Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Hodge Podge Wednesday

From this Side of the Pond
Double-click the icon to return to Joyce's page!

1. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or genera uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision making process and word meaning here, but this year's top vote getters are-

unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?

I would like to live in a world  where fake news  was  considered a crime and therefore we had  more integrity and confidence in  the media..but until truth and honor are  uplifted in media  then I suppose we need a term  to describe  the mire that we must filter through  as we try to stay abreast of current events.  I suppose  the hot water heater  makes the most sense...   I never thought of it but it truly is redundant! Also,  what is a nothing burger...  just simply a delicious homemade burger...  well,  I  really dislike that term.  A "burger and fries" has worked  for generations..  who came up with a nothing burger.  eh,     get rid of that!

2. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?  We need to  rid ourselves,  honestly, of about 3/4 of the stuff we have stashed in our basement..  I mean I know I  would never take it all to a new house so why am I  having to step around and over it here!!


3. Where do you feel stuck?  I had to think about this one  and I  got the image of  our downstairs bathroom  that we just cannot seem to  get anyone interested to  come and remodel for us..I needs to be  enlarged by taking out a closet and   the shower  be replaced... that is the  bugaboo...   It is a  hard  job  yet a small project  so  it has been difficult to find  anyone to take it on!!

4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?
We have a pot of soup on right now...  Vegetable Beef ....Hubs just cut up the meat...  and put it on to sear  then braise.  We like for soup  to simmer  for  several hours...   then we call out,"It's soup!"
I planned to make  soups this week because of the  frigid  weather..  We will also have a potato soup later in the week.  We go for  canned soup  especially  when we are  coming out  the flu....  Progresso's chicken and noodle  or  rice.

One of my favorite soups is  Broccoli and cheese soup. This recipe   is most like my   recipe I use...  except I just cheddar cheese!


5. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.  This spring Hubs and I are going on a bus trip to Lancaster  with our church for three days...
Our main venue will be  the Sight and Sound Theater to see the  Production, Jesus!

6. Insert your own random thought here.
When I saw the weather forecast for  this week's end,  especially for NE states  I  was  somewhat  overcome...  Today a huge Nor'easter  is bashing the coast    bringing  snow and  wind  inland...   followed by the coldest  polar vortex  we've seen..   regulars  will dip in to the  negative  double digits  then add on the wind chills..Of course I  think of  our daughter and her  precious  babies there...  praying for  wisdom and  providential protection!

1 comment:

  1. Brrrr...stay warm! It's cold here in the deep south too. My sweet kitties are fighting for my warm lap while I blog.
    Happy New Year,
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~ I am so happy to have my return comments to you restored!

Farewell

 After  17 years of   blogging  I am  pretty sad to  just fade  out  with  hardly  anyone showing any   farewell,  concern  about my  surger...