter's family!

Alas, I must  wait yet another month to get to see them..
8. Insert your own random thought here. 
We have tickets to  the airshow with the  Blue Angels this weekend  and it has  been raining for the last couple of weeks  and  pretty chilly! After  praying for the rain to stop  by  Sunday.. we just heard  the weather man give the latest update.."Sunny... 72 degrees!!!"  Now that is a praise!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~