Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Wednesday Hodge Podge


From this Side of the Pond


Click on the icon to return to Joyce's page

1. January is National Mentoring Month. Have you ever had a mentor? Been a mentor? How would you rate the experience?
As an older woman who has experienced  a bit of  drama,trauma,  and  severe struggle and loss,I have been asked a few times to mentor younger  friends through difficult or  trying situations.  In earlier years it was to  help  other  young  'expectant' mothers through  the long term   foreign adoption process.. That  was a joy to  relive  our own  journey remembering the  impatience and  excited expectation!  
More recently, I have  aided a  younger friend on the struggle  and responsibility  ensued with   difficult aging parents... We had  very similar situations with both parents and  I believe  just knowing  that  she wasn't alone through the process helped her.

2. What current trend makes no sense to you?
We have discussed this one lately..  I am almost incredulous in how  this younger generation  are  not interested in quality  in their  home  fittings.  I mean  Ive been told  , Mom you have nothing that interests me  so just get rid of it...  Yet,  all  that seems to be wanted is the    junk furniture form Ikea  and Target. No interest in dinnerware,   heirlooms,    or  anything  of  a nice quality... I  just don't understand...  I chalk it up to  a  disconnect in the generations.

3. I saw a cartoon on face book highlighting a few 'weird' things that make you happy as an adult. The list included-writing with a nice pen, having plans cancelled, freshly cleaned sheets, eating the corner brownie, cleaning the dryer lint screen, and sipping coffee in that brief time before anyone else wakes up. (Credit for the cartoon goes here) Of the 'weird' things listed which one makes you happiest? What is one more 'weird' thing you'd add to the list?
I do love freshly cleaned sheets....  insurance for a well slept  evening,  but more than that, I cannot seem to keep track of my nice new pen..  I detest writing with a scratchy ink pen..

4. What's the last good thing you ate?
Well, we certainly haven't had anything really good since we returned home from Boston on December 29th.There  Amanda cooked  for most meals and she is an amazing chef..and everything is made from scratch  of mostly fresh winter /root veggies from  their farm share.I loved the Butternut squash soup..  but since then we did stopover   on our way home  in sub temps on Montage Mountain  near Scranton.  The wind chills  that day registered in our car -49 degrees in some plays.. I am not  kidding !  There we   ate at Longhorn Steakhouse and  got some wonderful comfort food..  That baked potato and   hot buttered bread  was pretty good..the steak was  good too!  Hehehehe

5. Describe life in your 20's in one sentence.
My 20's were transformational, transcontinental, and transitional, to say the least!

6. Insert your own random thought here.
I actually have  reason to be searching  the net for spring break vacation rentals  in Myrtle Beach.  We haven't done this in over ten years so I am  pretty excited about the prospect. I'm hoping that this will include our kids,  but if not  Hubs has pretty much committed to going, just us,  sometime this spring!
Our usual haunt is Land's End
Image result for lands end myrtle beach
with it's pristine  beach there at land's end by the nature preserve.
Image result for lands end myrtle beach

2 comments:

  1. I am familiar with below zero wind chills. Those of us in Minnesota have been experiencing them since Christmas. We've consistently had -25 to -45. It warmed up to 40 yesterday and I wanted to break out the shorts and flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 20-something daughter had us store hubs grandmother's antique bedroom set for her future home. Makes me so happy to think about it : ) We love antiques, but don't have a houseful as it's trick to make them work in the more casual style lake home we have now.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~ I am so happy to have my return comments to you restored!

Farewell

 After  17 years of   blogging  I am  pretty sad to  just fade  out  with  hardly  anyone showing any   farewell,  concern  about my  surger...